DamonA

Question about AD7000 focus gear set ups.

Do I need the 18426 macro port to use the manual focus, or does the on housing dial(no.11 in the manual) work the focus gear, with the 18453 extension ring and focus gear (F)18679?

As I already bought the 18428 AF port, I hope it doesn't need another port to operate it manually.

I realize I need manual because the AF on the D7000 often doesn't focus exactly where I want it too at lest doing macro with the 60mm. I just picked up a 105mm nikkor lens on ebay for $390 and want to make sure I don't waste money buying equipment I might not don't need- money doesn't go far with this hobby.

I have been trying to get thru to Aquatica via email but alas no reply......

Regards,

Damon

I believe to use the Aquatica gear you will need the manual focus port. I have a focus gear made by Xit404 that allows you to use your zoom wheel, it works pretty good. Cheaper then another port and gear and works great too. Maybe the best thing about it that you don't have to take your hand off the left grip to focus, just a finger over to the zoom control to turn the zoom wheel.

Look on xit404.com for info, I am not affiliated.

I believe to use the Aquatica gear you will need the manual focus port. I have a focus gear made by Xit404 that allows you to use your zoom wheel, it works pretty good. Cheaper then another port and gear and works great too. Maybe the best thing about it that you don't have to take your hand off the left grip to focus, just a finger over to the zoom control to turn the zoom wheel.

Look on xit404.com for info, I am not affiliated.

I like the sound of it, I checked out the website and I am hoping that the 105mm f2.8d is the same as the newer VR 105mm for focus operation.

Thanks for your info Paul!

Another question; does the extension ring(18453) for the port need the 18469 Extension to Port locking collar, is there a risk of it flooded thru poor handling without it?

Cheers,

Damon

Edited by DamonA

Another question; does the extension ring(18453) for the port need the 18469 Extension to Port locking collar, is there a risk of it flooded thru poor handling without it?

Cheers,

Damon

I don't use the extension to port locking collar and have not had a problem. I'm thinking about getting one for "belts and suspenders", but from what I can make of it, it will only work on the dome ports, not the macro ports. If Jean is looking at this, maybe he can clarify this.

Kirk

I like the sound of it, I checked out the website and I am hoping that the 105mm f2.8d is the same as the newer VR 105mm for focus operation.

Thanks for your info Paul!

Cheers,

Damon

My housing and extensions are not where I am at the moment but I would go to Aquaticas website and and look it up if it were me.

You must either commit to shooting manually for the whole dive with the old 105mm, unless you also buy the focus selection ring. The old lens has a manual/AF switch. You absolutely need the macro port with manual focus knob with the 105mm, due to the extension ring.

Cheers,

Marli

Damon, Sorry, I was in South America for the last 10 days, while I did monitor my Aquatica e-mail box, I did not so with my home e-mail (where you wrote me)

Aquapaul has a good suggestion if you already own the AF Macro port you can get the XIT404, but also to consider (at no extra cost) is the AF Lock button/lever on the housing, this camera function can let you either lock the focus in place or if pressed to focus when needed (making the Auto Focus indepandent from the shutter release) I use the AF/lock function a lot in super and regular macro, I find it is less fiddling than trying to manually focus on close subject.

One thing with the older AF-D lens, as Marli said, you will have to commit to manual focus if you desire manual, there is no switching back in forth as you would on the newer AF-S version, which is why I like the AF Lock approach.

and, yes, you need an extension ring with this lens

I am back in the office tomorrow (jean@aquatica.ca) if you have any questions

Cheers

Damon, Sorry, I was in South America for the last 10 days, while I did monitor my Aquatica e-mail box, I did not so with my home e-mail (where you wrote me)

Aquapaul has a good suggestion if you already own the AF Macro port you can get the XIT404, but also to consider (at no extra cost) is the AF Lock button/lever on the housing, this camera function can let you either lock the focus in place or if pressed to focus when needed (making the Auto Focus indepandent from the shutter release) I use the AF/lock function a lot in super and regular macro, I find it is less fiddling than trying to manually focus on close subject.

One thing with the older AF-D lens, as Marli said, you will have to commit to manual focus if you desire manual, there is no switching back in forth as you would on the newer AF-S version, which is why I like the AF Lock approach.

and, yes, you need an extension ring with this lens

I am back in the office tomorrow (jean@aquatica.ca) if you have any questions

Cheers

No worries Jean.

I am jealous! 10 days sth Amerika! sounds like fun, if you went diving that is....

The XIT gear isn't available for my lens for one month, so I will get the extension ring and try it using focus lock first off- I still think I will need the gear ultimately.

Thanks everybody for your advises,

Damon

No worries Jean.

I am jealous! 10 days sth Amerika! sounds like fun, if you went diving that is....

The XIT gear isn't available for my lens for one month, so I will get the extension ring and try it using focus lock first off- I still think I will need the gear ultimately.

Thanks everybody for your advises,

Damon

It would have been better, but I got cut on the leg by a boat propeller and this reset the water based activity to zero :) , at least the propeller was not turning, still I end up with six stitches, well I will be ready for the Digital Shootout at least!!!

Sponsors

Advertisements