Sign in to follow this  
mexwell

EOS 300D in the Med. Sea: Octopus

Hi,

I just came back from my trip to the beautiful island of Mallorca in the mediterranean sea.

I did my first dives with the EOS 300D and my new Ikelite housing + DS-50.

Pictures are taken with Canon 50mm maco lens. 1/50 and f/10.

Most are cropped, colour optimised and some backscatter removed.

Please give my some insight of what you think...

I like all of your pictures, especially the octopus and the blenny. It certainly makes me want to get on the dSLR wagon. Good work!

Hi Christian

the octopus is gorgeous ! and the triplefin, too

I saw all these guys on the coast of the Spanish Catalan coast 2 years ago

any crustaceans ???

Art :wink:

very original approach of the octo'

here's a subject that is very nice centered!

congratulations and show us more !

Agreed. Nice composition. Just a touch over exposed.

Christian - wonderful photo! I'm interested in how you are processing the color. The photo looks natural, but it's also nice and saturated.

am i dumb .. why cant i find the blenny or any other pics from this trip ..

but yes the octopus is fantastic .. realy good shot, i agree it looks al ittle overexposed .. but not by much .. it may just be the display or at least rescuable.

Very nice Octo! The weather is good enough to dive this time of year? What is the water temperature?

Nice Octopus Christian! God composition!

davephdv; now the water is cold (14-15ºC and this is cold for me...) the better season for dive here is betwen May and October.

Thank you all very much for the critics and the praise. I am glad that I did well on my first dive ever with the new housing. Still plenty of room to improve for me!

@Art

Sorry, the only crustaceans I saw were some tiny lobsters and the pictures had not enough DOF and focus in the wrong plase.

@herbko

Upon a 2nd look you are absolutely right. I gave the new PS function "middle lights/tones" (I don´t know the correct english name) a try and got this as an result. After some playing with it -> Its a perfect tool for underwater use!!!

@eric

I normaly run it to PS by 1) the tonal curves, 2) saturation 3) unmask sharpening

So nothing special. I am at work right now and only have the edited image at ahnd. When I get home I will üpost the unaltered shoot. By that you can judge the alteration process.

@digitallywet

I posted the pics in different threads.

@davephdv

the weather was very nice and the sea was calm. Viz was near perfect but the water was f+'$%§# cold. -> 12 C. I the base had not a hot shower I would have never dived 60 minutes per dive.

WOW! Awesome composition. Its a centered shot, but almost uses thirds on the eyes.

Are you sure its not a Mimic Octopus trying to fool you into thinking its a cowboy hat? Okay.. I know... lame joke. ;)

But man! Great shot!

@eric

Here is the shot right as it came from the camera. Only resized and stripped down to below 65kb with the "save for web" function in PS.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements