Marjo

Dive/Photo equipment insurance revisited?

This really should be moved to the related thread in the General forum....http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46469

Steve

There is another long thread on this same topic in the Tips and Techniques forum. Perhaps they can be merged?

Steve

Loss, ie flooding, in-use is only ever going to occur to a relatively minor proportion of gross insured value so that's a risk I am happy to accept and one which I feel happy to exercise control over and would never be a show-stopper.

Ho ho ho: I dropped my Nauticam...

... that's worse than a flood!

Tim

:)

Ho ho ho: I dropped my Nauticam...

... that's worse than a flood!

Tim

Agreed, I feel your pain Tim. But I expect you'll be diving your replacement rig with a lanyard over deep water...

Agreed, I feel your pain Tim. But I expect you'll be diving your replacement rig with a lanyard over deep water...

I had a lanyard: it's that handing it back to the boat moment...

Tim

I'm looking into insuring the gear with either DAN or State Farm. On $6200 worth of insured gear the costs differs quite a bit. I "think" DAN is 3.5% (annual cost ~ $225) and State Farm (~ $115).

I am worried about flooding, operator error, as well as everything else, theft, transit damage, etc.

I think I read someone saying that State Farm type of insurance (personal articles rider on top of a regular home owners insurance) would NOT cover flooding and operator error? True?

About 12 years ago my home was burglarized. Over $50,000 of CDs were stolen among other things. It took forever before State Farm paid up and then as soon as it did, they cancelled my insurance. But, at least they paid. The music collection has never been the same.

Steve

I think I read someone saying that State Farm type of insurance (personal articles rider on top of a regular home owners insurance) would NOT cover flooding and operator error? True?

Not true, at least on my policy. I have whats called an "all perils" policy and it means exactly that. I don't know what Douglas was trying to pull 12 years ago, :) but my State Farm agent paid up last year when my 70-200 fell out of a locker on the boat and hit the deck cracking the lens body. They wrote the check with out even seeing my broken lens, just took my word for it. The best thing to do is to talk to your agent and clear up any questions you have.

Good Luck,

Steve

Fortunately Steve, I had pictures of all the CD cases, a rolodex with each CD typed on a separate card and a notebook listing all discs as back up. They couldn't argue the number with me and that's what it came to. Of course, several of the discs were autographed to me by Etta James who recently passed away and many were audiophile discs or out of print which raised the individual costs even more. There were a bunch of other things taken as well, a gold ring, leather jacket and other stuff too long gone for me to remember.

Steve

My state farm insurance covers loss for any reason, including flooding, theft, dropping on hard surface, lost, etc. Ask your insurance agent about what is covered. Since its not part of any other coverage, a claim does not effect my car or home owners insurance. My small claim with them required a written estimate for repairs, which was immediately paid.

This really should be moved to the related thread in the General forum....http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46469

Steve

I'd be happy to move it, but I can't. How do I get it moved?

Sorry if I posted in the incorrect place.

You can't, that would be something the moderators like Drew would have to do.

Steve

Hi Michael,

You are not alone! I have been pursuing my claim for 16 months now. I have a similar set of emails, but mine cover 15 pages of legal paper at font size 8! I also have a very similar email from Deane Lehrmitt, also in Blue Caps, also B%$#Sh1t.

I have just finished my complaint to the Kentucky State Insurance Commissioners Office and it will be going to the AG office in California and Kentucky too.

My claim is approved, has been since October last year, but they will not send the money. They have long since received the cash from the insurers and have probably spent it elsewhere.

I wouldnt worry about where this is posted, its just good that you are spreading the word. This company is clearly in difficulty and doing everything it can to not honor claims. Tell everyone you meet with dive equipment and cameras, DEPP are fraudulent. They have seriously p*&^^^d me off. aggressive.gif

Best Simon

They had no trouble replying when my luggage went missing lately (luckily it was found a week later, so no claim needed). As well, no problem sending out a renewal notice six weeks in advance. I am going to be checking into another option in Canada. Stay tuned for details if it pans out.

I once paid over £250 to insure my UW vid camera, travelled and dived all over the world on a 9 month trip with no incidents. On my way back home in LAX stopping from Fiji the bag the housing was in broke causing video housing and camera to fall out onto concrete- smash!

on my return to UK I phoned insurance company and they wouldn't give me any money as I had not had the video camera serviced i.e. had any paperwork to say the setup wasn't broken when I got the insurance out.

This was an expensive lesson to always read the small print!

Dear "dreading",

If you had followed the IPG saga, you' see that people not reading the fine print was never the issue. The fault was entirely with the company and as it now abundantly clear to everyone. Feeling very sorry for everyone who lost out on both money and time with dealing with these people as well as everyone who tried to stand up to them but got dragged through the mud by them and also the one dive industry publication that was all too happy to defend them to the point that they implied that every person who had a "policy" with IPG and had a compliant was either stupid, lazy or dishonest. I have been and am biting my tongue here, but I hope this entire serves as a warning to everyone in case these jokers ever show up on the insurance arena again.

Edited by Marjo

Sponsors

Advertisements