Drew

Best/Favorite image of 2011

I'd not noticed the itchy chin aspect of that shot before, Tim. :-)

That's because it's not the version I put in my trip show: I only spotted it in my "maybe" file yesterday, and noticed the itch!

post-4522-1323978162.jpg

This is the other version, I now think that it's not as good.

Tim

:)

Edited by tdpriest

My favorite image of the year as much for the fact that the sharks are still there, as that I was able to capture an image I had seen in my mind for years.

6025746617_113ca46fcf_b.jpg

Pura Vida at Alcyone by Jaw's Dad, on Flickr

Cheers,

Steve

Steve:

I've always wanted to see that sight: I'm not sure that my diving skills are up to it any more, as I sink into decrepitude...

... it's a really evocative image, every time it's taken, and none the worse for being repeated.

Tim

:)

Thanks for the complement Claus, I really appreciate that; This particular photo was shot with:

thanks for the answer john,will try that in the next dives.one more question:shutterspeed 1/320 is faster than the sync-speed for flashes with the d300.my textbook says 1/250 should be the fastest

possible.my d300 is getting a black stripe in the image when i go faster than that.whats my mistake.

very good help from you

claus

- 10-17mm Tokina Fisheye at 10mm

- Ikelite DS-125's on "Full", Manual

- 1/180 sec shutter

- F/19 aperture

- ISO 200

I usually just keep the aperture between f/19 and f/22 for these shots and shutter varies between 1/180 and 1/320. Also, I have better luck when I'm at least 40 feet down or further; shallower and the sunball really starts to blow out.

Oh -- and check to see that you have 14 bit color depth turned on. 12 bit will not render sun balls as nicely.

Safe diving,

john

This is my favorite for the year (link below), is my first time diving with Whale Sharks and playing witht eh Canon EF8-15mm Zoom, I like the "A World of its Own" effect and the impression with Remoras it looks like a bomber. :)

http://www.mattiovaska.com/photo/102336/7346/

Matti

I guess its hard to find the best and favourite as there is often so many different types of shots and subjects. Here is one of my favourite shots of 2011, It was taken in the first week of getting my new Nikon D7000.

5623972140_40b83c0af5.jpg

Nikon D7000 in aquatica housing with dual Ikelite DS161 strobes

Tokina 10-17mm 2 10mm

f9, 1/320th, ISO100

I simply love shooting Manta's as they a simply a beautiful animal and I am lucky to live in a area where they visit often over summer. The image reminds me of the curious nature and companionship that these animals give when I dive with them. Often joining me at the start of an hour dive and enjoy playing with me all the time until I am forced to get back to the boat. It also reminds me of summer time with warm clear water and beautiful lazy days.

Regards Mark

This is my favorite for the year (link below), is my first time diving with Whale Sharks and playing witht eh Canon EF8-15mm Zoom, I like the "A World of its Own" effect and the impression with Remoras it looks like a bomber. :)

http://www.mattiovaska.com/photo/102336/7346/

Matti

That one was really cool, Matti!

/Bent C

Here's my three favourite shots of 2011...

Taken in the Resurgence du Ressel back in June - this is probably my favourite photo of the year... brings back some great memories of some fabulous diving! Cave diving rocks!!!!!!!

compo.jpg

And I'm also quite pleased with this shot I took on the Rowella back in September...

4g45df.jpg

And - last but not least - my favourite remote strobe shot...

2zsti6x.jpg

Great shots everyone.

These are my two fav shots from this year.

The underwater shot because it reminds me of a fantastic time working in Cairns on the Great Barrier Reef and the top side shot because it just finished of a really special day.

post-24789-1324088096.jpg

post-24789-1324088124.jpg

My favorite image of the year as much for the fact that the sharks are still there, as that I was able to capture an image I had seen in my mind for years.

6025746617_113ca46fcf_b.jpg

Pura Vida at Alcyone by Jaw's Dad, on Flickr

Cheers,

Steve

If I could only dive one place again it would be Alcyone! Magical.

Not a novel shot but after 30yrs of diving this was the first time we saw Flamboyant Cuttle Fish, they were everywhere!

6526196433_0c2d47e5cc_b.jpg

My favourite 2011 photo was a photo from one of my favourite cave dives this year. It was a photo dive where I finally felt it all come together, and every time I hit the button I was getting good results. This shot was made bittersweet because two weeks after it was taken, the lead model and my close friend died while diving. This was the last weekend of diving we did together, and I keep this shot on my wall and above my desk.

5443960703_b03f9781ac_b.jpg

Ag and Ken in Tank Cave by Liz_Rogers, on Flickr

I think it's interesting that I also had a cave diving photo published in National Geographic Magazine this year, but this shot has more emotion attached to it for me. It's the photos from the best dives that we like, which may occasionally also be the "best" photos.

Edited by errbrr

Heres mine!

Shot at Babinda Creek, North Queensland

6530226057_3362b7b9b1_z.jpg

Wow excellent photos everyone..

My favourite from this year...... taken in malapascua. All i needed to make the trip complete was a harlequin shrimp or two!!

post-5029-1324281408.jpg

Here's one taken from a live-aboard trip completed just last week, an (unedited) JPEG taken during a late afternoon dive deep on the walls of South Caicos, "Spanish Chain."

i-HJc7TXJ-M.jpg

Unfortunatly I didnt dive in the amount that I am used to in 2011, but I managed 20 or so dives in Eilat and this is my favourite one:

original.jpg

Fabulous images everyone, I look forward to this thread every year. My favorite image came after a 15 year quest to see a whale shark. I know the classic shot is mouth open, but this guy was looking at me so intently, a brief connection. This one is my favorite.

Fletcherpost-3320-1324314843.jpg

I always love this thread. Fantastic photos everyone. Here's my choice:

post-23527-1324323187.jpg

I have some shots that I maybe prefer personally, but this one ended up on the cover of the Roatan divesite guide book so that makes me happy. Taken on the mast of the El Aguila wreck in Roatan.

Cheers,

dano

I am actually still working on this technique but I'll post anyway. The shot is a +10 Subsee of Tunicates. However, I am trying to turn it into a watercolor-like painting. Essentially the background will be water-color like but the foreground will maintain the clarity of the photograph. D-300, Af-105VR f/32 1/250

post-1589-1324323769.jpg

Here's my favourite of the year.

This was taken during a trip with my wife and a few from our local dive club to the Maldives. It's a destination I always dreamt about, so we jumped at the opportunity.

I had got a 100mm macro lens for my birthday from my wife, but didn't get a chance to get it in the water before the trip. Most dives were going wide angle- with the hope of Manta's and Whale Sharks (which didn't disappoint).

I like this shot because it seems so surreal, being able to clearly see it's "teeth". I have it printed 12x16 in the entrance to our unit and it looks so menacing, even though the Anemonefish is tiny!

post-19234-1324384166.jpg

Breaking with tradition, I'll start the fave/best shot thread since everyone else more qualified is busy. I was thinking of which shot to post: Marlins, sharks, whales, baitballs, penguins etc etc... but one shot stood out among the thousands I took this year. Now this subject has few peers when it comes to the underwater kingdom. He is the only animal whose eyes are filtered, almost magically! All other animals behave around him like adoring puppies, even humans! Why? Because he is Doctor Alex Mustard, and he is the most helpful, kindest and genuine guy you can find. Nobody can say anything bad about him and everyone loves him. He has no critics (well one other!) because he is a happy uw photog.... or is he?

Yes, more important than finding the rarest shot of marlins mating with dolphins and giant squid playing nurse maid to flamboyant cuttlefish, I finally shot the real Alex Mustard. Beneath the kind, gentle and to many... sexy (rrrrwoowrr!) exterior hides an angry man. He may take fantastic photos of people in diving positions, but secretly he is really ....

Thought I'd put one up of him too :)

70e079af.jpg

Hot Rocks, Komodo

Here's one of my favorites from 2011.

This summer was one of the best for Loggerhead Turtle nests here in Palm Beach, Florida. On this dive we must have seen close to a dozen on a section of The Breakers reef called Turtle Island, you had to watch out drifting or you would crash into one!

Happy Holidays,

Gary

post-19424-1324410389.jpg

Fab images everyone ..beautiful!

This pic means so much on so many levels, and marks the point where the lights finally came on...my first time in Bali...my first visit to Indonesia...my first time south of the equator....my first Bintang..

my first underwater photo workshop... where I was truely free to make pictures...and dive with kindred souls......

It was inspirational, magical....and unforgettable.

Dedicated to those that were there, and to those who inspire me here.

Thank you, and happy snapping in 2012.

:-)

post-18600-1324420928.jpg

My best moment of the year was spotting this juvenile ornate ghost pipefish on a recent dive trip in Anilao. It was very close to the bottom and I almost had to dig a hole in the sand to get an upward shot against open water :) Other firsts for me this year were a mantis shrimp with a huge clutch of eggs and capturing the amazing courting display of the male sand diver.

Merry Christmas to all.

post-1323-1324423748.jpg

Sponsors

Advertisements