Kevster

$4.3 mill for a photo!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/201...e-ii-photograph

Time to start taking more topside photos of grey water!

Yeah I caught that earlier today. Who says basic Photoshop skills don't pay

In fact the artist carefully digitally removed any intrusive features – dog walkers, cyclists, a factory building – until it was bleak enough to satisfy him.

Or he could have just found a spot where no one was around :B):

If you want to make a lot of money selling "art", you need to first became a famous artist that way when you attach some meaningless string of philosophical jargon to justify why you took what you did and call it art.

Never underestimate the value of intellectual property...I wonder if the new owner bought the rights...or just the right to hang it on their wall?

Bit underwhelming tho' isn't it?

Never underestimate the value of intellectual property...I wonder if the new owner bought the rights...or just the right to hang it on their wall?

Bit underwhelming tho' isn't it?

Looking at it on a computer screen is one thing (it looks like a snapshot that I wouldn't even pring) but looking at it in person (it is like 12 feet long) is a totally different thing. I saw it in Munich and another smaller version in New York and in-person it is really impressive. For me not a photograph really but more like a digital painting. In any case Gursky is the hot photographer now (his 99 cent picture was the previous most expensive). The price is indeed ridiculous but if you have $3 or $4 billion in the bank, why not.

Bill

OK I get that it might look quite good printed out in large scale, but somehow I doubt that's the reason someone payed 4,3 m. for it. It might not be the case here, but there are people who just want to own THE most expencive photograph in the world, without any interest whats on it or whos taken it :B):

OK I get that it might look quite good printed out in large scale, but somehow I doubt that's the reason someone payed 4,3 m. for it. It might not be the case here, but there are people who just want to own THE most expencive photograph in the world, without any interest whats on it or whos taken it :)

Even if that were true, you can't just go and say I will sell you the most expensive photo in the world. Gursky is VERY well known in the high art circles, his pictures are in all of the major museums and only available from a very few places and even if you are Paul Allen rich, you still want to get something that your "art guru" advisors tell you is a worth the money.

Bill

wow, all in the name i guess. it's even a bullseye photo with no sense of rule of thirds or anything.. its the photo that most non photographers would take in that situation....

and to remove all that stuff with Photoshop? My god! open season for manipulation in the photo contests now :D :D :)

wow, all in the name i guess. it's even a bullseye photo with no sense of rule of thirds or anything.. its the photo that most non photographers would take in that situation....

and to remove all that stuff with Photoshop? My god! open season for manipulation in the photo contests now :D :D :)

This is my shot of a Great White Shark.. the bleakness and the pain and the loneliness. And you can have it at twice the size for half the price.

I take PayPal.

In four installments.

And will ship after the first two installments.

I trust you.

post-544-1321238339.gif

......you still want to get something that your "art guru" advisors tell you is a worth the money....

And what better to help your "art guru" than this tool - Arty Bollocks Generator

This is my shot of a Great White Shark.. the bleakness and the pain and the loneliness. And you can have it at twice the size for half the price.

I thought this art statement might help you shift your Great White Shark piece. Here goes:-

"My work explores the relationship between Critical theory and counter-terrorism.

With influences as diverse as Kierkegaard and L Ron Hubbard, new combinations are created from both traditional and modern discourse.

Ever since I was a student I have been fascinated by the endless oscillation of relationships. What starts out as undefined soon becomes corrupted into a hegemony of temptation, leaving only a sense of decadence and the inevitability of a new order.

As shimmering derivatives become clarified through undefined and diverse practice, the viewer is left with an impression of the darkness of our culture."

If that doesn't move the decimal place a few steps right then I don't know what will.....

Back to the original piece...just because its 'big' does it make it better? Or is this a case of 'don't feel the quality....feel the width"?

Edited by decosnapper

Good job Simon! Drew, i will now pay you $0.4333 for that stunning photo of a great white.. erm... fin?!

Good job Simon! Drew, i will now pay you $0.4333 for that stunning photo of a great white.. erm... fin?!

He he he....does that include the Paypal transaction fees?

I thought the longer description might not suit the delayed consumerism high paced emotion gratification needs of the current populace*. Therefore, I ran the shorter version generator with Drew's image in mind and this stunner was the result:-

"What starts out as hope soon becomes corroded into a tragedy of temptation, leaving only a sense of unreality and the chance of a new reality."

Now if that won't shift the masterpiece...Today Wetpixel...tomorrow the Guggenheim?

*I made this one up myself...am I starting to lose the plot?

Edited by decosnapper

Back to the original piece...just because its 'big' does it make it better? Or is this a case of 'don't feel the quality....feel the width"?

I am quite sure that the photo is not worth the price but seeing it in person is definitely a very different proposition than seeing it on a computer screen. It is the kind of thing that when you walk into a room with it in it, you will definitely say wow. If you then see the price you think HUH? It is definitely the largest photo that I have ever seen and that does indeed (to me) make it better than seeing a small version.

Bill

5817113419_3afce3b09e.jpg

Here is a pic of inside the stainless rense tub doing a pre dive check on my camera........ I take a 6 pack of beer....Anyone?

Regards Mark

post-1676-1321908379.jpg

In this image I explore the singular fragilty of the glass medium, i composed the image as a reflection of the fragments of our society as they lies protected by a futile cocoon of tissue, it leave the question to the viewer, what is the improbable law of physic that could burden such product of our industrial society?

Work is mixed medium, masking tape, mineral glass and packing material, care was taken to add by photoshop particles of dust and debris in the image in order to validate the negleted status of his work. oh and I made it in B&W its more artsy fartsy.

The author would like to thank the transport company in assisting in the creation of this fine art statement. as stated by the world reknow abstract underwater imager The Real Drew, I will also take Paypal, or cash or even a rain check...

Edited by Viz'art

Boy am I glad Gursky isn't a member on WP! :)

post-1676-1321908379.jpg

In this image I explore the singular fragilty of the glass medium, i composed the image as a reflection of the fragments of our society as they lies protected by a futile cocoon of tissue, it leave the question to the viewer, what is the improbable law of physic that could burden such product of our industrial society?

Work is mixed medium, masking tape, mineral glass and packing material, care was taken to add by photoshop particles of dust and debris in the image in order to validate the negleted status of his work. oh and I made it in B&W its more artsy fartsy.

The author would like to thank the transport company in assisting in the creation of this fine art statement. as stated by the world reknow abstract underwater imager The Real Drew, I will also take Paypal, or cash or even a rain check...

My next housing will be an Aquatica if it is signed by you! Of course I would not use it and just keep it in a safe box! :)

My next housing will be an Aquatica if it is signed by you! Of course I would not use it and just keep it in a safe box! :)

Hey, hey, claro que si muchacho, te le firma con plaisir!!!! :)

Hey, hey, claro que si muchacho, te le firma con plaisir!!!! :)

:):)

post-1676-1321908379.jpg

he author would like to thank the transport company in assisting in the creation of this fine art statement. as stated by the world reknow abstract underwater imager The Real Drew, I will also take Paypal, or cash or even a rain check...

Layaway option? ;)

Sponsors

Advertisements