Sign in to follow this  
fishydiver123

Tz10 vs TZ20. Magic filters vs Fantasea Nano strobe

Hi, 2 questions:

1) I am looking to buy a panasonic camera & housing, or to repair my own fx35. I can find the TZ10 for £140, the TZ20 for £175 or repair my fx35 for £100 (sounds like a crazy thing to do but when you consider that the housing costs as much as the camera...). Any advice on picture quality difference between the 3?

1) Also I am looking at either getting a magic filter for whatever camera I get, or a fantasia nano - any advice? I would get both but apparently they don't work together, and I can't remove the filter between dives.

Thanks

Don't fix the FX35. I can't see spending 100 big ones fixing an old camera. I have an FX37 and it was state-of-the-art three years ago. If you shoot video I think you would be better off with a camera that does 1080p.

My understanding is that the CCD sensors (TX10) are a little better than the CMOS sensors (TZ20). I may be wrong, so you should read up on that.

Have you considered a camera without such a big zoom? Panasonic and Canon have some nice ones with similar range to your FX35.

The choice of a filter vs flash should depend on how deep you dive and the type of pictures you want to take. The Nano flash is really best for macro. If you want to take reef scenics then you would be better off with a filter. I've had a good time using the Magic Filters.

I posted a video on youtube taken with my FX37 in a cheap, clear flexible housing called "My Underwater Case." It was about $35 and I bought it mostly to experiment. On the camera I taped a piece of filter over the lens.

http://www.youtube.com/crazybungee#p/u/6/QQEgP2pGId0

139160754.jpg

Edited by DesertEagle

Thanks for the help, but I have just discovered my camera as made a miraculous recovery, so I can keep my 100 quid. phew! Still thinking about the nano though, as macro shots are apparently the easiest underwater to start off with, and I can always use manual white balance for wide angle...

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements