echeng

Ultimate Indonesia 2011 official trip thread

fantastic collection of images all! :)

It's the bay across the channel from Yellow Wall.

Right, i asked him and here is a quote from Garry...

"I generally make up my own names for dive sites to piss other people off."

That sounds about right :)

Finally got a chance to see the slideshow - awesome!!! Seeing the dragons jump was fascinating - I knew they could run fast but never knew they could jump!

...and Eric, was that a L___o in the Nauticam cube?

I loved all the images especially the slideshow. Just awesome.

Everyone seems to have left today, but I have an extra day here to work on pics and add to the thread. It was an absolutely fantastic trip!

That's excellent stuff!

Tim

:)

Hey, could somebody tell me what is the deal with the steel rod I see a lot of people carrying?

I saw some divers a couple of months back on our Turks & Caicos boat using them and they told me they got them diving in the Philippines. One of the divemasters made a comment how he didn't like them because he felt they encouraged people to poke at critters and live coral/sponges, but I guess that's like anything else, it's how you use it.

Are they better for helping to hold you in-place with current or surge? I usually just find a non-living spot and put my left hand index finger on it to hold me, but with surge that becomes problematic.

Great photos, LOVED the slideshow Eric.

If I might *really* be a pain in the butt, it would be great if the participants chimed in with their exact equipment setups. I noticed Eric had his 3D Gopro and as mentioned you guys and gals had mostly 7D's or D7000's -- what else did you really like using or what else was a "bust" equipment-wise? Was most of the video from the 7D/D7000's or other sources? Did everyone backroll in holding their rigs (great video perspective on that BTW) or did others have their gear handed down?

Take care,

John

Edited by johnspierce

Slideshow. Watch full screen for best results. :)

[vimeohd]32494028[/vimeohd]

Great video Eric. Looks like you guys had an epic trip!

Eric, I bet you just sold 10 more trips on that boat with your slideshow. I'm still a bit dazed just watching it.

JP

John, Julie and I use this gear:

3 x Nikon D7000 (1 spare), 2 x Subal ND7000 housings, 2 x Inon Z240s, 4 x YS110 (2 spare) all strobes with fiber optic connection, Stix float arms, 2 x Nikon 105mm, 2 x Tokina 10-17mm, 1 x 1.4 TC, 1 x macromate, 3 x hartenberger focus lights (1 spare), ultralight clamps.

We had 1 minor malfunction. The AE-L/AF-L button on the back (re-assigned as autofocus button with autofocus removed from release button), did not work properly on 1 of the subal housings, driving Julie insane. It looked like there's a spring that wasn't working right. We took it apart ourselves and re-seated everything, which helped a bit, but not very long. Then Garry the cruise director did it again, and ever since things have been working ok.

I know 1 person had a lot of trouble with his housing, but i'll leave that up to him to discuss if he feels like it :)

There were 3 floods, one pretty serious, but amazingly no gear was damaged. Leak detectors rock.

Eric, I bet you just sold 10 more trips on that boat with your slideshow. I'm still a bit dazed just watching it.

JP

It's what I do. :)

Although... each trip's slideshow is getting more and more complicated, and I'm not sure that I can keep making each one better than the last—a slideshow like that takes over 20 hours of computer time to produce, not including all the time spend gathering video footage (and fighting with poorly-released software like Final Cut Pro X).

WOW, outstanding images like always!

Great photos, LOVED the slideshow Eric.

If I might *really* be a pain in the butt, it would be great if the participants chimed in with their exact equipment setups. I noticed Eric had his 3D Gopro and as mentioned you guys and gals had mostly 7D's or D7000's -- what else did you really like using or what else was a "bust" equipment-wise? Was most of the video from the 7D/D7000's or other sources? Did everyone backroll in holding their rigs (great video perspective on that BTW) or did others have their gear handed down?

Thank you! I shot all of the video shown in the slideshow using GoPro HERO HD cameras, Canon 7D, and Canon S95. The underwater footage was a combination of 7D and GoPro (you can generally tell). The GoPros were mounted in Eye of Mine housings, both 2D and 3D, and used ball adapters from ULCS to mount to housings and to a telescoping pole.

I didn't see many people backroll in with their rigs, although those of us shooting video would often do it because there were no dangly strobes attached. ;)

Nicely done Eric. I love the cloud movement from the topside footage.

Stew

Thank you for sharing the show Eric. Must be some kind of record trip with so many great photographers at the top of their game.

Amazing images!

Steve

Oh so very JEALOUS of everyone's amazing finds and resultant phenomenal shots!!! Loved the video, although I was disappointed that it didn't contain a reprise of "Poker Face" ;)

Allison

The mating ritual of two cockatoo waspfishes (Ablabys taenianotus). In the last of the three frames, the two cockatoo waspfishes are swimming up into the water column to release eggs and sperm. Kalabahi Sound, Alor, Indonesia.

echeng111031_182003.jpg

At a second viewing, I have a few questions about the video/still techniques used. In many scenes, it looks like a tripod was used -- did any or all of you bring tripods? Underwater ones? Gorillapods? Enquiring minds wish to know ;)

Also, I can see when everyone was chasing dragons around Komodo you had pole cams. Did you bring the materials with you for the polecams or makeshift everything when you arrived? This could almost be a sticky in the "Techniques and Tips" forum - "How to make a polecam".

And finally, Julie -- my wife was totally captivated by all of your nudi shots, can't wait to see them in their full glory on your web page. Yours too Cor, you have some wonderful stuff.

Fantastic stuff from all the photographers on this trip. We can't do Komodo in 2012 due to other vacation commitments, but definitely in 2013!

thanks,

John

All the polecams were made on the spot by our fearless metalhead Garry ;)

Hello fellow wetpixillians,

I finally made time to finish my Indonesia gallery.

http://www.bluereefphoto.org/p97338710

Most of the 20 day trip was awesome diving in Komodo with great people and plush accommodations.

I also visited a fish farm and a fishing village in northern Bali.

Thanks to everyone on the boat for such a memorable trip!

Frank

Great shots, Frank! I'm glad you nailed some subjects during the black-water night stuff we tried. Also, the bombed reef shot is striking. Anyone who hasn't seen the effects of bomb fishing should check it out: http://www.bluereefphoto.org/p97338710/h2a635097#h2a635097

Hello fellow wetpixillians,

I finally made time to finish my Indonesia gallery.

http://www.bluereefphoto.org/p97338710

Most of the 20 day trip was awesome diving in Komodo with great people and plush accommodations.

I also visited a fish farm and a fishing village in northern Bali.

Thanks to everyone on the boat for such a memorable trip!

Frank

At a second viewing, I have a few questions about the video/still techniques used. In many scenes, it looks like a tripod was used -- did any or all of you bring tripods? Underwater ones? Gorillapods? Enquiring minds wish to know ;)

Only one person used a tripod, and from what I saw, he mostly used it underwater to do self portraits. I did video stabilization in post—no one can hold an SLR housing that steady. :)

Very nice collection, Frank. Really like some of weirdos you found, particularly planktonic ones!

Alex

Sponsors

Advertisements