Drew

Newbie Must Read: What new system did you just buy?

On 12/14/2020 at 8:35 PM, Tony Dee said:

What is the life expectancy of the ikelite housings in your opinion? I had one a long time ago for my Sony compact (it got destroyed by being dropped, but am more interested on normal use)

I'm a Nauticam owner so can't say or me - however i have a friend who has owned an Ikelite for 3 years and it is without any major scratch (he's a dive instructor and uses it almost everyday).

That said if you drop it (as you did), it's over.. Aluminium housing seems to be more resistant but not invincible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, waterpixel said:

I'm a Nauticam owner so can't say or me - however i have a friend who has owned an Ikelite for 3 years and it is without any major scratch (he's a dive instructor and uses it almost everyday).

That said if you drop it (as you did), it's over.. Aluminium housing seems to be more resistant but not invincible.

It's a really tough question to answer as it depends on how you use it and how you maintain it.

Arguably, as waterpixel suggests, they are not as robust as aluminium ones. That said, I know lots of people who have had them for years and are perfectly happy. But, yeah, don't drop it ( not that I would want to drop my aluminium Subal housing either!) and they do seem more prone to camera alignment problems than aluminium ones. They are much bulkier too than aluminium.

Ikelite have an excellent customer services reputation and certainly if you are in North America, easy access to servicing.

New to the forum but have a Fantasea housing for my Canon G9X mark ii. Bought the G9X mark ii second hand to suit the economical housing. Looking into second hand sea and sea ys-D02 strobes,a tray and a wide wet lens. Any recommendations or advice?

11 hours ago, IrishMike said:

Looking into second hand sea and sea ys-D02 strobes,a tray and a wide wet lens. Any recommendations or advice?

Hi IrishMike

Welcome aboard! 

It might be worth a search on WP on the YS strobes. I think you'll find some mixed views.

I'd suggest strobes, and their associated arms, are one of the few bits of an underwater system which can grow and stay with you if you switch systems. Housings, camera bodies are at the opposite end! So it's worth putting a bit of time, thought and planning into strobes purchases.

You'll see on WP posts that lots of users have Inons (especially the Z240) which have proved very popular and reliable and appear as secondhands in the Classifieds from time to time. The new Retras (Prime and Pro) are also becoming popular items - but are more expensive and hard to find secondhand.

Thanks for the great advice Tim, much appreciated.

Looks like there has indeed been some issues with the Sea & Sea stuff in the past and looks like inon may well be a better option so thanks for that. Good point about your trays and strobes lasting through multiple camera iterations perhaps also, will research and ensure I get quality. Might start with one strobe and progress to a second after time?

10 minutes ago, IrishMike said:

Thanks for the great advice Tim, much appreciated.

Looks like there has indeed been some issues with the Sea & Sea stuff in the past and looks like inon may well be a better option so thanks for that. Good point about your trays and strobes lasting through multiple camera iterations perhaps also, will research and ensure I get quality. Might start with one strobe and progress to a second after time?

Most welcome, Mike

Inons are a very good option. I used them for around 15 years (until switching to the superb Retras) and never had an issue. 

For sure start with one strobe, see how you get on and move to second when you are ready. Ideally though you want the second strobe to be the same make/model as the first so if you are gong second hand, bear in mind time frames for availability. Say for example you went for a second hand Z240, that model is now discontinued and it's hard to say for how long you'd be able to pick up another one. Although they have been very popular.

If your budget allowed, you could always buy a new Z330 (the successor to the Z240 and relatively new) and then wait to get a second. 

Check out UCLS for arms etc. Unbeatable quality and longevity. Mine are over 20 years old and good as new. Combined with "Stix" floats, I think they are a great combination. UCLS arms and components often appear in the Classifieds.

On 11/20/2020 at 8:07 PM, tomunderwater said:

I have the following set-up: 

-Sony a6400
-Sony 10-18mm lens f/4 OSS (15-27 full frame equivalent) for wide angle shots 
-Sony 50mm f/1.8 OSS (75mm full frame equivalent) for fish portraits and (quasi) macro shots   
-Tokina 10 - 17mm f/3.5 -- f/4.5 fisheye lens (no supporting zoom gear with my housing so I set it to 10mm) 
-Two INON z-330 strobes 
-Nauticam tray/ball and clamp arms 
-Sea frogs salted line housing with a standard (glass) flat port and 6 inch (acrylic) dome port 

So far I'm pleased with this rig.  Happy to answer any questions re: this equipment! 

Tom 

Ah brilliant, I've been trawling all over here and scubaboard to try and find somebody with this rig! I've an a6000 and I've just picked up the tokina 10-17mm because I really wanted to try my hand with the fisheye. I'm looking at the salted line housing with the "6 dome. Would you be able to help me with any of the following Tom?

1) Are you using the sigma mc-11 or metabones adapter? Any issues with hunting autofocus underwater with natural light?

2) How do you rate the salted line housing, have you dived it much and have you had any problems with leaks from that bottom pistol grip bulkhead?

3) Would you be willing to share some pictures taken with the tokina in the 6" dome?

Grateful for any input, as I'd really like to know if this combination is viable before dipping in.

Thanks, Jon

I'm a Canon guy. I use the 5D lll in a Nauticam housing. Since I do mostly large animal pictures I use the Canon 24-70mm image stabilizer with Retra strobes. Very happy with it. I also use a Canon 60mm macro.

Sponsors

Advertisements