Sign in to follow this  
Alex Brown

Canon 10-22mm OR 16-35mm USM I

Hello everyone,

I was wondering what some of your thoughts might be on filming with either of the two lenses in the title. I only have the budget to put one of the lenses in the water on my 7d with an Ikelite body. I have a 8" dome port and can easily get the correct port extensions for either lens.

Just the question of what lens!? Granted, the 10-22mm is wider, but after you zoom into 12mm to remove vignetting is it worth just using the 16-35mm that offers a better aperture? (but would one use a 2.8f under the water anyway??!).

Thanks, Alex.

I'm a DSLR video newbie and presently I'm shooting video with the 10-22 and only at the wide end. When a suitable port becomes available I expect that I'll be using the Sigma 8-16 instead. But as you are unable to focus on the fly, an aperture of f/5.6 or f/8 gives a good depth of field. f/2.8 would require critical focusing I believe.

Are you finding you have enough ambient light while shooting on f/8? What ISO are you likely to film on and where are you filming Tim?

I am filming in the Maldives over the New Year so will have lots of available light. I do have a 50mm macro lens for tight stuff.

I shoot with the 10-22mm on the 7D, but I've used the 16-35mm topside and it is a wonderful lens and I'd also second the Tokina 11-16mm recommendation from Jon. I'm actually thinking of buying the 11-16mm for topside specifically for the f2.8 but if you go below f5.6 underwater on the 7D you are not going to have a decent DoF for WA footage.

Cheers, Simon

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements