Sign in to follow this  
sideways

Need help building a system :)

I've been using my plastic one full-time for the last two years and it's manged to stay very stiff!! No floppy problems to report. It was the thickest one I could find when I bought it.. it still squeaks like crazy when I adjust it and is working great.

At rest with the legs folded up

lmi1.jpg

lmi2.jpg

Standing on it's own three...

lmi3.jpg

Kaj

I'd like to hear some feedback on the macromate. Funny thing is, I was looking at that for my DSLR/Aquatica setup and the backscatter folks pretty much talked me out of it saying it wouldn't be that effective. Maybe it will in the vid application?

Yeah, when I bought my housing from Backscatter, they suggested that I not get a MacroMate at the same time saying that the DOF would be too tight and hard to focus.

Anyone have any experience with it? As far as memory cards I got 2 64gb SDXC cards. I also bought the float for the housing to trim it out. Out of curiosity how long do your housing display batteries last?

I bought a couple of sets of high power rechargeable batteries (2600 mAh, as I recall), and get two approximately one hour dives out of them. They would probably last a bit longer, but that was a convenient time to swap. I did try some high power lithium AA's and they lasted longer (maybe three or four dives, as I recall).

My Gorilla grip looks the same as yours Kaj. No erection problems for me either... :)

Cheers Pete.

Yeah, when I bought my housing from Backscatter, they suggested that I not get a MacroMate at the same time saying that the DOF would be too tight and hard to focus.

I bought a couple of sets of high power rechargeable batteries (2600 mAh, as I recall), and get two approximately one hour dives out of them. They would probably last a bit longer, but that was a convenient time to swap. I did try some high power lithium AA's and they lasted longer (maybe three or four dives, as I recall).

Interesting about the macromate. Thanks for the battery info!! Are the lithiums rechargeable??

G'day Greg,

Congrats mate on your purchase. I think you will be happy with it. The float makes a huge difference & you may even need a stix float around the lens itself. This is how mine is setup http://wetpixel.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t43699.html

I use a gorilla grip tripod which cost about $50 from memory. I think mine is the 3kg version as my housing is almost neutral bouyant underwater. I find it works great.

Can't wait to see your footage.

Cheers Pete.

Hiya Pete,

Yeah, still trying to decide on the tripod.... the gorilla pod sounds easy, but the ULCS clamp with the tripod head is a pretty sweet set up too.

The best batteries for the back plate, hands down, are the Eneloop XX 2500.... they beat, for me, any other AA rechargeable, whether that rechargeable has a higher capacity or not. I have got over 4 hours use out of them.

Kaj & Pete, Are your Gorillapods plastic or metal? My plastic ones were really a dead loss after a few dives. And they never emitted the slightest squeak (unlike Locline).

Kaj & Pete, Are your Gorillapods plastic or metal? My plastic ones were really a dead loss after a few dives. And they never emitted the slightest squeak (unlike Locline).

Mine are plastic. They are very stiff and haven't loosened up at all.

Mine too, plastic & hard all the way.....

I do rinse mine in warm fresh water with some baby shampoo after diving, along with all my video gear actually.

Mine has probably been on 20 dives so far but still as tight as day one.

Hope it stays that way.

Cheers Pete.

Interesting about the macromate. Thanks for the battery info!! Are the lithiums rechargeable??

Sorry, yes, those are rechargeables. I forget the brand, but can look it up when I get home if it matters. I just did a google search for high power rechargeable AA batteries and bought the ones with the best specs.

Mine are plastic. They are very stiff and haven't loosened up at all.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna try the Eneloop XX 2500 that LG recommends. Here's my stoopid question for the day, can these be recharged in a normal AA charger??

They sure can, any old aa charger should work fine.

Cheers pete

They sure can, any old aa charger should work fine.

Cheers pete

Pete... you're my hero Amigo .... :P

I have 4 sets of sanyo eneloops & so far they have charged in every charger i stick them in.

So where's your videos greg? I wanna see some stuff!

Cheers Pete.

I have 4 sets of sanyo eneloops & so far they have charged in every charger i stick them in.

So where's your videos greg? I wanna see some stuff!

Cheers Pete.

:P Patience... We're heading to Cozumel in 20 days !!! It's the warm up trip for Wakatobi in October :rose:

Yeah, I think I'm gonna try the Eneloop XX 2500 that LG recommends. Here's my stoopid question for the day, can these be recharged in a normal AA charger??

They will charge, but..... The thing that kills rechargeable batteries is rapid chargers and the heat they generate when charging. I use a La Crosse charger (link) and you can set the recharge rate. It can charge at 200mA (very slow but the best for the batteries - takes about 13 hours), 500mA (what I use, takes about 5 hours to recharge) or 700mA (quick but batteries get very hot). It can also charge individual batteries depending on how much charge they need. This is a much better solution to a quick charger and worth every penny.

http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=422

This is the one i use, they don't get very hot at all when charging. I do notice a temperature difference if i put them in some other chargers. The batteries can be so hot that i can't hold them.

Cheers Pete.

OK... ordered the batteries, charger, and went for the 3kg gorillapod w/ballhead. :P My vid camera is tripping out a bit though. I was experimenting with different zoom shots (macroish) and everything was fine. Went back a couple mins later and the autofocus would not focus as close as it had been??? I didn't change any settings, so I'm a bit at a loss. Thoughts???

Edited by sideways

Maybe there wasn't enough contrast for the camera to focus properly. Mine does the same thing sometimes.

What you can do is if you are zooming into a macro shot is zoom in with autofocus on until the camera can't focus anymore, then switch it to manual focus & wind it in until you have focus.

You will have a short depth of field though.

Try that greg.

Cheers Pete.

Maybe there wasn't enough contrast for the camera to focus properly. Mine does the same thing sometimes.

What you can do is if you are zooming into a macro shot is zoom in with autofocus on until the camera can't focus anymore, then switch it to manual focus & wind it in until you have focus.

You will have a short depth of field though.

Try that greg.

Cheers Pete.

I'll mess with it in the morning Pete. I have to figure out the manual focus thing, I've messed with it a bit but the "Light bulb" over my head hasn't flickered on yet.

Cheers!

Greg

Finally made it out with the new cam, putting it through the paces in Cozumel. OK...first day impressions. Even though I constantly MWB'd in the 40-60' range, everything was greenish That was without CC filter. The few times I flipped the filter down It looked better. Tomorrow it will be all filter, also I'll try experimenting with diff. MWB techniques, i.e... distance to white target. Another slight screw up was in my storage settings, everything was saved to the cams HD and not the men card I've fixed that so tomorrow I'll be able to upload some samplers for critique Off to Wet Wendy's for a more thorough dive debriefing

Greg

Good stuff Greg,

You should see a huge improvement in the colours if you white balance with the red filter in place. Turn off your lights though if you are using the red filter.

Looking forward to seeing some footage.

Good luck mate.

Cheers Pete.

Good stuff Greg,

You should see a huge improvement in the colours if you white balance with the red filter in place. Turn off your lights though if you are using the red filter.

Looking forward to seeing some footage.

Good luck mate.

Cheers Pete.

Thanks for the heads up on MWB w/filter. I was going to try it both ways, but you saved me the time...LOL. I'll upload something this afternoon.

Well, quality of what was recorded too memory was much improved today. However....I have a bit of a head scratcher. After yesterday I set all vid to be recorded on my "A" memory card. So... I get back to the hotel, and there is absolutely nothing from the first dive, yet every clip is there from the 2nd dive. It's a 64gb card 5+ hour capacity. Anyone have any notions??? I didn't change any "save" options while out on the boat, so I'm seriously perplexed as to why nothing was saved to the card from the first dive.

Greg

**Edit - Trying to upload a clip, so far I'm really not digging my new MAC, If I had my windows Laptop, stuff would be edited and uploaded...grrrrrrrr. Whoever said Mac's were easy really needs to rethink that.....LOL

Edited by sideways

You just have to learn how to use your new Mac. At this point, it is not the computer, it is you. The same would occur if someone gave me a PC to use. I am PC illiterate and would be having problems as well. You will learn, you just need someone who can show you how as there are significant differences between the operation of either PC or Mac

Steve

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements