Sign in to follow this  
cardash

Lights for video dslr

Guys, has anyone compared led video lights to hids on dslr?

I try to decide between leds like mangrove or keldan (about 4000 lumens) and 50w hids from light monkey.

Willl use them with tokina 11-16 and tokina 10-17mm and I`m a bit afraid that they will not cover the full field of view.

Since I film mostly in caves black vignette is not gladly welcome :lol:

Piotr

I have never tried the Mangrove lights but was significantly impressed with both the Keldan Luna 8s and 4s. Wide field of view on both, no hot spots and very high quality in terms of build.

Steve

As an owner of 40 watt HID's and I have seen and the Light and Motion 4000's

I personally am not a fan of HID's anymore, they take time to come up to temp, bulbs are expensive to replace and the colour temp just seams a little bit to harsh and magenta, LED will be the future I'm positive. LED's look like they are getting better and I will upgrade to a set in the near future. My shortlist would be the Gates VL24's at the lower colour temp, Keldans or for a cheaper option which look great are George's 4000's LED from HDV Seatek. George seams like a lovely chap and the product looks very well made.

I started out with a set of 10w HID lights. They had a pretty good width but took about 30 seconds to come upto temp & the bulbs are very easy to break & also expensive to replace.

They also had a hotspot right in the middle of the beam & no way to drop the power levels so any macro shots were totally overexposed.

I know have a set of L&M sola 4000s & LOVE them!

The battery is contained within the light so no hanging cables to get stuck on things, a nice even beam & i think around 90 degree wide from memory. Plus the fact that i can switch between 125 lumens right upto 4000 lumens means i can shoot just about anything on a dive.

For me, i will never go back to HID.

Cheers Pete.

I got a pair of Mangrove 4320 Lumen and they have a nice 120° wide light output,

while my buddy's Fa-E-MI 50W HID have a strong hot spot what i don't like.

I also guess that his 50W HID are not stronger if a flood reflector with the same width

would be used.

Chris

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements