Sign in to follow this  
sevans0579

iMac Ram

Hi all

I have just purchased the iMac 27inch 3,1 i5 and wanted to increase the ram myself because apple's fees are crazy. Therefore would I benefit a great deal more with 16gb or would 12gb be suffice for photo editing (Lightroom) and video editing (final cut pro) basically trying to way the costs against the benefits?

Also whilst on the subject of editing, does final cut pro recognise sony's AVCHD format?

Thanks for your time

Hey Sean,

The more RAM the better!

If you can afford 16gb, get it.

FCP struggles with AVCHD, many people use a conversion utility called Clipwrap. This does a great job of sorting AVCHD files into a format that FCP X is happy working with. Steve Douglas did a review of the app here on Wetpixel, and if you search for Clipwrap, there has been loads of discussion about it on the forums too.

Adam

Hey Sean,

The more RAM the better!

If you can afford 16gb, get it.

FCP struggles with AVCHD, many people use a conversion utility called Clipwrap. This does a great job of sorting AVCHD files into a format that FCP X is happy working with. Steve Douglas did a review of the app here on Wetpixel, and if you search for Clipwrap, there has been loads of discussion about it on the forums too.

Adam

Spot on cheers Adam!

Apple makes excellent ram but, yes, it is costly. Otherworld computing has a good reputation as well. I also recommend ram from Crucial as I have been using their ram for many years without a single issue. Another company I would recommend is Ramjet.

Steve

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements