Sign in to follow this  
resappraiser

Olympus XZ-1 Owners/Users

I've been looking at this camera for a possible purchase for U/W photography (definitely amateur stuff at my level). Would like to hear from some of the Oly XZ-1 folks what they like/dislike about this particular camera. Thanks.

Bob

I've been looking at this camera for a possible purchase for U/W photography (definitely amateur stuff at my level). Would like to hear from some of the Oly XZ-1 folks what they like/dislike about this particular camera. Thanks.

Bob

My only dislike is that the flash doesn't fire when in "Super Macro Mode".

Off course you can use "Macro Mode" and wetlenses. But the is my only dislike.

Actually there's a way to overcome the supermacro flash thing.

The trick is that focus in supermacro,then (without moving ur camera) change the focus to Manual focus.

the flash will fire in MF.

Its a hassle alright, but if u really need to use it then this is the way.

I have only one regret of having this camera.

The video is just poor. But there are people who managed to pull it off with some minor tweaks in settings.

But i suggest you used it with an external strobe.

The housing's port is long therefore it can illuminate the onboard flash.

If i could suggest a better one, i would say go for the new s100 or G12.

one of the reason i didnt buy the canons because of their port thread to add wet lens.

with the xz1 adding a wetlens is a breeze with the 67mm thread.

Once you have adequate image quality, the most important thing in uw photo, is shutter lag and auto focus.

This is because you are trying to get a shot before the fish swims out of frame. And everything is moving, you, the fish, the background.

The best compact camera out today is the panasonic lx5. It is much better auto focus than any of the nikon, canon, or olympus cameras. And has good solid video, again the best of the bunch.

Here is an only slightly out of date review of the 3 best compact from reef photo and video, who also support this site, and are great to do business with.

http://www.reefphoto.com/kb.php?id=28

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements