Yes - the housings were early ones. The one in the photos in the review has a serial number of 00019 on it. I expand on this in the review, which should be up any time now. Meant a few teething problems, but nothing too serious.

Alex

Thanks you guys!

Alex, the half second lag with ttl was disappointing.

If you half press, and lock exposure or something, could your force it to do the pre-flash early? So you could give the final half press at the crucial instant?

Thanks!

Hi Don,

Manual is the answer I came up with. But hopefully a more experience user might have an idea for keeping TTL and avoiding flash-lag.

Alex

For some reason the images for the review have quite a lot of compression on them and this makes the 100% crops misleading. So I have re-posted them again here and now I can use these versions for the article.

Base ISO 100% crop from 16MP RAW file

post-713-1338581534.jpg

100% crop from ISO 400 RAW file. No noise reduction.

post-713-1338581847.jpg

100% crop from ISO 800 RAW file. No noise reduction.

post-713-1338581883.jpg

100% crop from ISO 1600 RAW file. No noise reduction.

post-713-1338581917.jpg

100% crop from ISO 3200 RAW file. No noise reduction.

post-713-1338581943.jpg

100% crop from ISO 3200 RAW file. Mild noise reduction applied.

post-713-1338581622.jpg

100% crop from ISO 6400 RAW file. Mild noise reduction applied.

post-713-1338581647.jpg

100% crop at ISO 640 of no-flash macro at 1/30th with stabiliser

post-713-1338582556.jpg

Alex

Great review Alex; I've always loved Olympus for their innovative engineering, compact form etc. In my film days, I switched from Nikon F to Olympus OM particularly when I travelled a lot. They definitely were not as rugged as my Nikons though, with pieces falling off etc. Their lenses have always been top notch.

So many nice camera choices these days - I think digital is really now at the level where it affordably surpasses film, and one makes very few compromises, no matter which brand or format you choose.

Edited by loftus

better images yes.

According to imaging resource, the shutter lag testers... The d7000 has a full AF and flash lag of .31 seconds, and the em5 has a lag of .44 seconds.

So a bit more than a tenth second slower. Did it feel more difference than that, in real life?

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D7000/D7000A6.HTM

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/omd-em5/omd-em5A6.HTM

Good info Don, but the site doesn't do the exact comparison we want, which is pre-focused and TTL flash. As if you were shooting a fish you would be focusing as you waited for the moment to shoot, so the full AF acuisition time is not really relevant as the button would be half pressed. So we should consider the pre-focused time, but with TTL flash (which is not listed in their tests).

Both cameras are very fast if pre-focused 0.05 secs. But if TTL is on I don't think the Nikon (and other slrs) slows down so little as to not be noticeable, but the E-M5 slows down a lot. In manual flash both are very fast.

Alex

Excellent reading Alex. It is a shame that Olympus would not at least offer a pickup finder for this housing like the ones on the Oly DSLR housings so that the EVF would be of some use. They offered a way for the add-on EVF to be used in the first PEN housing and it was useless for the same reason. To bad they did not learn that many will favor the EVF over the LCD. Also seems a bit short sighted to change the port mount when after market ports for the PEN housing already cover several of the better lenses you reviewed.

Phil Rudin

Also seems a bit short sighted to change the port mount when after market ports for the PEN housing already cover several of the better lenses you reviewed.

I am not sure if this is correct. According to the housing map (http://www.olympus.co.jp/jp/support/cs/pen...stem_ptep08.pdf) the PPO-EP01 port being offered is the same port used on the PT-EP01 (E-PL1) housing, it is just removed from the housing ( :) ) like they would not admit too.

There is an adapter being offered that allows 4/3 ports to be used as well. Hopefully Alex might be able to shed some light on this....

I hope that you are correct since several ports are already owned by PEN owners that may want to move up.

Phil

Many useful points here. Please also feel free to add comments to the end of the review. Wetpixel reviews get much larger reader numbers than most forum threads. Comments and opinion posted below the article will be very useful to anyone reading the review.

Regarding the ports. I don't think PEN ones fit automatically. But I no longer have the housing in front of me, so I cannot confirm that.

The ports I used were Olympus ones. The dome was old and fitted straight on the housing (so presumably the same port mount as older Olympus housings, pre-PEN).

Given that many PEN users are going to fancy this camera/housing, it would make sense for Olympus or another manufacturer to make a port adaptor. It would certainly be a good seller.

Alex

Great review Alex. I will probably be one of those SLR shooters who downsize! Looking forward to what Nauticam comes out with for this camera.

Great review Alex. I will probably be one of those SLR shooters who downsize! Looking forward to what Nauticam comes out with for this camera.

That is exactly what I was thinking and was about to say ...

Thank again Alex for this so useful report :)

Here is the Google translation of the Olympus Jap website, it specifies a adapter that can be used for older 4/3 ports but no mention of the newer PEN housing ports.

http://www.olympus.co.jp/jp/info/2012a/if120326ptep08j.cfm

Olympus Imaging Corporation is April 6, 2012 (Friday), the protector "PT-EP08" genuine dedicated waterproof camera "OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5" micro-SLR that conforms to the "Micro Four Thirds System" The celebration reference exhibit 8 (Sun), will be held at Sunshine City in Ikebukuro, Tokyo, the world's oceans and resort to "Marine Diving Fair 20 th.""PT-EP08", announced simultaneously with the "OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5", is dedicated waterproof case and genuine aircraft. Underwater photography, yet full-fledged system of water depth breakdown voltage specification of 45m, utilizing the advantage of size and weight of the camera body, and has realized comfortable operability in water. "PT-EP08", a bayonet, you can replace the waterproof lens ports. Lens port "PPO-EP01" waterproof standard, "M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm F3.5-5.6II", "M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm F3.5-5.6IIR", "M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED corresponds to the 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 "※. By using the port adapter "PAD-EP08" waterproof (sold separately), you can wear waterproof lens ports that conform to the "Four Thirds System." Lens of the three "ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm F3.5 Fisheye" "ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 50mm F2.0 Macro" "35mm F3.5 Macro ZUIKO DIGITAL" is the ※ available.

Edited by devildiver

As a long time Olympus 43 DSLR user I can tell you that from Athena, Inon, Olympus and others their are more than twenty ports with the threaded Olympus mount along with many extension ports for TC, extension tubes and other use. These will all fit this housing via an adapter. The problem is that many would be more well suited to 43 lenses with adapter (slow AF) than they would be to the smaller M43 lenses.

Regarding the ZEN ports for the PEN housings, I sent an E-mail and they do NOT think that the ports will fit this housing. It remains to be seen if an adapter can be designed or if a new port mount will need to be developed. Again if this is the case Olympus PEN owners should be upset.

For further information on housings for this camera you may want to tune into the Google live video hangout, (see Wetpixel front page) coming 5 June noon EST.

Phil Rudin

Edited by Phil Rudin

I've found this on Olympus site :

<a href="http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/pen-camera_pen_21693_accessory_ppo-ep01_25876.htm" target="_blank">http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/pen-came...-ep01_25876.htm</a>

So it seems that the port for the 60mm will accept also the 14-42 and 9-18 , not the 12-50..And more of all , I can't see on the little picture any 67 mm thread to attach wet macro lense especially of course when using the 60 mm :)

But if I well understand the Nauticam port for the 14-42 ( port 56 , WITH A 67 MM THREAD )or 9-18 ( ???)should also suits the 60 mm , as the purpose of moving from a DSLR to a micro 43 is to carry less weight when travelling I think that this is a very important question , and more of all of course less change of port and more more of all less money to spend !!

Edited by girelle

Regarding the Olympus 60mm macro For M43 which is coming in the next few months, you may want to take a close look at photos of this lens on Google images and elsewhere. The lens has a focus scale on the barrel for macro and it has a limiting switch as well. This will be the only macro lens I know of that has four focus range settings. You can set the lens to focus from 1:1 out to infinity, from around 1:1 to around eighteen inches, from around1:4 to 1:1 and I believe from 1:1.1 to 1:1. If a port is made which allows access to this setting switch you will be able to limit how much the lens "hunts" by a large margin. At 1:1 the area in the frame is 17.3 X 13mm, quite small without a close up lens. If you are able to limit the lens to the 1:1.1 to1:1 range and add a +5 or +10 diopter AF will still work but only in that limited focus range where you want it to be. I see this as a big upside to any macro photography situation. I hope to see someone step up with a macro port that will take full advantage of this lens capability.

Regarding the Olympus port above, you may find better choices from Inon and Athena who both have dome ports in this size range and 67mm threaded ports for adding closeup lenses.

Phil Rudin

Cant wait! Hope it has a nice usable evf like on the NEX-7 housing!

Out very soon....

The "non-japanese" system chart for the PT-EP08 housing is also available here PT-EP08 SYSTEM CHART, and on many other Olympus pages.

It is slightly simpler than the japanese one, which e.g. shows that the zoom ring for the old M43 14-42mm is PPZR-EP01 (PPZR-EP02 is for the newer 14-42II and 14-42IIR)

The system chart shows that there will be no mechanism to use the focus limiting switch of the 60mm, which I had not expected anyway.

However, several other combinations of lenses are possible using the Olympus stuff and e.g. older 4/3 lenses than shown on the chart.

How well they'll perform may depend on

1) whether the distance from the lens to the port glass will be the same as on the older 4/3 housings (for E-520, E-620, E-3 etc.) or if that is changed slightly by the port adapter (PAD-EP08)

2) how well the AF performs on these older lenses.

3) if the old zoom rings for the 7-14mm and 11-22mm will match with the new housing

E.g

4/3: 11-22mm + PAD-EP08 + PER-02 + PPO-E04 (Dome) + PPZR-E02

4/3: 7-14mm + PAD-EP08 + PER-02 + PPO-E04 (Dome) + PPZR-E03 - I would only do this if I already had this quite expensive (and good) lens

m4/3 12-50mm: Should be easy to house using the extension rings (PER-01 and PER-02) and some of the older flat ports (PPO-E01, PPO-E02, PPO-E05) or the dome (PPO-E04). But whether a zoom gear will fit is another question.

m4/3 60mm macro: If you already the old macro port (PPO-E03), consider using this as it has a very narrow front, something I like. Perhaps use it with a short port extension (PER-E01) if the space is needed to house the 60mm, or you would like to reduce the amount of water between lens and subject in murky waters. However - it has no 67mm threading.

If you do not have it, or would like to use wet lens diopters etc., the just use the PPO-EP01 and get the macro lens adapter (PMLA-EP01) which have have a 67mm threading so you can attach the Olympus macro conversion lens (PTMC-01) or e.g. a subsee diopter.

If using the old ports frequently I would consider buying several port adapters (PAD-EP08) and attach to each of the old ports, since the bayonet mount is likely faster for changing ports than the original screw-threaded ones of the Olympus (which have very narrow tolerances, and are therefore often tight to unscrew).

Another thing: Using m43 lenses behind the Olympus dome will make it work as if it was a much larger dome (compared to when it is used with old 4/3 lenses) with the pro's and cons of that. So this will now be the "megadome" for m43 underwater systems, and then we just use another dome for the CFWA shots. Since the old Athena ports fitted the 4/3 Olympus underwater housings, they should also fit now, using the PAD-EP08 adapter.

@Phil: do you know who actually make the Olympus Dome? Isn't it exactly the same as the Athena 170?

They also use the same "Doom" cover, although Olympus spell it differently :-)

Jonas

Hello

I'm new to the world of the micro 43 , so perhaps my question could be stupid , sorry for that .

But I want to know if I need an Adaptater ( MMF-3 the one I see on Olympus chart ) to use the Leica 45 mm macro or the 8 mm Panasonic with my brand new Olympus E-M5 .

By the way this camera is fantastic !!:):)

Hi Girelle. The adapter is not needed for any true micro 4/3 lens, which means the leica 45 macro will not need it.

The chart is not showing all the panasonic lenses, only olympus.

The adapter is only needed for old 4/3 legacy lenses.

Hi Girelle,

The adapter is to allow ports that were designed for past housings for Olympus DSLR cameras (both from Olympus, SeaTool and Nexus) to be fitted to the PT-E08 housing for the E-M5 camera. Over twenty different ports exist at this time as well as several extension ports to move the port out from the housing.

I would be waiting to see what else is offered for the much smaller M43 lenses if I were considering this housing. After market ports will be coming which will be more suited to the size of the lenses.

Other housings will also be coming that already have ports designed for the M43 lenses.

Phil Rudin

The adapter is only needed for old 4/3 legacy lenses.

Speaking of which, I would love to hear from anyone who has shot the E-M5 with the standard 4/3rds 50mm (and 1.4 TC if possible). For better or for worse I'm heavily invested in 4/3rds lenses, and completely switching systems is not an affordable option. I'm not that concerned with focus speed, as I shoot 95% of my macro in manual focus. I'm primarily interested in the quality of the image compared to my aging E-410. Phil, any thoughts?

-David

Edited by dsbierman

Sponsors

Advertisements