Sign in to follow this  
bear35

Help Needed.What micro 4/3- EVIL camera set up.

Ok, I have at the moment a very old tired looking fuji f30 that needs to retire. I am looking at the EVIL/ 4/3 (or what ever you want to call them) at the moment. The problem is I dont know anything about cameras and was hoping someone with some knoledge about these things could help.

I am looking at either the Olympus Pens or the Sony NEX5N. Comparisons sites seem to favour the the NEX5N (with the exception of lenses) but I a am tad worried that I will buy something too complicated for me to use as I am used to the point and shoot.

ANY help or advice would be great regarding either of my mentioned cameras or any other options.unknw.gif

Look at the new Olympus OM-D. This camera is getting great reviews. Housings are not widely available, yet.

I just picked up an OM-D, was in the same situation as you trying to decide and I had narrowed my choices down to the OM-D, Panasonic GX1, or NEX 5/7.

The OM-D is great so far, great size, great image quality, built in image stabilization, nice evf, fast af, 1/250th sync speed... now we just need a few housing options.

Olympus housing is on its way and I hear Nauticam is as well...

Ok, I have at the moment a very old tired looking fuji f30 that needs to retire. I am looking at the EVIL/ 4/3 (or what ever you want to call them) at the moment. The problem is I dont know anything about cameras and was hoping someone with some knoledge about these things could help.

I am looking at either the Olympus Pens or the Sony NEX5N. Comparisons sites seem to favour the the NEX5N (with the exception of lenses) but I a am tad worried that I will buy something too complicated for me to use as I am used to the point and shoot.

ANY help or advice would be great regarding either of my mentioned cameras or any other options.unknw.gif

You can always use it in the Auto mode. Just an expensive P&S until you utilize the options. You can get a macro lens and an Inon strobe with optical iTTL. Put the camera in the A for apterure mode and at f/8 to f/11 and fire away. I am looking for a new mirrorless rig; haven't bough anything yet. To me, the Oly E-M seems the best at the moment.

Enjoy the journey,

Bob

Edited by Deep6

I am off to shoot the OMD E-M5 underwater at the weekend and through next week. Will be writing it up for Wetpixel.

Will be comparing it to other M4/3 cameras and DSLRs (D7000 level). We don't have any Sony's at the review event.

Alex

I am off to shoot the OMD E-M5 underwater at the weekend and through next week. Will be writing it up for Wetpixel.

Will be comparing it to other M4/3 cameras and DSLRs (D7000 level). We don't have any Sony's at the review event.

Alex

Are you planning to test them with macro lenses? I would be interested in hearing what you think of their macro capabilities and how the EVF performs underwater.

Byron

Thanks for everyones input. The E-M5 does look like the ideal option but I will struggle to afford that price by the time I have added all the extras.

What I will do is opt for an EPM1 at the moment then at least I can upgrade camera and housing but still keep all the lenses and ports etc at a later date... THANKS :P

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements