echeng

Ultimate Indonesia 2011 official trip thread

i like the Bevan inspired Hair Metal soundtrack :)

The (topside) lighting that you had in some of those areas is spectacular. Enjoyed the near camera sacrifice by Phil, and the cute sea flea/nudibranch procession by Julie :), among all the other excellent critter findings and photography.

Those of you shooting lots of supermacro on this trip - can you detail your setups these days (and whether you're happy with it, or still trying various options)?

Really excellent work putting together the slideshow, Eric. Most people may not realize just how much time, effort, and lack of sleep goes into editing video, collecting and compiling images at the end of the trip, and splicing it all together for the broader community to enjoy.

Looks like a great fun trip. Nice to see lots of friends enjoying themselves. A critter-fest indeed! Going to find time to watch the vid/show properly. :-)

Alex

Awesome shots everyone and the video is just brilliant. Phil, I love that shot of the flea. Glad you survived your near death experience with the dragon :)

We call Phil the DragonSlayer now. The dragons were relatively calm upto that point, but they got excited by Phil for some reason. We think it was cause he had a strap on his camera that was dangling around. Julian and I got a few awesome dragon shots though with that 'polecam' contraption made by Garry. He was only happy if he was using his drills, so we gave him ample opportunity. Our Nikon D7000 interval shooting worked very well there.

Matt, Julie and I were using D7000s with 105mm and macromate and/or teleconverters. Most people were using similar setups. Nikon/Canon 100/105mm with some kind of wet diopter. We had mostly Canon 7Ds and Nikon D7000s on this trip.

A few more..

Comfortable place to settle down..

COR201111188150-M.jpg

After the guides showed us one, Julie found this one. Dont ask me how, these things look like a speck of algae.

COR201111167731-M.jpg

Another one of the mating Ocellated Dragonets with eggs visible.

COR201111065117-L.jpg

Eric noticed this fly :)

COR201110303056-M.jpg

Cor, I love that you managed to isolate the algae shrimp so well! In my shots, there is always clutter behind the shrimp.

that one flea from Phil.. awesome colouration! where was that?!? never saw it before

Mike.. Torpedo Alley. There were several different ones there. Julie later in the trip found fleas all over komodo. Even on sites like Crystal Rock. The nudi with the 4 fleas was taken at Castle Rock I think.

Eric, that algae shrimp was near white-ish sand, so the background neatly blurred away into this pleasing off-white. It's my best algae shrimp series of the trip, most others sort of disappear into a background mess like you mentioned.

Mike.. Torpedo Alley. There were several different ones there. Julie later in the trip found fleas all over komodo. Even on sites like Crystal Rock. The nudi with the 4 fleas was taken at Castle Rock I think.

Castle Rock? haha, i always have wide angle there :) The 4 on a nudi was cool too!

Yes, we have found fleas up in the north, but usually the ones that look like the ladybugs from down south.

Castle Rock? haha, i always have wide angle there :) The 4 on a nudi was cool too!

Yes, we have found fleas up in the north, but usually the ones that look like the ladybugs from down south.

At Disaster Bay (Garry's name) you can find three different types up in the shallows (6m depth) the yellow/blue striped the lady bugs and the black yellow spotted. But, they aren't highly concentrated like they are at Yellow wall. The ones at Castle rock were the ladybugs, but also highly concentrated on some things, like sponges with nudi's.

JME201111167423-M.jpg

Here's a few of mine

post-11877-1322033885.jpg

post-11877-1322033900.jpg

post-11877-1322033908.jpg

post-11877-1322033919.jpg

post-11877-1322033927.jpg

post-11877-1322033935.jpg

post-11877-1322033942.jpg

post-11877-1322033949.jpg

Plus a dragon shot or two...

post-11877-1322034060.jpg

post-11877-1322034068.jpg

Thanks for a wonderful trip guys. You might be pleased to know that after the correct buttons were put on the Seacam D7000 housing it performed flawlessly, after a bit of tweaking and a lot of swearing. Anyone thinking of buying one please PM me for an unbiased review HA HA!

Julian

echeng_algae_shrimp.jpg

Here's a few of mine

Thanks for a wonderful trip guys. You might be pleased to know that after the correct buttons were put on the Seacam D7000 housing it performed flawlessly, after a bit of tweaking and a lot of swearing. Anyone thinking of buying one please PM me for an unbiased review HA HA!

Julian

Fantastic series!!

echeng_algae_shrimp.jpg

Underwater photographers are a strange species. :)....

I like it. I am always left explaining to people how small certain subjects are and that illustrates perfectly.

Todd

Some stunning and wonderful images, looks like everyone had a great trip.

At Disaster Bay (Garry's name) you can find three different types up in the shallows (6m depth) the yellow/blue striped the lady bugs and the black yellow spotted. But, they aren't highly concentrated like they are at Yellow wall. The ones at Castle rock were the ladybugs, but also highly concentrated on some things, like sponges with nudi's.

Interesting.. never heard of Disaster bay.. will have to ask Garry, thanks

Interesting.. never heard of Disaster bay.. will have to ask Garry, thanks

Disaster Bay is Gary's name for the little bay around the corner from Pelican Head, where he flipped a tender once...

Haha.. I have no idea where Pelican Head is either! I use the local names as that is what is on the charts :)

South Komodo i guess? Obviously he has made his own names rather than what is on the charts :)

It's the bay across the channel from Yellow Wall.

Sponsors

Advertisements