adamhanlon

Wetpixel D800 review

Broadly speaking, I concur with Drew.

I'm doing some read/write testing for the review-so will post details soon.

Adam

If my math is right, the 1000x card is writing at about 500x. Maybe the D800 can't write any faster, or internal processing speed of the D800 is the bottleneck.

70 mbs/s 70/.15 = 467 x

Edited by Don in Colorado

So I'm thinking that a 60 mb/s card should work out fine for strobe photography and a 90+mb/s card for non-flash active shots on the D800.

Elmer

Edited by eyu

Hi David,

As Alex stated it's possible to set the AF-C in focus priority mode via the menu, which means it only releases when the focus is locked, i wasn't aware of that when i posted my previous reply. The other two options are release priority (always release when pushed) and release+focus priority, which means that it continues to focus (more slowly) when the contrast is too low or if it gets lower. On the other hand, in AF-S mode you can also set it in release mode. Anyway, i agree with you that the old switch with AF-S, AF-C an AF-M was more convenient.

Udo

I shoot one point in focus priority, Af-C. It seems to work well but sometimes the shot is still out of focus. I'll try Alex 3d tracking idea next time in the water

Is it just me or does anyone wish they can change the raw file size.!!!! With an extreme III 16 gig card it gives 290 images and when , Bear in mind we would do two to three dives before the card is removed so half that number, A bigger card might do the trick I've altered the jpeg file size but when shooting a lot of images underwater, don't wish my card space to be used up at a rate of knots.!!!

Goose

Further more, to say the 3D auto focus tracking system is quick, is an understatement, I've tested it on my dads two English Setters while running at full pelt and covered in water, and it was stunning, it will more than impress underwater when dealing with macro.!

Goose

Edited by goose

Does anyone know if there is a viewing window on the top of the housing.???

Goose

Does anyone know if there is a viewing window on the top of the housing.???

Goose

Depends on the brand... which are you interested in?

Nauticam nauticam rar rar rar.!!! lol

goose

Nauticam nauticam rar rar rar.!!! lol

goose

It does not come with top window...

"The SD cards are so slow they won't do much for the buffer. I'd shoot RAW to CF and jpg to SD. Or just shoot stills to CF and video to SD."

Sorry the quote thing did not work.!

CF Is way quicker than SD, I've had my D800 hooked up to my SB-900 flash gun on ttl and manual and to be fair the write speed it's bloody quic on both settings (TTL slightly quicker)so my question is how does it fair to a Z240 has anybody compared the two, and how quick does it need to be.!!

Goose

Hi Goose,

Your question is dependent on several factors, but whether you use fiber optic triggering of your Inon (manual or TTL), or manual triggering via an electronic connection, the speed is likely to be determined by the recycle time of the strobes, not by card write speed.

I would guess that even with an SB900, the flash's recycle time is the limiting factor too, although this will depend on how big each output is.

Strobe recycle time is dependent again on many factors-the power of each output, battery condition and ambient temperature.

If a fast recycling time is crucial (back to bait balls), then the Inon is poor solution. You will be better served with a larger strobe with a bigger battery capacity/output. This will mean it will be able to recycle faster.

So the short answer is that you can use either CF or SD card if you are using strobes, because the bottleneck is likely to be the strobes, not the card.

Adam

Hi folks,

The review is nearing completion, and the first part should be online very soon.

Below is an example of some cropping:

i-7Hpsj78-M.jpg

Original image

i-kfSKpVc-M.jpg

Crop

This is not an extreme example of what can be done with this cameras resolution-but gives a general idea!

Another example of the tonal range. This was (deliberately) underexposed. The shadows were restored very simply in Lightroom:

i-HhFzc4h-M.jpg

Adam

Hello Alex and all the other D800 users!

I have a question regarding AF: I think the D7000 AF has some annoying issues:

In the AF-S mode we can ONLY choose 1 or 39 AUTO focus points and nothing in between (in AF-C mode we hace a lot of different options); the D300 is better in this aspect (even the D200 would allow more configurations)

The AF-A is a mix between AF-S and AF-C so if I have both S and C set with shutter priority: why is always AF-A locked in a focus priority mode?

Both of these problems could be firmware fixed...

How are the D800 AF modes? do they offer more options?

Thank you very much!

Hi There as far as I can tell the AF-S mode will only let you select single point focus, and will only focus on that single point selected regardless of 9 21 or 51, when auto is selected in the in the AF-S mode it will only select no more than 9 focal points around the single focal point you have pre selected in the info window. There is no AF-A as i can tell just yet, but I'm sure someone might point me in the right direction.!!!

Goose

The first parts of the D800 review are now online. You can view them here (on the Wetpixel front page).

http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/wetpixel-d800-camera-review/

I am working as I write on the next section which will be "Resolution, ISO and tonal range". I should have it posted in the next couple of days. I still have a little underwater testing to do for parts of the review, so expect that the full review will be spread out over the next few weeks. Please keep checking back for updates!

Adam

You've got me sold Adam. I'm defo getting one to use exclusively with the 15mm lens

Edited by John Bantin

I think a very important point about using DX crop that I discovered, is that you get a full size image on the live view screen, not cropped as in the viewfinder - makes the concept of shooting DX much more useful.

Hi all,

The next instalment is now online. The camera is now with Alex Mustard, who I hope will add some of his ideas to the review. I stil have a few more topics to cover too.

Image size and "shooting to crop" is here:

http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/wetpixel-d8...mera-review/P3/

@Jeff-this is a good point. The only drawback is the focusing performance of the camera in Live View. More in my section on AF performance......

I also totally agree that the camera makes you a lot fussier about what you keep on the card :lol:

Adam

Off topicish, but I've only just seen this but feel inclined to reply.

Firstly, the reason that I do not use matrix metering or its equivalent is because at the end of the day it is a form of automation. Its assessment of exposure is based on a variety of parameters and as such can be fooled and so has a degree of unpredictability built in. I prefer to use my own knowledge and experience and sort out exposure myself. This is not a counter but an explanation.

Secondly, I apparently rushed to Seacam's defence, but my observations were the same in the days when I used greeny-blue, film Subals. IMHO it is still not the colour but the reflections, perhaps allied to the round 'eye' like appearance of a port which causes problems.

Again he's rushing in for Seacam. It's so typical

Sponsors

Advertisements