leighd

Protecting a SLR housing for surf photography

Im thinking of taking my Aquatica D7000 housing out for some surf shots and obviously a bit worried about damaging it and was wondering if anyone has ever tried making some sort of soft (neoprene maybe) cover to wrap around the housing with access to the main controls?

Somehting that will also keep the housing pritty buoyant incase it comes out of my hands.

Ive taken some surf shots before with an ikelite with a 8 inch dome, and there were a few times were i was pritty worried the dome may just get ripped off from the waves, but i think the Aquatica with a 4inch dome should be pritty solid, i just want a bit more protection.

Any advice?

Are you planning to do over / under shots? If so you need the 8" dome.

If you want it more secure you can pull a vacuum on the housing. If you pull 10" of vacuum on the housing it will require about 50 lbs of pull to remove the dome with the clips disengaged. It will also create a much better seal on the surface. http://www.uwcamerastuff.com/housing_sentry_works.htm

If your not doing over / under shots you could use a smaller dome line the Precision 5" Dome http://www.uwcamerastuff.com/precision_5_dome.htm

I think you may have to build a costume cover with control access hole in it out of 5-7mm neoprene. Anything thinner wouldn't provide a lot of flotation or protection.

Depending if you're using a port extension or not, your ports will lock with the Aquatica d7000 housing. If you use extensions with your dome, then Aquatica has a port lock extension that works very well. Part No. 18469. Many dive shops offer neoprene regulator bags that are fairly inexpensive, I'd get those as they zipper shut and simply cut areas where you need access to. What sort of surf shots do you want to do? If you just want images of a wave breaking etc, then inexpensive foam floats can be cobbled together, just visit your nearest boat/marine supply store and check out what they have.

S.

IMHO I wouldn't dare to take my diving housing to a surf break, unless it was a reef break that had a clear channel and I was going to be some distance away. but this isnt a good option either as in order to get good shots you need to be right in the impact zone and as close as possible. If I were you I would just buy a surf housing, they are relatively inexpensive compared to diving housings, around 1,000USD for housing and port and they are bomb proof, a much better option then risking a flooded camera or severely damaged dome port.

Sponsors

Advertisements