miniman

Tokina 10-17 or Canon 8-15

Hi after the sad loss of my wife in what has been the worst time of my life it is time to get back in the water and more importantly get my 7d in a case. I have already decided on the Nauticam (phone call on the way Alex) and was all set to get the tokina but with the 8-15 now available (I know it's more expensive) is it the better option or should I just stick with the tokina.

I have done the usual Internet search and the images do look a lot better with the canon but I also know the tokina is no slouch as many of you use them with great results.

So my question is given the choice which one would you buy or is there any need for both. Regards Mark

Hi after the sad loss of my wife in what has been the worst time of my life it is time to get back in the water and more importantly get my 7d in a case. I have already decided on the Nauticam (phone call on the way Alex) and was all set to get the tokina but with the 8-15 now available (I know it's more expensive) is it the better option or should I just stick with the tokina.

I have done the usual Internet search and the images do look a lot better with the canon but I also know the tokina is no slouch as many of you use them with great results.

So my question is given the choice which one would you buy or is there any need for both. Regards Mark

Heres a helpful link. Basically yes the Canon is definitely better if you can afford it.

http://www.reefphoto.com/kb.php?id=30

Heres a helpful link. Basically yes the Canon is definitely better if you can afford it.

http://www.reefphoto.com/kb.php?id=30

Hi and thanks for the reply. I had seen the article and have spent hours browsing the web. Will the canon be as versatile as the tonika underwater?

Hi miniman,

I have both lenses for the 7D and Nauticam.

Presently I do not use the Sigma u/w as its performance behind the Zen 200 in not good enough whilst the the Tokina's is excellent.

I guess its a matter of preference, If your w/a subjects 'tolerate' the tadpole effect or barrel distortion (or benefit!) from the Tokina (at the wide end) then you are 'good to go'. However if you seek a more 'benign' view of the world the Sigma may be the glass of preference. A soon to be released rectilinear dome port from Nauticam may prove to be our financial undoing...

Maybe this helps, Tim

Edited by Timmoranuk

Hi miniman,

I have both lenses for the 7D and Nauticam.

Presently I do not use the Sigma u/w as its performance behind the Zen 200 in not good enough whilst the the Tokina's is excellent.

I guess its a matter of preference, If your w/a subjects 'tolerate' the tadpole effect or barrel distortion (or benefit!) from the Tokina (at the wide end) then you are 'good to go'. However if you seek a more 'benign' view of the world the Sigma may be the glass of preference. A soon to be released rectilinear dome port from Nauticam may prove to be our financial undoing...

Maybe this helps, Tim

Hi Tim and thanks for your input. The other lens though is a Canon not Sigma. I have now decided

and ordered the new Canon lens. I guess it's just too new to get many people's thoughts. I will be

buying the Zen 100 dome to go with the lens. Mark

Edited by miniman

Hi, Mark -

My fiance and I have used 8-15 mm lenses since September. Dive sites have included the Solomons, Curacao, and our local CA waters, and my guess would be that we've done at least 60 w/a dives in that time. We have two housed Canon 7Ds and a housed 5D MkII between us, and since we almost always dive as a team, to us, this lens is very versatile!

On a 7D, it is our opinion (as demonstrated by Ryan at Reef Photo et al) that this lens is sharper than the Tokina, and has almost the same zoom range (you will be limited a bit in comparison, but not much). It has given us beautiful results so far, and I very rarely zoomed my Tokina much anyways, so it's been a nonissue. Since I got my 8-15, I have only used my Tokina once, and that was because I wanted the zoom flexibility during a particular dive and didn't have a zoom gear compatible with the housing I was using for my 7D.

Just in case you ever plan on diving a full frame, I'll add this, too... While the circular aspect is a bit - well - gimmicky at times, it can work very well to create beautiful, incredibly unique images with certain subjects. I believe Alex Mustard has said here before that he sees this lens on a full-frame camera as either an 8 mm or a 15 mm lens, and I agree. Since my UW option on the 5D right now is a 15 mm FE, that's no biggie. We're still figuring it out at 8 mm - it does seem that there is a bit of chromatic aberration (with OUR gear) at the 8 mm end, but it isn't noticeable unless you really magnify your image and is easily fixed with a slider in Lightroom. We haven't done any detailed comparisons yet between the 8-15 at 15 and the Canon 15 mm FE - I haven't personally noticed any difference, and I haven't put the 15 mm FE back on since I bought my 8-15!

If you have the money, I'd go with the 8-15, but you could always start with the Tokina and upgrade later. The Tokina is an awesome lens!

Good luck with your decision -

Allison

Edit - you posted just as I wrote this - congrats on your new "baby" - enjoy it!

Edited by vetdiver

Hi Allison and thank you for your reply. Always nice to hear that someone has had good results with an item before buying. Should arrive tomorrow. Just hope I can do the lens justice. Mark

Wow these lenses are come at a premium price point! More expensive than a 7D! Are they really worth the money over the Tokina? :)

Edited by gee13

Wow these lenses are come at a premium price point! More expensive than a 7D! Are they really worth the money over the Tokina? :)

In my hands at first probably not but with lots of practice I hope so :-)

Sponsors

Advertisements