Sign in to follow this  
SimonSpear

Divemaster Insurance UK / Frontier MEDEX

Hi all

Does anyone have any experience with Divemaster Insurance (UK) and/or FrontierMEDEX in a Medical Emergency? I'd really appreciate your experiences if you are able to share and if not publicly then please feel free to PM me.

Cheers, Simon

Edited by SimonSpear

Hi Simon,

Maybe this is straying off topic, but I now insure myself with DAN Europe.

For what its worth, I had one 'incident' in the Maldives where I had an issue with pain in my lower left leg after a dive, and was worried that it might be indicating something worse i.e. bend.

I made a call to DAN, and they rung me back within the hour.

I was in conference with one of their medical advisors, and after detailed history (was asked alot of questions specific to my symptoms) the issue was resolved in that my problem was nothing more than a muscle strain- so great sigh of relief!

Must say that DAN were great in this instance, and they rung me back again within 24 hours to check up to see how I was doing.

I used to insure myself with Divemaster many years back, but thankfully I never had to call on them, so I cant comment on wheither or not they are good.

The reason I switched was becaused they changed their insurance policy conditions some years back-in that they would only insure divers from within the UK.

All I would say is that I would (at the very least) expect this level of courtesy and support from my insurance provider, if I found myself in this situtation.

Hope this helps

Best

D

Divemaster have been good for me Simon.

Medex was fine when I was evacuated from a Red Sea live-aboard, although I wasn't a diving casualty. I've happy to stay with DiveMaster and Medex, although I also carry DAN cover...

Tim

:)

Hey Simon,

Don't they have DAN insurance over there? I have found DAN insurance to be excellent. I would avoid Depp however. By the way, are you a BSAC diver?

Steve

By the way, are you a BSAC diver?

Steve

Lol!!! Cannot wait for the reply :)

Dean

Dean B....what? Did I stick my foot in my mouth? Again.

Steve

Dean B....what? Did I stick my foot in my mouth? Again.

Steve

It's a running joke between me and Simon :) he's a PADI diver and I'm BSAC ... Nothing serious really (bit like PADI) :B):

Dean

I like Dive Master Insurance as I found the team there excellent to deal with. I have my equipment (inclu camera gear) insured with them, plus I use the annual travel policy.

I've never had to use it thank god, but from the way the staff talk to you when I have a query I would imagine they would be good. As someone said before they use MEDEX who seem very professional. I checked out a few different solutions and for me Dive Master was the best.

Back in the early 90's my dive shop was the first BSAC shop in the U.S. and myself and the other two owners were the first BSAC Advanced Instructors in the States. Haven't instructed in many years but Eric Cheng was originally one of my students and so was certified by BSAC. Not even sure whether I am still a member or not, probably been dropped. Hope BSAC doesn't go the way of Padi though. I hear they are coming out with two new certifications. The first is called ' Padi's Get Your Left Fin Wet" the second is 'Get Your Right Fin Wet" to be followed by their advanced class ' Get both fins wet...At the Same Time". Ah Padi, anything for the money.

Steve

Its worth noting that Divemaster equipment cover (if specifically selected) covers you for flooded cameras. I dont think there are many insurance companies that do this but interested if anyone else knows otherwise?

Yes, my cam gear is covered by DAN insurance and when I had a flood many years ago they took care of it right away. Depp is known for taking forever to settle claims and then they only replace your gear with the same piece so if your camera was 4 years old and, if given the chance, you would move up to a newer model, they won't send a check. Somehow, they would locate the same model you had and send you that. I was with them a long time ago and was not happy. Very much so tho with DAN insurance.

Steve

Hi guys,

Actually DAN Europe (as opposed to Americas) does NOT cover equipment at all. I think we need to be careful here as incorrect advice can cause some serious problems!

Divemaster standard policies do not either, but you can have separate specified equipment insurance with a additional premium.

Often, your portable possessions cover in your home contents insurance will cover camera gear-it is worth checking as this is by far the cheapest.

Adam

Thanks for the info Adam. I wonder why DAN Europe doesn't also offer insurance, aren't the DAN US and DAN Europe just two branches of the same DAN organization?

Steve

Again just to clarify, DAN Europe do offer medical/repatriation insurance but not equipment.

DAN Europe and DAN US are separate businesses. They are not branches of the same organization! I believe that they operate on a form of franchise.

All DAN insurances cover you worldwide.

Adam

Hi all

Sorry for not being around to contribute after I started this post, but thanks everyone for their input.

Unfortunately we've had an awful experience with Medex during a recent medical emergency. I can't really go into too many details at the moment, but will make all the facts available when I can.

Cheers, Simon

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements