Sign in to follow this  
voets

Starting from scratch D7000 or D800 ?

For years I have been a happy Sony shooter. My technical dives are taking me deeper than my Ikelite housing will allow, so now I'm starting all over again with a kit that will go as deep as 150 meters. Since hardly any aluminium housing is offered for sony I will switch brands to either Canon or Nikon for underwater work

My camera list has shortened to the Nikon D7000 or the Nikon D800 and for the housing I think it will be hugyfot.

Which one would you choose?

Pro D7000

* cheaper body

* slightly cheaper lenses

* less weight and smaller

* instant availability

Pro D800

* full frame

* 36mpx

* more AF points

* less shutterlag

Any good arguments pro or contra either model?

For years I have been a happy Sony shooter. My technical dives are taking me deeper than my Ikelite housing will allow, so now I'm starting all over again with a kit that will go as deep as 150 meters. Since hardly any aluminium housing is offered for sony I will switch brands to either Canon or Nikon for underwater work

My camera list has shortened to the Nikon D7000 or the Nikon D800 and for the housing I think it will be hugyfot.

Which one would you choose?

Pro D7000

* cheaper body

* slightly cheaper lenses

* less weight and smaller

* instant availability

Pro D800

* full frame

* 36mpx

* more AF points

* less shutterlag

Any good arguments pro or contra either model?

I think 36 mega pixels is a con. Unless you are printing billboards, you just don't need that many magapixels. I would also assume that the housing for the D800 will be more expensive as well.

For low ambient conditions and high ISO settings, which is probably going to be the case for your deep technical diving, the D800 will be a better choice. I'm a Canon shooter though and presently use 7Ds (D7000 equivalent) and it's for these reasons that I plan to add an FX 5D III to the line-up.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements