Marsh

Canon 100mm 2.8 L IS and Kenko 1.4 TC

I just purchased a N-600D/T3i set-up with dual Z-240s's and iTorch 4 for video/focus light. Plan to use a Kenko 1. 4 TC for WAM with the Tokina 10-17 and super-macro with the Canon 100mm. I'm torn between getting the newer Canon 100mm 2.8 L IS lens vs the prior non-IS. Initially I wanted to save some bucks and get the older version. However, I realize I'd love to use the IS for surface photography both in macro and as a medium tele for people shots, etc. I've been told by some good divers that there is focusing problems with the L-IS version and TC's. I've read posts verifying the focus issues, mostly chattering and endless hunting where the lens won't come into focus, but the non-IS will.

Today, I found a slew of artciles that say the IS version works great as long as one uses the latest Kenko 1.4 300 Pro DGX model with the green dot, rather than the prior DG model which appears not to work for most. Some of the posts, including UW ones (without TC) say the IS version has a few slightly better things going for it, including faster focus, plus it has the focus limiter switch, that the non-IS doesn't have. One diver mentioned the use of IS when shooting video, which I hadn't considered, but will be doing so with the Tokina.

I'd rather spring for the IS and have a great lens to use on the surface, etc, but not at the cost of having issues with the rig under water when I'm using the 1.4TC on it. Have any of you used the IS version successfully with the Kenko 1.4 TC or employed the use of the focus limiter switch to speed up focusing? Moreover, turned the IS off to help with matters? I realize the Canon 7D has a better focusing system and even special firmware to increase focusing speed when working with macro lens, but I'll be using the lessor focusing system on the T3i and wonder whether the new IS with it's better focusing will help or hinder?

Thanks for listening to all of this...I'm so tired thinking about it after all the decisions going into an SLR system after my easy to use G9 rig. Hopefully someone with experience with the new Canon 100mm IS can help me swing my decision or those who are having success with the older non-IS and the T2i/T3i focusing system. Let me know what works with TC and what you are using.

Best :-)

Edited by Marsh

It doesn't help you directly but just to say my 100mmIS does not work with my Tamron 1.4TC. All my other lenses are fine with it. So it seems there is something inherently different about the 100mmIS. I am using a 5Dmk2. Hope you get sorted.

I don't know the filter sizes on the two canon 100mm macro lenses, but I'd make a guess that if what you want to gain by using the Kenko 1.4x teleconverter is larger than 1:1 magnificaton, you might get better sharpness by using one of canon's 500D close-uip lenses instead of the teleconverter.

Sponsors

Advertisements