Rocha

Nikon announces the D800

Hi Andy,

I cannot open the link.

Did you also shoot with the 16-35mm??

Rob

There is a square that shows up between info and page when you open in the browser, I found that deleting this gets you there.

I'll probably get a D800 soon but speaking as someone who regularly takes pictures that get published, the Editor of Diver Mag (UK) asked me to write a caption for next month's cover picture. He gave me the file number but the picture I found on my library HDs was different. So I went in to his office and looked at the file there and discovered it was not a .NEF but a .RAF file. Not only that but I hardly recognised the picture because the art editor had cropped a section of the original DX frame that was smaller that the nail on my pinky.

What does .RAF signify? It was shot years ago on a Fuji S2 Pro! The quality was excellent thanks to a conversion with CS4 (not even 5 or 6).

I'll get a D800 so that I have aft deck credibility but I'm not sure that it will make me a better photographer.

Edited by John Bantin

Thanks Don. I cannot see why my original link did not work. I will be trying the 14-24 when Aquatica produce the housing and this will, hopefully, produce outstanding results for stills and video. I have mentioned to Jean about the importance of being able to connect an external recorder to capture the clean HDMI output.

Edited by Andy Davies

Thanks Don. I cannot see why my original link did not work. I will be trying the 14-24 when Aquatica produce the housing and this will, hopefully, produce outstanding results for stills and video. I have mentioned to Jean about the importance of being able to connect an external recorder to capture the clean HDMI output.

I think in general housing manufacturers should pay attention to the cable access door to allow users to have access to all the inlets and outlets, mic headphone, USB and HDMI. A sweet solution would be some type of prewired bulkhead that would allow external connections of choice, with a nice clean plug in of all the cables to the camera.

Despite the D4 being far less popular than the D800 for underwater photography - I suspect we'll see D4 housings first, simply because the camera was announced considerably earlier. And those housings will give us feeling for how housing manufacturers will deal with this new requirement.

Alex

Alex,

I would expect just the opposite, that D800 housings would appear first and be made by almost every serious housing manufacturer. If I were a housing manufacturer, I probably wouldn't bother with a D4 housing as sales will probably be so meager that getting a reasonable return on the effort will be difficult unless the D4 fits into the manufacturer's D3 housing with very little changes. The time difference between the introduction and availability of the two cameras was quite brief. The pricing and features of the D800 also appeal to a far wider section of the general pubic and, in my opinion, to underwater photographers. The D800 costs about half the price of the D4. And is smaller and lighter which allows a smaller and lighter housing. Easier to travel with. The D800, because it has a pop-up flash, has a flash compensation button which allows a photographer to have excellent control over any i-TTL flashes WITH the camera held to your eye. This allows you to shoot different iTTL flash outputs very easily and very quickly. And shooting with flash is something that most underwater photographers do on almost every shot. In my opinion, for any photographer who uses flash a lot, the D800 is the more professional camera. The higher frame rate of the D4 might be of some advantage if you are shooting only ambient light pictures of subjects like large marine mammals. But virtually no underwater flash can recycle fast enough to keep up with even the D800's faster frame rates, so when shooting with flash the much faster frame rate of the D4 is of very little value. These are the same reasons I chose the D700 over the multiple variations of D3. And why I'm buying D800's instead of D4's.

And with a little luck and some skilled machine shop work, I'm hoping to be able to fit D800's into my D700 housings.

Fred

I certainly agree with your logic, Fred. That's why I also chose F100 over F5, D100 over D1x, and D700 over D3 (although I did do 4 trips with the D3 before the D700 was available). My exception was D2X over D200, mainly because the D200 had a significantly poorer sensor and much poorer AF.

That said, I think that the housing makers have been a little surprised how soon the D800 arrived and the delay on the D4 closed that gap further. But I based my expectations on the fact that most started work on the D4 housings as soon as it was announced in January and therefore projects were well advanced before the D800 became a reality (despite the fact some of us were already using it - I didn't tell any housing manufacturers about it until it was officially announced). But I don't doubt that for a moment that the D800 is the far more important camera for underwater photographers.

It will also be fascinating to review - to see how much of the resolution can be realised in wide angle and whether switching to DX mode is a huge benefit or just a frustration that you are throwing away 2/3s of your resolution. I honestly don't have a clue to the answers - and I think that is very exciting!

Alex

I got a mail from Seacam.

They expext delivering date for D800 housing in june!!!!

Rob

[quote I will be trying the 14-24 when Aquatica produce the housing and this will, hopefully, produce outstanding results for stills and video. I have mentioned to Jean about the importance of being able to connect an external recorder to capture the clean HDMI output.

Hi Andy,

don#t you think that a external microphone would be useful also???

is it possible for you to shoot some extreme macros to look for the optimum f-stop ( for max dof)before diffraktion starts to be a problem. I am coming from DX and shoot extreme macro with F-stop 28-36. would you think that would be possible with the D800?

Rob

I am definitely interested to see how you do with the 14-24, and what setup you use. I have yet to be impressed with the performance of this lens behind a dome from others' images, and still prefer the 16-35

Two reasons for this post; first to post a pic of Talia - our inspirational 12 year old neighbor who has endured 5 years of chemotherapy, radiation and surgery.

And then one more D800 image, now in the studio. Never owned a MF camera before, now I do. Had to tone down the skin detail with Portraiture plug-in.

_JMH0579%20-%20Version%203.jpg

Edited by loftus

I am definitely interested to see how you do with the 14-24, and what setup you use. I have yet to be impressed with the performance of this lens behind a dome from others' images, and still prefer the 16-35

I was speaking with Jean from Aquatica at LIDS and he pointed out this problem. I've only used the 14-24 with a DX sensor so far but I expect the edge sharpness will be lacking with the D800 in FX mode.

[quote I will be trying the 14-24 when Aquatica produce the housing and this will, hopefully, produce outstanding results for stills and video. I have mentioned to Jean about the importance of being able to connect an external recorder to capture the clean HDMI output.

Hi Andy,

don#t you think that a external microphone would be useful also???

is it possible for you to shoot some extreme macros to look for the optimum f-stop ( for max dof)before diffraktion starts to be a problem. I am coming from DX and shoot extreme macro with F-stop 28-36. would you think that would be possible with the D800?

Rob

I'll do some test shots to see how much the diffraction will degrade the image. I've been reading on the web about this and some people feel that it is not a big deal in practice. External microphone sounds like a good idea!!

Curious for those that switched from the D700 to the D800 - what's your experience been and what is the biggest difference in the image quality. Is focusing easier or harder with the D800? Do you get more blur with the D800?

I'm a newbie to UW photography and currently use the D700. Before I buy my housing, I want to be certain that I'm not going to switch to the D800. Thanks

Hi Alexis,

Welcome to Wetpixel,

There is a lot of great information about the D800 here. If you use the search function, it will bring up a bunch of hits!

For starters though, the official (and shortly to be completed) D800 review: http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/wetpixel-d800-camera-review/

The forum: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46334

All the best

Adam

Hi Adam - thanks for the info. I'd read both yesterday, along with a few other threads - fantastic information (I haven't seen anything like it anywhere else on the web).

I see a lot of D7000 vs D800 comparison but not much mention of how much better the D800 performs relative to the D700 underwater. I'm really looking for the FX vs FX comparison. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Alexis

Hello Alexis,

I've bought several D800's but don't have a housing yet. Shot with the D700 underwater on my most recent trip - Bali and South Australia. One of the reasons I may switch to the D800 for underwater use is to cut down on the gear I would have travel with if I continue to shoot underwater with the D700 and topside with the D800. The two cameras use different batteries, which means different battery chargers. And back-up's for those chargers and back-up camera bodies of each type. I also prefer shooting with only one kind of camera body so that when I reach for a particular control button on the camera it is always the same place.

You should also keep in mind that how much difference you would see between the D700 and D800 depends a lot on what you want to do with the pictures. The higher dynamic range of the D800 will be most apparent and advantageous when shooting subjects with high contrast, such as having the sun in the picture. The higher resolution is likely to be visible only if you make very large prints of the full frame or make fairly large prints from a small portion of the whole image area. The theoretical maximum resolution increase, 1.67x, will only be realized if you shoot with top quality lenses at their optimum apertures, which in many cases may not give you the depth-of-field you want or need for the picture.

If you already own a D700, but not a D800, you will probably be able to save a very large amount of money on your underwater kit by buying a used housing for your D700 vs having to buy a new housing and a D800.

Fred

• Like 1

Sponsors

Advertisements