Sign in to follow this  
echeng

Performance Questions -- please read. important. :)

Hello, all. I've had some feedback from those of you far, far away (Seychelles, and Bali) that server performance is much slower than it was before. From my end here in Northern California, the server is blazingly fast, and the new forums are about the same speed as the old forums were.

I'd like to get an idea of how fast the boards are for you. Can you answer the poll question, if you have time, and then post where you are from and how fast it is from there?

Also, please let me know what kind of connection you are on.

Hi eric,

I'm on a 1 MBit SDSL Line (exlusivly used by me my girlfriend and my servers) and the board seems to be a bit slower. I'm not sure about transfer of the data, but the page rendering (the tables) takes longer. (Using Mozilla)

Simon

I'm in Hong Kong, using a broadband connection, supposedly 6Mb/s. I don't notice any difference in the speed.

-David

Seems a little faster on the data side, but I did notice that when I first go to the forum page, the icons for forum status seem to take a while to display. It looks like it has to do with caching, because if I turn caching on and tell IE 6 never to check for a new page, the status icons don't refresh and the page loads faster. But as soon as I refresh or switch to "automatic" checking, the icons take longer to reload.

Tom

Central Texas

Essentially the same speed as before.

Connection is broadband (sliding around 500 KBPs, cable modem) at home and the university's LAN (mighty fast under most conditions) at work. Initial page load when returning after a couple of hours away is maybe 1/4 to half a second longer than before, but certainly nothing onerous.

Likewise the same performance or slightly slower in Houston. Using IE5, the page loads slightly slower - and it takes a moment for all of the icons to appear.

Cheers

James

I've already posted on the other thread that I'm one of the people having problems.

Using IE 6.0.2800, on a dial-up connection (ATTGLOBAL).

Connection speed is currently a measly 33.6 kbps, varies a bit up or more often down from that. But in the past, that's been enough to make things feasible.

That's about what I get on the SAT modem, and yes it was bearable.

Have you changed your Skin to PNlite? Maybe this will help slightly?

PNLite may help slightly. I can try to reduce it EVEN further, or make a "real" no-frills skin available as well.

This forum and the entire site now has good caching capabilities, so articles are only really rendered once and kept in cache until something is changed. No server hits for this sort of thing.

So either the HTML is really confusing and it's slowing down slower machines, or the pipe between the server and people out there experiencing slow load times is really slow, or high latency.

Good idea to have a simpler/quicker option for dialers, newcomers or longstanders like Scotty who cannot get ADSL.

What about about 'Anti virus' software, will that affect it?

I'm in NSW, Australia.

Found the new forum was very, very slow yesterday. Using the lite skin made it "A lot slower" rather than "Unusable".

Finding the main index is the worst ...

cheers

Lndr

Very strange. This is upsetting. :)

Questions:

Is anyone on broadband internationally, who finds the site very slow?

Is anyone on dial-up in the States who finds the site not slow?

I'm using 64k ISDN.

Lite skin took 45s to start to load forums page this morning. Much better then the full skin yesterday.

... have I just been spoilt??

That sounds like a horrible latency problem.

Can the lot of you who are having problems go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ , and PM/e-mail me your ip addresses? Include your location and connection speed in the message. I'll get in touch with our admins.

Here's another test. Please try rendering each of these pages, and tell me how fast they load compared to the actual index page of this forum (the one you get to when you first click on the forum link):

ONLY DO THIS if you are having problems with speed!

Some of the links below have images. What I'm interested in is the time it takes for the site to become usable for you. (quote this message and fill in the blanks)

Your location:

Your connection type:

Your platform (Mac/Win):

Your browser and version number:

Main forum page time:

http://wetpixel.com/test/indexpage_63kb.html - time:

http://wetpixel.com/test/imagepage_63kb.html - time:

http://wetpixel.com/test/imagepage_25kb.html - time:

http://wetpixel.com/test/simple_63kb.html - time:

http://wetpixel.com/test/simple_small.html - time:

http://wetpixel.com/test/5tables.html - time:

http://wetpixel.com/test/8tables.html - time:

http://wetpixel.com/test/12tables.html - time:

Hopefully we can narrow down the problem.

PNLite may help slightly.  

So either the HTML is really confusing and it's slowing down slower machines, or the pipe between the server and people out there experiencing slow load times is really slow, or high latency.

I'm running a new 1.6 GHz T40 Thinkpad, so I don't think the problem is "slower machines".

Being techno illiterate, I'm not sure what "high latency" really means, though I can think of a few people this might apply to. But one thing I have noticed is - when opening a new window on a Wetpixel forum or thread, if I monitor the connection - there often seems to be no bytes/packets coming over the line for quite a long time, or else the bytes come in little dribs and drabs, at 50 or 100 kbps. With other sites, once the window is opened, there is an immediate and sustained flow of data at 3,000-6,000 kbps for 5-10 seconds until the HTML page is downloaded and appears on the screen.

If that's at all helpful.

I'll be in Singapore over 8-10 February, staying in a hotel that has broadband access in the rooms. If this is still going on, I'll be able to check it then.

Hi, guys. From what I am seeing from those of you who have e-mailed me with test render times, it is not a transfer speed problem, nor is it a DB performance problem on the server.

It appears to be a problem with latency, which is the amount of time it takes to initiate data transfer after a request. Since there are so many tiny images and files that must be loaded to make this page render properly, the first request -- which has to request all of them individually -- is very slow. After that, a lot of things are cached, so it gets a lot faster. But it's still slow for those of you with high latency connections to our server.

To try to solve this problem, I will create a VERY basic skin for the entire site. You'll have all the content, but none of the sexy looks.

Not sure when this will be done, but it will be on the order of weeks, and not days. I just have too much to do right now, unfortunately. I'm sorry to delay your participation in the new board!

I found the perfect light-weight theme for y'all. I'll get it working as soon as I can!

Atlanta - DSL. About the same here.

Jim

ONLY DO THIS if you are having problems with speed!

Fortunaly I have no problems with drugs at all ;-)

Hey, guys. Just a note to let you know that I will be making the entire site look less... fancy. That should speed things up for everyone. I don't thnk the forum skin is what's causing the slow down.

If we still have problems, I'll get a lite skin running as well.

I've created a new "lite" skin. It should be much faster. Let me know what you think.

Try the bulk of the site (non-forum) to see what you think.

If the forums are still too slow, I'll have to give the PN-Lite forum skin (which you can currently choose) some more work to make it look better.

Really like the light blue over the lavendar for the bars. You will update the BB skin to match? My performance seems much better now.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements