seansrs968

Ikelite housing and floods

This weekend I went diving with my Ikelite housing. The housing worked fine during the dives. I put the housing in my tote bag that I use to transport the camera in. I will also soak the camera in this big. I filled the bag with water and when I took it out the port came off and now the camera is ruined. Has anyone else had issues with the Ikelite housings? I am really disappointed in the how the housing is designed with the 4 push clip things it uses.

I have never had this happen to me but I have heard that others have problems relating to soaking or rinse tanks. I have made some assumptions that I hope are correct, that you are using the modular 8" dome and the super-wide 5510.11 port. If this isn't the case please let me know.

The most dangerous time for almost any housing is in the rinse tank or soaking. The reason is because there is very little pressure differential between the inside of the housing and the outside of the housing. With the lack of pressure differential the o-ring seals are at there worst state and nothing helping them to seal. The only housings that are not subject to this are housings with a vacuum leak prevention system.

I have a couple of questions for you and some answers to your problems.

1. Did the ports locks come loose and the dome came off?

2. Did the port rotate and thus come dialoged?

If you answered yes to the first question I would wonder how 4 port locks came loose at the same time. I used to worry about this when there were only 2 port locks but 4 locks seam a lot safer to me.

If you answered yes to the second question then you dome rotated. I believe that ikelite supplied a port lock to prevent that from happening. This is a somewhat known opportunity with the ikelite 5510.10 and 5510.11 port.

Some solutions I can offer so this doesn't happen again.

1. I can supply you with a port lock that will attach to the block on top of the housing and will prevent the 5510.10 or 5510.11 port from rotating.

2. I can supply you with a port that does not have cutouts however it will not work with the ikelite 8" dome only my 5" dome.

3. I can also supply you with a vacuum leak prevention system that will seal your housing to the point that even with all the port locks open it will take over 50 lbs of force to dislodge the dome. This system will work with any ikelite port combination.

Sorry for your flood but the best I can do is offer solutions to prevent this from happening again.

This weekend I went diving with my Ikelite housing. The housing worked fine during the dives. I put the housing in my tote bag that I use to transport the camera in. I will also soak the camera in this big. I filled the bag with water and when I took it out the port came off and now the camera is ruined. Has anyone else had issues with the Ikelite housings? I am really disappointed in the how the housing is designed with the 4 push clip things it uses.

I have used Ikelite housings for 15 years. I have had 3 total floods in that time....all operator error. I use the 8 inch dome with four locks and do about a hundred dives per year plus a lot of surface/ freedive photography. If maintained correctly, assembled correctly and care taken, you should not have a problem.

Has anyone else had issues with the Ikelite housings? I am really disappointed in the how the housing is designed with the 4 push clip things it uses.

Back when I had my Ikelite it flooded through the port connection. My flood happened when a worker on the boat picked up the housing by the port, apparently unseating the o-ring, and handed it to me in the water. As I started descending I watched the housing fill with water.

This was about three years ago, and my housing only had two port locks (they've since started making them with four.) Since then I've also upgraded my housing to an Aquatica with a much more secure port attachment and haven't looked back.

-Gina

I dove Ikelite for 3 years and never had a problem. I did however always worry about someone grabbing my housing by the front port which would definitely cause a flood. I had an Olympus housing flooded about 8 years ago in the rinse tank -- it had a press-fit front port and somebody knocked it off.

I have done giant strides with my Aquatica and it feels much more solid when it comes to the front port, but it's my hard and fast rule to never allow my housing to sit in water for more than just a quick dunk then I pull it out. When I snorkeled with the Whale Sharks I had a collapsible round bag with fresh water for dunking since they did not have a dunk tank on the boat, but I would dunk my housing, take it out and dry it with a towel immediately. I just don't trust having my housing sit in a water bucket of any kind.

Really sorry to hear of your flood.

JP

Operator error in my one fl**d (I don't like to use the f-word). I failed to listen for the "snap" that tells me each port latch is fully engaged. The housing made one dive OK, but on the second dive, it completely fl**ded. Camera, lens, and housing electronics were all fried.

BTW, I was able to save the vacation. Ikelite said to open the electronics, rinse with fresh water, and blow dry; then cut the wires except black/white. This gave me manual control of the strobes. With a backup camera body and other lenses, I was able to get back in the water and take pictures. When I got home, I sent the housing back to Ike for repair.

I've used Ike housings for many, many years without any problems. Great products and fantastic support.

Edited by jlyle

I've used 4 different ikelite housings over nearly 20 years. Never had a fl**d, knock on plastic.

You really, really have to pay attention during assembly, (as with any housing), and make sure every latch is latched until is clicks.

Then inspect the orings, to make sure they are not sticking out anywhere.

Being able to inspect the o-rings AFTER assembly has saved me many times, and would have been fatal, on any of the infinitely more expensive housing systems.

As others have noted, the support is incredible.

Sorry to hear your flood. Good luck.

I used an Ikelite housing for three years and never had an issue. However, a friend of mine once took his cold housing (with camera inside) and placed it in a bath tub of warm water to rinse - the expanding air inside the housing popped off the dome as it warmed up! Ever since I rinse with the same temperature of water that the rig was just in.

Sorry about your gear.

I've used Ikelite housings for over 8 years and never had a flood. I have had a few very minor leaks (water in the housing but nothing on the camera and lens) which was because I hadn't had the housing serviced.

I sit my housing in a collapsible cooler full of freshwater for 20-30 after every dive, however, I always check the port locks and clips before it goes in.

Just to expand on what others have indirectly said, it is essential to check that the port locks really are locked. It's not enough to just close the locks. You need to press down on each lock until you hear a distinct click,

I have been using Ikelite housings for 12 years now (three different housings), and the only issue I have ever had was a very small amount of water getting in because I had some sand on the O-ring. Because the housing is clear, I noticed some fogging in 2 feet of water, and immediately came to the surface. In another (not clear) housing, this probably would have been a catastrophic flood.

On just about every trip I have been on, it seems like somebody has a flood, and I am the only person I know who dives with Ikelite. A fact of life is that housings flood. That is why I have an all-risks floater on my home owner's insurance for my underwater camera gear.

--Mark

Never trust rinse tanks! I am always amazed when I go to dunk my housing and find 4 or 5 cameras all piled up in the barrel. As mentioned before, carefully dunk your own camera, work the controls, and remove it. Most housing are at the greatest risk in 5-10' of water and you need to take extra care on entry or exit.

I have never had this happen to me but I have heard that others have problems relating to soaking or rinse tanks. I have made some assumptions that I hope are correct, that you are using the modular 8" dome and the super-wide 5510.11 port. If this isn't the case please let me know.

The most dangerous time for almost any housing is in the rinse tank or soaking. The reason is because there is very little pressure differential between the inside of the housing and the outside of the housing. With the lack of pressure differential the o-ring seals are at there worst state and nothing helping them to seal. The only housings that are not subject to this are housings with a vacuum leak prevention system.

I have a couple of questions for you and some answers to your problems.

1. Did the ports locks come loose and the dome came off?

2. Did the port rotate and thus come dialoged?

If you answered yes to the first question I would wonder how 4 port locks came loose at the same time. I used to worry about this when there were only 2 port locks but 4 locks seam a lot safer to me.

If you answered yes to the second question then you dome rotated. I believe that ikelite supplied a port lock to prevent that from happening. This is a somewhat known opportunity with the ikelite 5510.10 and 5510.11 port.

Some solutions I can offer so this doesn't happen again.

1. I can supply you with a port lock that will attach to the block on top of the housing and will prevent the 5510.10 or 5510.11 port from rotating.

2. I can supply you with a port that does not have cutouts however it will not work with the ikelite 8" dome only my 5" dome.

3. I can also supply you with a vacuum leak prevention system that will seal your housing to the point that even with all the port locks open it will take over 50 lbs of force to dislodge the dome. This system will work with any ikelite port combination.

Sorry for your flood but the best I can do is offer solutions to prevent this from happening again.

Bill,

you caught my attention! I just purchased the Canon 8-15mm fisheye, and according to Ikelites website, If I want to use the lens at 8mm, then I have to remove the dome shade. I also, will no longer be able to use the lock if I do that. Do you have a solution for that?

Also, how do you do the vacuum leak with an Ike housing? I checked your website and it doesn't say anything about it.

thanks,

Dustin

My wife has been using Ike housing for 8 years...first a 10d and now a 5d mark ii. I also have one for a mark ii.

She flooded her housing, by not putting the oring on the dome port, after switching from her macro port. Luckily we had insurance, which we didn't always have. Much cheaper through home owner insurance than through DAN. This was operator error, Obviously. What we learned from this was:

1. Don't forget your orings

2. Always test in a rinse tank before you go on the boat

3. Always have insurance, even going to the pool

4. Don't put your housing together right after a massage.......this is what she did before she forgot the oring.

Having said all of that. I do like the back oring on Ike housings, as you can see it when you close up the housing. I don't like the dome port setup however.....That scares the hell out of me.

My only other Ike problems are stuck buttons......

When you consider how many things can happen to an expensive camera setup on a diving trip (TSA security handling, small-plane compulsory baggage handling, boat handling, self mishandling, etc.), the marginal cost of an all-risks floater* is a no-brainer. My insurance company charges me 1% of the cost of the item per year.

* I get a kick out of the fact that they call it a "floater", but you collect when the camera doesn't float :swimmingfish:

--Mark

Bill,

you caught my attention! I just purchased the Canon 8-15mm fisheye, and according to Ikelites website, If I want to use the lens at 8mm, then I have to remove the dome shade. I also, will no longer be able to use the lock if I do that. Do you have a solution for that?

Also, how do you do the vacuum leak with an Ike housing? I checked your website and it doesn't say anything about it.

thanks,

Dustin

Hi Dustin

If you have 4 port locks on your housing you can use our Modular Port Lock with the shade removed.

In regards to the vacuum leak prevention system "Housing Sentry", our site contains a lot of information about the product. It was initially developed on a ikelite housing so we have a lot of pictures and information there along with other housing installs.

I am sorry that you didn't find the links but they are at the end of the pages.

Housing Sentry How it Works page

Sponsors

Advertisements