johnspierce

Back Inflation or Jacket style BCD

POLL: Back Inflation or Jacket BCD  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you use?

• I use a Back Inflation BCD
    • I use a Jacket style BCD

That front pouch looks pretty bulky creating drag in the water. At least, that's how it looks to me.

Steve

That front pouch looks pretty bulky creating drag in the water. At least, that's how it looks to me.

Steve

When it's unzipped! If you don't want drag - free dive.

Also the inflation hose looks a tad longish! It really only needs to reach your mouth.

Junk on both of ure hips and your lap, buoyancy increasing padding.... I don't like it- that's exact in the space where I slip stream my camera when swimming against current under load, a smb & reel is best(IMHO) clipped off to a ring on the crotch strap, where it connects to the s.s backplate. I do like to hunt lite.......

It's a bit of a drag show........

Edited by DamonA

I made a mistake posting a picture because people make judgements based on presumption. I was merely showing the front pouch. The padding on the hips does not increase buoyancy since it is a weight harness full of lead to counter the multiple tanks worn by the diver who is doing a long deco-stop after a dive on a wreck in Truk. A long corrugated hose? Her right hand looks a bit big too in comparison to her left and to her single fin! It's the close-up prespective of a wide-angle lens at a close distance from the subject. As for drag, three tanks form quite a drag!

(I've probably used more different BCs than anyone reading this. It's my job. In fact I've used every BC available on the European market over the last 20 years to date. This was always one of my favourites and the choice of my wife for that trip to Truk.)

Edited by John Bantin

No drama John- you use it, you chose it!

It's always a contentious issue and maybe my reasons for choosing a BP/W are different to yours, as construction worker to me comfort means; I am not working today ;)

Also I dive locally out of my own boat and sometimes alone, I have to always make it back to the boat.

I use both systems.

I have a "old" Jacket style BCD that I mainly use as a travel ( warmwater) Jacket.

I have a wing Jacket for dry suit coldwater diving.

In my opinion a Wing Jacket can both be great ( finning around) and a pain in the Butt ( Surface etc).

( I tend to look more downwards and less upwards with a Wing Jacket. )

My solution is a couple of clip weights, as trim weights for the Wing, allowing me to adjust to the situation during a dive.

This "solution" fits nicely to drysuit coldwater diving, in which you tend to have surplus "warming" weights.

It is not the ideal solution for Warmwater (no/less surplus weights) and obviously travel/flying.

/Erik

Ps! They are also extremely useful for OWD Students as well :-)

For me its all about ultra lightweight, simplicity and comfort.

The Zeagle Express Tech ticks all the boxes, love diving this little rig when we are traveling, weighs next to nothing and what ore do you need when shooting underwater ?

006490_big4.jpgzeagle-express-deluxe.jpg

Edited by Chriso

How many wings/BCs are there on the market today? If there was only one correct solution, there would only be one.

How many wings/BCs are there on the market today? If there was only one correct solution, there would only be one.

New divers rarely recognize the correct solution, and it's difficult for any manufacturer to create a monopoly in the market. A cheap, poorly designed BC will gain some market share based solely on price.

Here's the difference, for me, between a jacket BC and a backplate/wing in tropical diving:

I need to wear 8-10lbs when wearing a jacket BC with a 3/2 full suit. That 10lbs is required to sink the first 15ft, then the jacket BC is needed to prevent a ride to the bottom.

I wear 2lbs of lead when wearing an aluminum backplate+wing. I never need to touch my wing inflator hose underwater. The wing is only used at the surface. I'm perfectly neutral at any depth.

The difference in control and performance between the two systems is dramatic. But I understand why people stick to what they know.

I think that there needs to be some clarification between back inflate vs. Jacket inflate vs. Backplate and wings. I have an Aqualung Balance BC. It is rear inflate, it is not a BPW system so I am guessing at least some of the rear inflate bias might be because of that not the whole BPW vs. BCD controversy.

Bill

I think that there needs to be some clarification between back inflate vs. Jacket inflate vs. Backplate and wings. I have an Aqualung Balance BC. It is rear inflate, it is not a BPW system so I am guessing at least some of the rear inflate bias might be because of that not the whole BPW vs. BCD controversy.

Bill

Yeah, I should have put BP/W as a separate item in the poll. I'm suspecting from the comments a majority of people answering the poll might be using BP/W's. Interesting comments and results though.

JP

The dive conditions in San Diego have been poor this winter so I haven't gotten in the water in awhile. Just got a call from a friend to pack up my gear to dive off his boat tomorrow. All packed but then I remembered that I packed my winged BC which I use for warm water diving and filming. Had to switch out BCs to the Scuba Pro Classic jacket which fits over the drysuit. I hate it when I've been out of the water, my organization gets screwed up.

Steve

PS John, I wasn't criticizing, just making an observation and glad I was wrong. I've used a ton of different BCs over the last 30 years and all had their good and bad points. Now, lets talk horse collar BCs. Anyone for a Fenzy? I still have a couple.

I'm assuming that this poll is aimed at wetsuit users primarily? I wear a BC but only ever use it at the surface as all my buoyancy adjustment is made with my drysuit (so its a spare buoyancy device underwater). To me its important that the jacket provides good buoyancy at the surface and holds my head as far up as possible, but it seems that to many posters this is far less of an issue. Also FWIW my wife and I have 4 x BCs all Jacket style Buddys, at least one of which needs a service because the mesh has started to wear through (again). One is 25 years old and the youngest is 10. Perhaps I should actually try something newer.....

PS John, I wasn't criticizing, just making an observation and glad I was wrong. I've used a ton of different BCs over the last 30 years and all had their good and bad points. Now, lets talk horse collar BCs. Anyone for a Fenzy? I still have a couple.

I saw someone with a Fenzy soon after I learned to dive and thought it was a good idea. However, other divers at the time told me they were dangerous. I took no notice...but then that's me. I've always been a maverick!

My wife likes to keep a book in that front pouch. It gives her something to read during long deco-stops.

Edited by John Bantin

Now, lets talk horse collar BCs. Anyone for a Fenzy? I still have a couple.

And I still have a couple of friends who still use them.

I saw someone with a Fenzy soon after I learned to dive and thought it was a good idea. However, other divers at the time told me they were dangerous.

I was told that it was the direct feeds on them that were dangerous, and I wasn't allowed to use mine feed without training.

Those were the days......

I was told that it was the direct feeds on them that were dangerous...

Thank heavens: someone else has been at this game for nearly as long as I have!

I started with a Spirotechnique horse-collar (think: beefed-up Fenzy) with a SeaQuest direct-feed attachment... but my DO insisted that I still carried the inflation cylinder at b******k-bashing height. It was a delight to move on to a AP Valves Buddy SeaKing jacket (also with a cylinder, but this time tucked by my shoulder-blade, a much less troubling position)...

... and an almost equal delight to swap that for a Zeagle wing (despite the return of that strap between the legs). I've been an "angel" in the water ever since!

Tim

;)

Edited by tdpriest

Thank heavens: someone else has been at this game for nearly as long as I have!

I started with a Spirotechnique horse-collar (think: beefed-up Fenzy) with a SeaQuest direct-feed attachment... but my DO insisted that I still carried the inflation cylinder at b******k-bashing height. It was a delight to move on to a AP Valves Buddy SeaKing jacket (also with a cylinder, but this time tucked by my shoulder-blade, a much less troubling position)...

... and an almost equal delight to swap that for a Zeagle wing (despite the return of that strap between the legs). I've been an "angel" in the water ever since!

Tim

;)

Too long I sometimes think! My Spiro's long gone (punctured beyond economic repair) thank heavens (those crotch straps were a menace) but my Sea King is now my travel BC, although its lost its pockets (couldn't get things in and out) and acquired a second d/f where the cylinder feed used to be (originally for HSE purposes). Well faded of course, but still working and still on its original bladder.

It's looking like I should have included a "front inflation" option for you die-hard horse collar folks ;)

I started in 1983 and fortunately only dove with a horse collar BC twice.

I dove with the Fenzy from about 81 to 88. We used to buy them at the swap meets for $5 or 10 and seal them up with a ton of Aqua Seal. Always had the little tank between it and my chest but didn't often use it. I never used or had the CO2 cartridges but since I learned on the Fenzy I was quite happy. One can not miss what they've never had. Actually, only bought a ScubaPro Classic BC in place of the Fenzy because I had joined the Sheriffs Dive Team and they insisted that I have one. I certainly didn't think of them as dangerous and still don't. I think someone told me that, brand new, they cost $600 which was an awful lot of money back in the early 80's.

Steve

We used to buy them at the swap meets for $5 or 10

I bought one last year for £3 - perhaps still just about usable but I gave it to a friend for his dive gear collection.

I am all for wings....

I add a 1kg weight on the lower tank strap to balance the camera and give me a slightly better angle to look through the viewfinder which as an upside helps me from pitching forward even in large swells. However, i generally lean back and float like an otter with my camera resting on my chest! and another advantage of the wing - no buckles clips etc.. to do anything to the camera. and with a stainless steel backplate unless i am in a thicker suit than a 5mm - no additional weighting required!! :) i normally dive in a 3mm or a 5/4/3 suit so it is just about perfect.

I have been using back flotation BCs since at least early '90s. I always found less interference with my shooting. As an aside I have always used a lanyard of some sort from my camera rig clipped to my BC. Usually from tray to D ring on my chest. After using straight nylon cord one for years and years I went over to coiled one of the heavy duty type with s/s fittings (no wimpy ones).

Some camera housing allow weight to be screwed to base. I believe the goal is to have rig float upright and neutral? Isn't that the camera position most divers use?

Balance becomes tricky when using long arms for CFWA~

I have been using back flotation BCs since at least early '90s. I always found less interference with my shooting. As an aside I have always used a lanyard of some sort from my camera rig clipped to my BC. Usually from tray to D ring on my chest. After using straight nylon cord one for years and years I went over to coiled one of the heavy duty type with s/s fittings (no wimpy ones).

Some camera housing allow weight to be screwed to base. I believe the goal is to have rig float upright and neutral? Isn't that the camera position most divers use?

Balance becomes tricky when using long arms for CFWA~

Most DSLR's are negative to begin with, so when you add bouancy to the strobe arms to make your rig neutral, the bottom of the housing is the COG point anyhow.

Sponsors

Advertisements