Sign in to follow this  
rschrager

Beneath The Sea Photo Competition Winners

Congratulations everyone! We love the challenge of reaching your standards.

Here's the turtle shot I entered. I agree -- it's 3rd place material. :)

Congrats to Linda also. I guess we haven't converted her yet.

Whaddya mean, I have my D100! I just need to shoot some winners with it so I can submit to the digital category! :?

Congratulations, Herb and Eric!

Linda, I don't believe there's anything preventing you from scanning in your film images and submitting them in the digital category.

Rand

Linda, where in Oregon are you from? (My wife is from Eugene)

I'm from Forest Grove, in the west burbs of Portland. My mom lives in Eugene and I used to spend alot of time there... But up here is closer to diving!

Linda, I don't believe there's anything preventing you from scanning in your film images and submitting them in the digital category.

Rand

Hmmm, that's probably true for many of these... I guess I need to stop thinking in terms of boundaries!

Here's the turtle shot I entered.  I agree -- it's 3rd place material. :)

I think he's adorable. Where did you go to get these baby turtles?

seahorse3.jpg

This is my winning image. I know this will probably rub some people here at Wetpixel the wrong way but the shot was taken with a film camera and scanned.

My personal opinion is that an underwater image is an underwater image regardless of what media it was captured on and there probably shouldn't be seperate categories for digital and slides. It's just more convenient for me to scan and burn a CD for contest entry than get duplicate slides made or worry about sending original slides.

I agree -- the final image is what counts. The capture medium is not so important.

The Palau shoot-out this year was supposed to have film and digital competing against each other (Jim Watt's influence, I think). Is it still on in May, or has it been cancelled?

Some tricky camera setup will be necessary for live shoot-outs. Have to shoot simultaneous RAW + JPG and set the camera to output pleasing JPGs straight from the camera, while saving the precious RAW data...

Ralph,

I'd be fascinated to know where in the world you took the shot of the sea horse.

I took the photo last April at a dive site called Basura while on a dive trip to Club Ocellaris, Anilao, Philippines. Basura is the best macro photography site that I have ever done, by far. The group of divers that was there at the same time as me included some very well traveled and well know U/W photograpers and their opinion was that Basura at least equalled the best worldwide - Lembeh.

How competitive do those shootouts get? I have this image in my head of people almost coming to blows, fighting over the same subject.

Certainly be putting that place on the list for next year I think!

How big was it?

Certainly be putting that place on the list for next year I think!  

How big was it?

Larger than a pygmy but not by much. The image was taken with a 105 racked all the way out.

[

This is my winning image. I know this will probably rub some people here at Wetpixel the wrong way but the shot was taken with a film camera and scanned.  

My personal opinion is that an underwater image is an underwater image regardless of what media it was captured on and there probably shouldn't be seperate categories for digital and slides. It's just more convenient for me to scan and burn a CD for contest entry than get duplicate slides made or worry about sending original slides.

That is interesting. I too had obviously misunderstood the category to be shots with a digital camera. They should be more clear about that on there competition rules. Very well exposed shot.

Thought so, there is a similar yellow variety on a wall dive on Maratua atoll, at about 25-30mm in length. There are the white and brown varieties too, but slightly smaller.

Anymore shots from that trip you can post?

That is interesting. I too had obviously misunderstood the category to be shots with a digital camera. They should be more clear about that on there competition rules. Very well exposed shot.

When they introduced the category last year I wrote to them and asked. Their interpretation is that "digital" only refers to the type of media that the image is submitted on. Not the type of camera used.

Oh hey no hard feeling at all here I just assumed it was different. I learned something new today. Again congrats and well done. Also that last shot is a beauty too.

I believe that Digital shooters can enter film competitions too - it's not that hard to get a slide made from a digital file, lots of labs do it nowadays.

But should we encourage this cross-polination? Not sure.

Cheers

James

James,

Now that I understand their (and EPIC's?) definition of a digital entry, and as this information filters down to film shooters (Like Mandarinfish) I'll bet that category will become the most competitive of the group as the subject matter is open.

You are probably right Rand.

I think most of us went about thinking that the contests were adding these categories for, and because of, digital cameras. There never was a category for digital entries. With the advent of the digital camera market I wrongly assumed that the addition of digital categories was a reaction to that change in the marketplace.

I have got to start thinking out of the box more. (Damn I hate it when I am wrong) :oops: LOL

Your plonked if there's a sunball!

Gives everyone the chance to 'manipulate' on an equal footing too.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements