SOX404

Aquatica close-up lens

Hi,

I've taken delivery of a few units. I haven't dove them yet as my schedule (and leaky drysuit zipper) prevents me from doing so. My initial impressions are:

1) Mounting on the Aquatica macro port is very secure and the 3 locking screws provide a secure fit and they don't scratch the port

2) The quick mounting system is locks the diopter tightly to the mount. Not quite as solid as say a bayonet but still locks in there. The 67mm threads also allow for ports with M67 mounts.

3) Same magnification as the Subsee

Just for laughs, I tried to see how close I could get with the +10. Click here and scroll down. There is some motion smearing and shallow DOF, but IQ is very good compared to bare EF100f2.8 Macro, and working distance from the end of the diopter was about 1.5-2" to get that much magnification.

Stewart

and if someone compare it with the subsee ?

Id love to see some test comparisons underwater, any one have examples we can view (like the Subsee site example shots).

Jean??

Click on the link by the OP. Mauricio Handler took the 1st unit down for a dive and has sample images.

S.

geez that was quick Stewart! Are you referring to the blenny photo?

Unless Ive missed something out of the AQ site Id like to see a few more examples of different supermacro critter closeups?

There are sample blenny images shot by Mauricio Handler in the Aquatica website. The close up kit is only just arriving in dealer's shelves so images taken with them should be coming.

S.

Id love to see some test comparisons underwater, any one have examples we can view (like the Subsee site example shots).

Jean??

Gee13, I did some side by side test, but cannot report on this, as the moderator would yank it out ASAP. I will let other non affiliated photographer pick up from here and report in due time as I think that reviewing specific products and at the same time, been affiliated to them or to the company importing or manufacturing them is not really the proper way to do it.

Cheers.

Gee13, I did some side by side test, but cannot report on this, as the moderator would yank it out ASAP. I will let other non affiliated photographer pick up from here and report in due time as I think that reviewing specific products and at the same time, been affiliated to them or to the company importing or manufacturing them is not really the proper way to do it.

Cheers.

Jean. Would it be possible to be able to at least post some photos taken with your new setup?

Edited by KirkD

What I have is basically rulers and textures aluminum, not really exciting at all, there is a shot of a Sailfin Blenny taken by Mauricio with the +5

post-1676-1331667798.jpg

I dug out some of the boring stuff from the hard drive, be forewarned, these are not high on the emotional stimulating factor. :drink:

first the +5

post-1676-1331668468.jpg

post-1676-1331668489.jpg

and the +10

post-1676-1331668528.jpg

The ruler was positioned at an angle in order to have an idea of the depth of field, and aperture was f/40 for the +5 and f/45 for the +10, the grid was shot at f/18 with the +5. I will limit my comments to this.

Since you are on here Jean, I would like to have a way to thread the diopters in and would like to be able to attach both the 5 and 10 diopters and flip them up when they are not in use. Saga Dive make one, but not for an Aquatica port .... yet. Ryan over at Reef Photo has them. Here are some pics:

sag.dlha.frm.67-250_2.jpgsag.dlha.frm.67-250_3.jpgsag.dlha.frm.67-250_4.jpgsag.dlha.frm.67-250_5.jpg

So Jean, this is on my wish list. I just prefer not to pop the lenses in and out. I know that I will eventually loose one.

Thanks for posting some pics.

Edited by KirkD

Or perhaps, the close-up lens can be mounted somewhere, say to a lens holder (like INON lens holder).

Edited by SOX404

Or perhaps, the close-up lens can be mounted somewhere, say to a lens holder (like INON lens holder).

You can by that as wel. WhenI spoke with Jean at ourorld underwater, he said that they were working on mking a lens holder.

KirkD send a mail in spanish to jose of sagadive he can product what you want :drink:

There is already a part no. for the optional lens holder. 19354, It's designed to mount on either the strobe arm or the housing handle.

S.

I have the lens holder on my desk and planning on taking some studio shot of it tomorrow,

I will post one the moment its done, it can be mounted on the grip or on a strobe arm.

One of the comment that came back frequently at the design stage was that a somewhat weighty front mounted swivel attachment, with two close up lenses on the tip of an already negatively buoyant macro port would/will make the rig quite nose heavy and uncomfortable to shoot with.

I wonder if the the new Dyron Aquatica adapter with a step down ring and the Saga Dive Dual Flip Lens Holder 67mm would work?

Looks good Jean. If the stock is available, I'm buying it now. Too bad, no Aquatica distributors here in Jakarta.

Looks good Jean. If the stock is available, I'm buying it now. Too bad, no Aquatica distributors here in Jakarta.

Proper etiquette mandates that manufacturers, distributors and dealers are not at liberty to discuss their inventory status on this forum. Sorry mate... but you can always PM us if you want to have more info concerning theses close up lenses

The images look good on the 50mm lens. Hopefilly, Tim will do a follow up when his 100mm lens arrives.

Kirk

The images look good on the 50mm lens. Hopefilly, Tim will do a follow up when his 100mm lens arrives.

Kirk

Hi Kirk,

Yes, I will follow up. There are a couple of great nudibranch spots here I've been wanting to try. But the nudis are normally small. This kit should help a lot. Very exciting.

TR

Hi Kirk,

Yes, I will follow up. There are a couple of great nudibranch spots here I've been wanting to try. But the nudis are normally small. This kit should help a lot. Very exciting.

TR

OK, as I said, I will follow with a look at using this kit with a 100mm lens. The stars aligned and I went down to my friendly, neighborhood ocean and here's what I found:

http://www.guammicronesiadivetravel.com/travelblog1/?p=1560

Oddly, I didn't find any really tiny nudis, but my dive buddy found one and the CU Kit came in really handy for him. He came to show it to me but by the time we got back, it had moved away.

//////////////

Also, I tried out the Tokina 100mm. Simply put, I like everything about it except the fact that it doesn't have internal focusing. Have a look:

http://www.guammicronesiadivetravel.com/travelblog1/?p=1539

Finally, here's a gallery of images shot with the 100 and 100 plus the +10 with the Aquatica Close-up kit. All of this info should give you an idea of how nicely this system works:

http://timrock.photoshelter.com/gallery/Gu...000D9UJp7LINA8/

Let me know what you think. I find this whole kit really functional and easy to use.

Best,

Timbo

Edited by Tim of the Deep

Sponsors

Advertisements