Rocha

Nikon announces the D800

I spoke with Harald Hordosch is SEACAM over weekend about his plans for D800. He will support it , of course, as it will be a very significant camera for uw photography. It will be a traditional SEACAM Silver design, not the Prelude concept. I assume most manufacturers will support this one.

I spoke with Harald Hordosch is SEACAM over weekend about his plans for D800. He will support it , of course, as it will be a very significant camera for uw photography. It will be a traditional SEACAM Silver design, not the Prelude concept. I assume most manufacturers will support this one.

My dream housing is a SEACAM or a SUBAL.......unfortunately the price is a very important aspect.

GHN

For the last few years the Euro has been strong against the dollar, but it is much weaker now. So housings that seemed very expensive a few years ago - may now be merely expensive in America! ;-)

Joking aside - it is always worth double checking the prices - because the exchange rates do fluctuate considerable - especially when you are talking in 1000s for uw housings.

Sorry for dragging this off topic.

Alex

The sensor used inside the D800 was jointly developed by Nikon and Sony and will be used by the next Sony FF dSLR or SLT camera. So D800's samples also reveal what's in store for Sony users as well!

Nauticam have just announced the Nauticam NA -D800 will be priced at $3600 USD. Pre - orders have now opened so contact your local dealer.

They are anticipating an April ship date.

For the last few years the Euro has been strong against the dollar, but it is much weaker now. So housings that seemed very expensive a few years ago - may now be merely expensive in America! ;-)

Joking aside - it is always worth double checking the prices - because the exchange rates do fluctuate considerable - especially when you are talking in 1000s for uw housings.

Sorry for dragging this off topic.

Alex

Alex is right about the effect of currency exchange. 18 months ago we had to price SEACAM at a euro worth $1.50. Now it is $1.32 and prices in us dollars have dropped. But then again, when we started importing them the Duetchmark was worth 75 cents. Euro zone contagion may influence prices. Maybe.

Edited by StephenFrink

I just got an email from Amazon about my expected delivery date for my D800. January 04 - Jan 08, 2013

I am sure that this is incorrect :lol:.

Edit People are freaking out at Nikonrumors, as many people just got the same email delivery date. What Fun !

Edited by Don in Colorado

What size memory cards are you guys ordering? 32 or 64gb? Are there any estimates out there about how many pics in one of those?

Luiz, the D800 has 2 cards slots. The file size should be around 39-44mb (NEF RAW 14bit compressed) depending on ISO etc. But the battery is CIPA rated to 900. So let's make it an even 1000 pics. 64GB is probably the way to go for both CF and SD, if you are going to do backup of files and esp if you shoot RAW uncompressed 14bit. I usually put the RAW on 1 card and jpg on the other, since it's faster to process and weed out the junk in jpeg. Then just toss out the corresponding RAW files.

And given the file sizes there will be time advantages in making selections based on the jpg.

Just how big these files will get during processing will be fun - my D300 raw files regularly balloon to 200Mb inside CS5.

Paul C

(D800 on order)

Definitely. The only caveat is when one wants maximum fps and buffer. There is a hit in speed when storing RAW+jpg, esp when separating them to different cards.

For those who have not seen it (I saw it shared by Thom Hogan) - this is worth a peek.

While the advice in it is good, there is an implication (from Nikon) in the fact it has been published that some people who purchase the D800 may not be up to shooting it! :D

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/o/Y6wrkA9OU_...calGuide_En.pdf

Alex

Does anyone know if you can use the D800 video for professional use?

I remember there was a kerfuffle a little while back with the D7000 purchase agreement stipulating the video shot with the camera could only be intended for personal use.

Just wondering if the D800 carries the same stipulation for video as the D7000.

I remember there was a kerfuffle a little while back with the D7000 purchase agreement stipulating the video shot with the camera could only be intended for personal use.

No such agreement came with my D7000 when I bought it.

No such agreement came with my D7000 when I bought it.

It's in the manual for the AVC license. But then again, I think every MPEG licensed camera has that.

It's in the manual for the AVC license.

The what now?

In every manual for video capable DSLR, there is a MPEG-LA AVC notice.

In every manual for video capable DSLR, there is a MPEG-LA AVC notice.

Sorry. I was making a joke about reading manuals.

The D300s shoots Motion-JPEG and so doesn't have a notice - I just downloaded and checked.

Add a :D ... easier on the internet to understand sarcasm! :)

Add a :D ... easier on the internet to understand sarcasm! :)

Are you being sarcastic now? ;)

Some D700 vs D800, high ISO comparisons. If these are valid, the D800 is pretty impressive. The posts are JPEGS, but it looks like the D800 is going to easily allow 800-1600 ISO shooting which is what I need to cover most shooting situations.

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/02/22/nikon-d8...spx/#more-34060

Edited by loftus

Jeff (are we allowed to call you by such an informal title after your big win), I know you are just sharing the link, but how come the D700 records the subjects larger than the D800? Assuming the same lens was used (you'd hope so in a test) then the higher megapixel camera would show the subjects larger if zoomed in to 100%.

So according to these tests the D800 producing cleaner files than the D700, but lower resolution! If there is any truth in them they are probably labelled back to front. Or, most likely, total BS designed to generate hits for Nikon Rumours (which they just did from me)!

Alex

Jeff (are we allowed to call you by such an informal title after your big win), I know you are just sharing the link, but how come the D700 records the subjects larger than the D800? Assuming the same lens was used (you'd hope so in a test) then the higher megapixel camera would show the subjects larger if zoomed in to 100%.

So according to these tests the D800 producing cleaner files than the D700, but lower resolution! If there is any truth in them they are probably labelled back to front. Or, most likely, total BS designed to generate hits for Nikon Rumours (which they just did from me)!

Alex

If I were in your neck of the woods it would be 'Lord Jeff' for sure. :lol:

Yeah, I agree, lots wrong with the tests; that's why I was not sure if they were valid.

Guess I'll wait to test my own.

indeed, but none of the "crop modes" really matter cause that's all they are, digital crops. something we can all easily do in post.

i.e. for those that would ponder 15mp with the tokina 10-17mm, why not just leave it in FX mode and crop as needed. its the same thing the camera's doing except you get all the extra data.

A DX lens' image circle is still larger than a DX sensor and DX zooms often will have a partial range that will fully cover an FX sensor. granted it could be crap in the corners but i have seen it work. my tokina 11-16mm was quite decent at 16mm on my D700, before I got a full frame superwide.

The other question is how the metering would be affected going full frame with tokina 10-17mm in the range between 10-14mm.

Sponsors

Advertisements