Sign in to follow this  
sharky1961

socorro best time?

Hi

I am plannning a trip to Socorro next year what is the best time??

Rob

Best time varies depending on what you want to see. I like the first trips when they open up in Nov. Likely encounters with whale sharks, mantas, hammerheads etc and the water is still warm (low 80-high 70's though you might hit some thermoclines). Getting in Jan onward you will see the humpback whales from the boat and if lucky while diving though I think thats not too common. Of course hearing them underwater is nice. Water is cooler at this time. You will also have encounters with mantas dolphin and various species of sharks. I can't talk about the spring months since i never was there then.

I was there over Christmas. Saw tons of mantas, lots of galapagos and silky sharks. Quite a few hammies and a few schools of dolphins. water was cooler and not the best vis some dives. But incredible anyway. Whale sharks started showing up at Roca partida on the next trip.

I just returned from Soccorro last night. The trip ran from Jan 26 - Feb 3 and this seemed like a great time to visit. The weather was excellent, with temps of about 75F both above and below water. We did see Humpbacks from the boat, and frequently heard them singing under water. Certainly no shortage of Mantas and we saw large schools of Galapagos, Hammerheads, and dolphins who were eager to play with the divers. I was really blown away by this trip, and for me it was even better than Cocos last year.

[vimeohd]36180863[/vimeohd]

Resurrecting this thread. Anyone been in Feb/Mar? I know Bonnie Pelnar likes early April...

Thanks,

Phil

Been there a bunch of times between Jan and May.

I'd go with March. Never been there early in the season.

I was there this March. The visibility was not ideal for photography. Weather was cool, windy, hence some sites were not available. Water temps were chilly. You'll need a 5mm with hooded vest or 7mm with hood.

Cheers,

Marli

I was there over Xmas. Pretty decent but the water was rocking. Just getting into the skiffs took acrobatic balance.

steve

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements