vazuw

Dry suits

I currently have 3 DUI dry suits - a CF200 (mainly used back when I dove in New England years ago), a TLS350, and a FLX Extreme. I previously owned a Bare suit, but it didn't fit me as well as DUI's stuff. I can highly recommend DUI, and I especially recommend you look at the FLX Extreme (a reinforced trilaminate that dries as quickly as a TLS). I got it in spring of 2011 and have put over 200 dives on it...it is the best suit I've owned.

Keep in mind that I am biased towards DUI because I live in San Diego about 5 miles from the service center...but also because I regularly see one or more of their employees (at all levels of the company) diving locally. It wasn't long ago that we were diving a wreck on the Mexican border and surfaced to discover a few of them waiting for us to pull anchor.

Best, and good luck - as with all dive gear, it takes some time and experience to decide what works best for you :D

Allison

Edited by vetdiver
  • Like 1

One other thing - should mention that we now have 2 friends (one male, one female) diving the new Bare drysuits - I believe it is the SB system - RAVE reviews so far from both divers, and they look really awesome. My girlfriend is a very experienced diver who has used DUI, Whites, and Bare, and she couldn't stop going on and on about this suit. Lightweight and stretchy, and a very flexible, unusual flat (??) zipper. My only concern would be the zipper - how long will it last compared to a more standard zipper, and what is the cost to replace..? Certainly the latter information could be acquired right away, but the former question might require some time to get a non-manufacturer reply :D

Allison

The fit is the most important aspect: go MTM if possible but leave plenty of room for undergarments. If like me you have the sveldt grace and curve of a racing snake, it will pay dividends in the long run!

IMHO, a dry suit is not only for sub-surface use but also for the surface internal and top-side travel.

I use either an O'Three 2mm compressed neoprene or a 5mm non-compressed neoprene coupled with either Fourth Element Xerotherm or Arctic. In mid-winter in the UK I can manage 90-120 minute run times with the 5mm / Arctic combination.

Call me a big girls blouse but I do use a full face mask in the winter (with a gas switching block)...

I wear a MTM Scapa Scuba 9mm neoprene suit with xerotherm artics, bowstone warmer and Buffalo walking top with a pee valve, 9mm hood and lobster mitts. I can do an hour in 6degC.

i think my point is that you shouldn't be afraid to add layers: the sea is cold and if you are taking pics you are not going to be moving. like your mum said, put a jumper on!

HTH

Thanks to all who responded. I got alot of good information.

Hmmm....not too happy to hear that as I am getting measured up for a Northern Diver suit this weekend....Any particular reasons the ND does not do it for you?

I have a Northern Diver Cortex, so does my wife. I'd have to agree, my next suit wouldn't be a ND. Admittedly, they are both pepper dry but; we've dived <50 dives in ours, they're washed in fresh water and dried after every dive (we take good care of our gear) and I've had problems. Sticky zip, sticky valves, poor bouyancy control, the trilaminate has gone "fluffy" where it rubs on my cumberbund.

I used to have a Hydrotech neoprene and it was a lovely suit by comparison but; it leaked.

I went for a Seaskin in the end...not bad but it is my first suit so i have nothing to compare it to! It cost less than $1000 and custom size so not bad for a first suit...

If you want an Otter, they do a lightweight suit. Keeping warm depends on what you wear beneath it. You may find this site useful: http://www.divernet....1/0/25/Drysuit/

Whites have been bought by Aqualung since the 'Scubapro' Whites suit was reviewed.

Edited by John Bantin

Hi

I use 0three RI100, which i have used for the last 6yrs with PBB system, both of these are great, plus you get great customer care.

I have dived in 2dec with this set up, its never the body that gets cold. i just need better gloves as it is always my fingers after about

30mins start getting cold.

Andy

Sponsors

Advertisements