Fontaine

First Dives with WA Setup

Hello,

Heres a link to my better shots taken during a recent trip to Gili Trawangan, Lombok, Indonesia:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fontainedento...57628137689257/

This was my first dives with my WA set up and I would love to hear any constructive criticism or comments you may have.

Thanks,

Fontaine

Hi Fontaine,

Looks like you had a great time. I can see how you were experimenting with balancing the exposure, you did very well on your first trip. It's tough at first to learn just how close you can get with the W/A on and still get a pleasing frame and composition.

Looking good,

Steve

There are some really nice images in the collection.

As far as constructive criticism (the worst kind?) goes there a couple of things that strike me:

1) I get the impression that you don't reposition or turn down the power on your strobes (I guess that you are using two from the lighting in some of the images) enough, so a few images are too dark and the highlights are too bright on others. It's taken me a long time to get used to this, and I still get it wrong...

2) A few of the wide angle images are too "busy", that is, the composition is spoilt by bright or obvious elements away from the subject. You have everyone's bad luck in divers who just won't pose properly...

Tim

;)

Thanks guys, really do appreciate the feedback.

Tim you hit the nail on the head, I pretty much always had the strobes at full power for all my WA and macro, i figured i must of been doing something wrong, I will try and work on adjusting my settings and using less strobe power.

My poor wife is also constantly being directed by me to look here and look there and stop looking into the lens and for god sakes stop blowing bubbles, hopefully ill have her properly trained soon ;)

One thing I really noticed trumping around with two strobes and big arms and constantly trying to think about manual settings etc.. was that my air consumption went way up, so much so that I am interested in getting a rebreather now, my wife would have over half a tank and i would be in need of a safety stop!

Fontaine

Sponsors

Advertisements