echeng

Broken-back shrimp in Lembata, Indonesia

Hello, everyone. I think I may have asked to have this ID'ed in the past, but I don't remember. Can't find it in my books. Help? :)

echeng111104_080138.jpg

Phycocaris simulans I think. We've had a couple of threads about it. It looks like there's something draped on the body - can you tell what it is in high-res?

Phycocaris simulans I think. We've had a couple of threads about it. It looks like there's something draped on the body - can you tell what it is in high-res?

I also photographed it a couple of weeks ago and it also had the look of something draped around, so I guess it is part of the shrimp...

A non-hairy version of Phycocaris simulans? Here it is, in high(er) res:

echeng111104_080138.jpg

Oh wow! That circle of fine hairs around the eye is fabulous! Never noticed it before.

Art's opinion on similar shots was maybe Phycocaris simulans, maybe a new species of Phycocaris. I'll send this off to him, see if he known something more at this point.

Davichin - same animal or a different one? They must be pretty territorial if it's the same one.

Just heard from Art. He says that he's seen both hairy & non-hairy shrimp like this identified as Phycocaris simulans. Whether both forms really belong to the same species can't be resolved without examining specimens so someday he hopes to get some.

Oh wow! That circle of fine hairs around the eye is fabulous! Never noticed it before.

Art's opinion on similar shots was maybe Phycocaris simulans, maybe a new species of Phycocaris. I'll send this off to him, see if he known something more at this point.

Davichin - same animal or a different one? They must be pretty territorial if it's the same one.

Different one (mine was taken at Lembeh...), never met Eric. Attached is a pic of mine.

post-4794-1335392299.jpg

:) Looks like a fluffy pile of detritus after passing through someone's digestive tract! :)

Sponsors

Advertisements