Kilili

Use of SubSee 10x magnifier & 105mm VR, experiences please.

I'm thinking of getting one of these for my Subal 105mm VR port for the Nikon 105mm VR, and am looking for experiences on how well this works. I'm assuming DOF must be about zero. Can you compare against other solutions? Also, how does it affect subject distance?

Thanks much,

Edited by Kilili

It is a fine combo. Optically I can't think of any better way to achieve such high magnification with a single item.

You have a very narrow camera to subject distance to work with - all of which is pretty close to the camera. But you are likely to use this setup with subjects that don't move too much - so this doesn't matter. If you can try with small strobes - which make light positioning easier. At such close camera to subject distances you don't need a lot of welly.

AFAIK, the +10 Subsee is their better seller - but whenever I have had both on workshops and they are available for people to borrow - the +5 is always the more popular, one people have tried them once. Unless you want ultimate magnification and intend to use the Subsee +10 at/or close to minimum focus on the lens - you will find the +5 is more suited to more subjects, more of the time.

Alex

It is a fine combo. Optically I can't think of any better way to achieve such high magnification with a single item.

You have a very narrow camera to subject distance to work with - all of which is pretty close to the camera. But you are likely to use this setup with subjects that don't move too much - so this doesn't matter. If you can try with small strobes - which make light positioning easier. At such close camera to subject distances you don't need a lot of welly.

AFAIK, the +10 Subsee is their better seller - but whenever I have had both on workshops and they are available for people to borrow - the +5 is always the more popular, one people have tried them once. Unless you want ultimate magnification and intend to use the Subsee +10 at/or close to minimum focus on the lens - you will find the +5 is more suited to more subjects, more of the time.

Alex

Wot Alex said, I got the +10 because I figured more was best, but in practise its often too much.

Otara

The Subsee +10 provides very fine optical quality, but some degradation is inevitable as you increase magnification.

The magnification playing field is not level either, with some diopters tested and quoted in air and others in water. The +10 is an in-water measurement and in practice, is pretty much the most powerful magnifier around.

Adam

This is before and after with the Subsee +10 and the 105VR on the D7000, Nauticam housing and macro port 87.

The impressive magnification and image quality speak for themselves I think, but I found you do need a lot of patience (and a buddy with patience) and benign water conditions.

6559382613_281653513d_z.jpg

Uncropped

6559383555_97edd02e87_z.jpg

Sponsors

Advertisements