Sign in to follow this  
ardy01

Unknown crab from Bali

I was on a mission at Tulamben to shoot some boxer crabs. I swam past a rock and this was on it. Grabbed a lousy shot as I swam by and of course now cant ID it. Looked through my crab books and online no go. Someone suggested it might be a hermit crab out of it shell but I have never seen a hermit crab like this.

Sorry about the out of focus shot.

regards

post-17005-1329965356.jpg

Nope, just a shaggy crab in the family Pilumnidae. Do an image search on Heteropilumnus ciliatus or Heteropilumnus hirsutior and see which one you think it is.

Nope, just a shaggy crab in the family Pilumnidae. Do an image search on Heteropilumnus ciliatus or Heteropilumnus hirsutior and see which one you think it is.

Wonderful Leslie - not exactly the same but enough to make a rough picture ID Heteropilumnus hirsutior. As I have seen nothing else like this and in the absence of any other suggestions I think this is it.

I wonder if they are common in Bali?

Maybe. As with most pilumnids they're pretty well camouflaged by the hairs & all the silt/debris attached to them so they'd be hard to see unless they're moving.

Maybe. As with most pilumnids they're pretty well camouflaged by the hairs & all the silt/debris attached to them so they'd be hard to see unless they're moving.
Yes Leslie I guess this one was out looking for a feed as it was 6.30am.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements