Sign in to follow this  
Luko

What's happening to this nudibranch?

Cannot interpret what's wrong with this Hypselodoris Bullocki in Lembeh.

Quite smallish, no more than 3 cm, I reckon. Not really a first class photo subject but at first look, it seemed like having a problem. Hence I took a quick shot.

On dryland, closer inspection showed the gills were displaying either malformation, parasite or some stuff with egglike texture.

I posted 2 images of the nudi and a closeup of the same photo. Would somebody enlight me of what is going on with it?

Thanks

Luko

post-1354-1337718884.jpg

post-1354-1337718894.jpg

I don't know what's happening with the gills but those eggs are from an internal crustacean parasite, most likely a copepod.

Internal Crustacean Parasite....

nice!

Thanks for your help.

Two more questions :

- considering the 2 eggs pouch, the copepod looks very big, oversized comparing to its host... or am I wrong?

- I'd also suppose the gills alteration has something to do with the insider size, probably preventing them to come out completely ?

I've no idea about copepod size. Why don't you write Michael Schroedl, an expert on both nudibranchs & their copepod parasites? schroedl@zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de

The gill damage might be a coincidence. If I saw that kind of damage without the egg sacs I would guess that a predator took a bite out of the gills and they are now regrowing.

I've no idea about copepod size. Why don't you write Michael Schroedl, an expert on both nudibranchs & their copepod parasites? schroedl@zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de

The gill damage might be a coincidence. If I saw that kind of damage without the egg sacs I would guess that a predator took a bite out of the gills and they are now regrowing.

Thanks Leslie.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements