Sign in to follow this  
Nigel Motyer

Salt Lake, Connemara, Ireland

Here's a couple from a recent dip into a salt lake near Clifden in Connemara Co Galway. Its fed twice a day by the tide and is home to some really great macro life. At this time of year its full of nudibranchs.

post-17859-1335556097.jpg

post-17859-1335556984.jpg

Edited by Nigel Motyer

Wonderful shots Nigel, Its been ages since i dived the salt lake. Your images make me wanna go visit again

From memory i believe it can get quite deep in parts (around 30-40M) but most of the life is located along one wall near where the lake meets the open sea all of which is less than 10M. Last time i dived there was about 8 years ago so memory is a bit foggy. Nigel might be able to fill you in with more details

Here is the location if your interested

Clifden salt lake

Scubaspud25 is spot on. The lake is really like a giant rock pool fed twice a day by the tide. Quite a current at the falls but as you move away from there its quite calm and still. I usually don't dive any deeper than 7 or 8 meters when I go there. Great spot to kill a few hours with a macro lens.

Is this the one with Serpulid reefs in it? If it is I remember it as a fabulous macro spot. A friendly farmer allowed us to park in his field to dive it if its the same place.

Hi Paul, yep thats the very place. Loads of little yellow and red feather duster worms all over the place. A great macro spot indeed.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements