Sign in to follow this  
Drew

D800 tops rankings at DXOmark

The Nikon D800 leads the lazy measurebator's list as the top performing DSLR, beating out the D4. I won't even start on DXO's 8 mp print resolution limitations! :)

http://bit.ly/GWihmI

I would thing the "screen" option to be more fair than "print" since it compares pixel to pixel without downsizing to an 8 mpx image.

In this case the D4 shows better behaviour than D800 in SNR 18%, Tonal Range and Color Sensitivity at all ISOs, and better DR at all ISOs but 100.

Then we have to argue about the quality of the monitors and if they are calibrated accurately :)

Then we have to argue about the quality of the monitors and if they are calibrated accurately :)

I won´t argue, you can keep the D4 and I get the D800! :)

I guess they guys at DXO can find a good calibrated monitor (although I don´t know if there is a monitor able to reproduce Adobe 1998 ¿16? bits...).

In the "screen" mode, the 5Dmk3 regains part of the lost ground too...

Well I'm going to test the 5D3 and D800 with the 24-70 and settle nothing once and for all! :)

Oh, measurebation. This kind of thing makes me crazy. Why does one have to be "better?" If you need high fps and less resolution, buy the D4. If you need high resolution and less speed, buy the D800. Neither of these two cameras is good for everything; they are targeted at specific needs.

Not like anyone here actually needs me to tell them this, but I had to say it on the off-chance it could prevent someone going blind :)

Oh, measurebation. This kind of thing makes me crazy. Why does one have to be "better?" If you need high fps and less resolution, buy the D4. If you need high resolution and less speed, buy the D800. Neither of these two cameras is good for everything; they are targeted at specific needs.

Not like anyone here actually needs me to tell them this, but I had to say it on the off-chance it could prevent someone going blind :)

True, logic and correct statements are forbidden in a measurebator topic! :):)

I have to say that the DR on the D800 seems amazing.

The problem with his comparison is he's uprezzing the 5D3 pics, which make it very dependent on the engine used etc. A silly way to do things. The cameras aren't equal in res, to try equalize the playing field would be handicapping one or the other. Per pixel evaluation is best.

Then it's about what attributes are more important to the shooter. D800 has great resolution and DR, but speed is slower. My preliminary impression is that the 5D3 responds faster to AF etc, plus 6fps makes a difference if you are shooting subjects that require fps. So while I'd love to get great DR on backlit shots, I also wanna make sure I get the shot! So maybe the D4 is for me... except the 1Dx hasn't been tested yet! :)

And to add more to the numbers game, someone sent me this:

http://tinyurl.com/6mv3xee

So do you trust the evaluation of DXO Mark or it's software, which sorta contradicts their criteria subjected scores? :)

The problem with his comparison is he's uprezzing the 5D3 pics, which make it very dependent on the engine used etc. A silly way to do things. The cameras aren't equal in res, to try equalize the playing field would be handicapping one or the other. Per pixel evaluation is best.

Then it's about what attributes are more important to the shooter. D800 has great resolution and DR, but speed is slower. My preliminary impression is that the 5D3 responds faster to AF etc, plus 6fps makes a difference if you are shooting subjects that require fps. So while I'd love to get great DR on backlit shots, I also wanna make sure I get the shot! So maybe the D4 is for me... except the 1Dx hasn't been tested yet! :)

And to add more to the numbers game, someone sent me this:

http://tinyurl.com/6mv3xee

So do you trust the evaluation of DXO Mark or it's software, which sorta contradicts their criteria subjected scores? :)

I can't see how changing the res would have made the DR comparison any different.

Bottom line; these are all such awesome cameras. Seems like less reason than ever for anyone to switch brands either way.

I think what's clear though, is that whichever way you test them the D800 is a pretty impressive sensor, particularly under 1000 ISO. For those of us who always wanted a medium format camera, but could not justify or afford it, the D800 is as close as it gets so far. I think what has surprised everyone, myself included, is how well it still does at 3200-6400 ISO. When the camera was first released, I was reticent to give up the D700 low ISO performance and was planning to keep both cameras; now I will get another D800 for my second body, as there is no low light penalty compared to the D700. Just waiting now for the D900 :)

Edited by loftus

A comparison of video seems to show that at least with video, there is a more than a stop difference between the Nikon and Canon, with 'The D800 is a camera that should be left at 640-1000 (which is comparable to 1250 and 2000 on Canon) ' in this review here.

Not sure what to make of it.

http://nofilmschool.com/2012/04/markii-vs-...00-candlelight/

He uses HDMI captured clips vs in camera? How accurate is that going to be since HDMI is less processed than in camera? Interesting, I'll have to check that out if I ever want to know the difference.

As for how DR is affected in the results:

http://tinyurl.com/74nun3x

Which shows that DX0's scoring "Sport/Lowlight" to require 3 criteria:SNR ≥ 30 dB,CS ≥ 18 bits, DR ≥ 9 EV. With the screen tests, all the scores are similar except CS at the given ISO, which is why the D800 wins.

One thing that's not noticed is that for the marked ISO on camera, the measured ISO is lower for Nikon than Canon. For eg, 200ISO for Canon is 160 but 151 for the D800. So basically Nikon is back peddling the ISO to get better noise control. There's no denying Canon sucks with noisy reds and DR, but the ISO -ev step is the reason why Nikon scores well.

Yikes, I'm going blind! :)

He uses HDMI captured clips vs in camera? How accurate is that going to be since HDMI is less processed than in camera? Interesting, I'll have to check that out if I ever want to know the difference.

As for how DR is affected in the results:

http://tinyurl.com/74nun3x

Which shows that DX0's scoring "Sport/Lowlight" to require 3 criteria:SNR ≥ 30 dB,CS ≥ 18 bits, DR ≥ 9 EV. With the screen tests, all the scores are similar except CS at the given ISO, which is why the D800 wins.

One thing that's not noticed is that for the marked ISO on camera, the measured ISO is lower for Nikon than Canon. For eg, 200ISO for Canon is 160 but 151 for the D800. So basically Nikon is back peddling the ISO to get better noise control. There's no denying Canon sucks with noisy reds and DR, but the ISO -ev step is the reason why Nikon scores well.

Yikes, I'm going blind! :)

With regard to DR, I was referring to Fred Miranda's image where the shadow detail and quality was impressively better than the 5D; can't see how the way it was sampled would in any way have improved the 5D shadow detail.

On the ISO thing - I'm understanding the opposite - at least in that video test. Nikon started to show an image at a much lower ISO than Canon. Extrapolating then, 3200 ISO Nikon noise should be compared to 6400 Canon etc.

I think video processing on the HDMI might throw a wrench into that rating. Visibly, the noise on the D800 IN VIDEO MODE is pretty shocking from ISO1000 onwards. The pixellation on the gradations from light to black is pretty ugggerrrly. The 422 resolution is sexy sharp but the noise (however film like) is very distracting.. It could be the HDMI capture was bad or something. I'm going to test it when I get the D800 later this month.

It could be by bypassing the processor, the uncompressed signal is going to be noisier.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements