Sign in to follow this  
Longimanaus

D700 wide angle lens choice

I have a D700 and I am about to buy a Hugy housing. I have the 105mm non VR macro, shaved Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye, and now I am looking for a solid FX wide angle to complete my kit. I'd like to use the Zen 230mm dome on both my fisheye and wide angle. Three choices I have come up with based on reading Ken Rockwell's reviews, but need the Forum's help for under water performance:

1) Nikkor 14-24mm AFS f/2.8 G ED;

2) Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR; and

3) Nikor 17-35mm f/2.8

My original thinking was that the VR would be good for hand held wide angle shots in the water column, but in low light I have heard it does not work. What would you go for? Are there any of these lenses that I would not be able to use with my Hugy/Zen 230 combo? Other lenses I should consider?

Once again, thanks for your help.

Matt

All are quality lens, but the Nikon 16-35mm is the poorest performer on land. However, IMO it is the best performer underwater on an FX camera.

Alex

Besides those, if you want really wide, try out the Sigma 12-24. It's nice for wrecks.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Is the 14-24mm with the Zen 230mm dome on a hugy D700 housing a good combo? Also, does the VR function on the 16-35mm work in low light? Does it ever focus breathe and drive you crazy?

If you were going to buy one of these two lenses, which would you get?

A few months ago I bought the same set as you have. Hugyphot and D700.

Glass for underwater is 16 mm fisheye Nikor, 105 mm vr Nikon and....yes the 17 35 mm wide angle.

My poor opinion about the wide angle, perfect lens. Only the prices!!!

If you buy one of the nikons, You'll never regret it, and they keep a good second hand value.

Good luck,

Thanks for the responses guys.

Is the 14-24mm with the Zen 230mm dome on a hugy D700 housing a good combo? Also, does the VR function on the 16-35mm work in low light? Does it ever focus breathe and drive you crazy?

If you were going to buy one of these two lenses, which would you get?

Definitely the 16-35! Great UW wide angle lens. The 14-24 is an amazing lens topside, but underwater does not perform as well, difficult to get sharp corner performance

I use the Tokina 12-24 mm on my D7000 Hugyfot setup and get slight soft corners with the Hugyfot 17,4cm dome.

I like this lens because it's relatively cheap, well uilt and has almost no distortion, especially above water.

Using the 23 cm dome should solve the problem with the soft corners.

I am tempted to get the Sigma 15 mm diagonal fisheye giving you 180° view and a very low distortion for a fish eye,

have a look on the Sigma Website.

Chris

Thanks for the feedback.

It sounds like the Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR is the way to go for me.

Anyone have a bad experience with this lens or the VR function?

Thanks for the feedback.

It sounds like the Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR is the way to go for me.

Anyone have a bad experience with this lens or the VR function?

I think you will like this lens; VR function has not been an issue, I'm not sure you even need it on underwater.

As with all rectilinear wide lenses there will be some barrel distortion at the periphery even with a large dome. This has not been an issue for me for diving photography, but in the pool with models there is some stretching of feet and hands in the peripheral parts of the frame. The good thing is that the periphery still seems to stay sharp rather than smudged, so can be easily corrected in post.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements