Sign in to follow this  
steve swift

S40, DC300 - Using the four-way controller

Hi

I have just added a YS90auto to my set-up without much success. I used the auto aperture or auto shutter speed, but the first gave me backscatter and the second not enough light. Looking through the forums i came across a link to a thread that showed how to be able to use the 4-way controller when in the housing, but unfortunately the link only lead back to the forums home page.

I didn't think it was possible to use the 4-way controller underwater, but if it is can anyone explain how.

Thanks

Steve

With the S30/40 you can use only the speed. To change the aperture, you have to move to Av, select the F number and return to M.

With the S45/50 you can change the aperture by click on the [0] button (the one at the button / left. see link from canon.co.jp

Arnon

Steve,

Not sure if I'm answering your actual question or not...

With the S series cameras, S30 and above, you can use the up/down four-way controller in the menus by holding down the MF button and using the right/left buttons.

I use my S30 this way underwater to adjust ISO.

jgamurray

With the S series cameras, S30 and above, you can use the up/down four-way controller in the menus by holding down the MF button and using the right/left buttons.  

With the s30/40 you can use it only in the menu, not to change the aperture.

Because it’s so uncomfortable to use the controller in M mode I usually use the aperture priority or the speed priority according to the situation and what I want to shoot.

Experience!

Give you self an quarter hour time during a dive to test around and you will get a pretty good feeling. Thats what instant feedback is for.

I don't think there is a real teachable rule of thumbs on strobe settings.

Maybe something like: more macro lower setting; more WA higher setting

Simon

What I done was: first took some shots on land for few situations: macro (10cm), 1/2 m and 1m and wrote the values of the F number and the strobe adjustments.

Then I subtracted -2 stops as startup values and wrote in on the slide. And then I went to the water with the startup values and began to shoot and make corrections until I found the best values for every situation and wrote it on the slide.

So now I have a startups values but it’s only for start because every time it’s a different situation. You have to test it every time until you began to 'fill' the right settings.

Another thing, use the histogram in the camera, its gives great information.

Arnon

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements