Sign in to follow this  
cardash

Lens reflections

Hey, I`m new to dslr thing, so pardon for my lack of basics ;)

I have a canon 550d with tokina 11-16mm, aquatica housing, 8 inch dome port with shade and proper extension ring.

And this is what I get, how to get rid of this?

It was shot on 11mm, and with two hid lights.

Help needed.

20120622-e13tuxqpdxx67ng6iku4kp73fe.preview.jpgClick for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

Edited by cardash

Couldn't play your film to see. I had this problem only once many years ago filming the pirahna in shallow water in the Amazon. In trying to shoot up the sun and water's surface provided a strong reflection of the cam lens. Shooting downward prevented that. Because I couldn't see your film I can't tell what your depth was.

Steve

I can't tell what your depth was.

Steve, I`ve put just the screen shot, it was easier than full video.

It was mostly shallow but not always. It is in the same place on all clips, regardless of the depth and angle of the sun. Of course the more light there is the stronger it is.

Here are some more screens from the same dive.

20120622-kt731kaurt42829y24utdyb3jn.preview.jpgClick for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

20120622-xkq8jahy62r6uun82jhj7m9pr3.preview.jpgClick for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

20120622-qnkeg8f2pt2eikq4wb29r7rjf9.preview.jpgClick for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

And here is another one, a bit deeper, 28 meters.

20120622-tbc66ns718si2a3i35peq1yj2i.preview.jpgClick for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

Well, for starters, some joker drew blue arrows all over your dome port!

In all seriousness, though; is it a silver or other brightly-colored piece that is reflecting? If so, taping over it or painting that piece matte black may help.

well, as blaisedouros already mentioned,

use a black Sharpie pen to darken all reflecting writings, stripes or whatever decoration on your lens.

This will help in shallow waters to avoid reflections from sunlight.

As you have the same problem at 28 meters the reflection must come from your lights creating

reflections in the dome port.

The only way to avoid that is to move them in a position in order that their light is not hitting the dome.

Depending on the width of your lights

- If they have a flood reflector turn them more outwards and/or a bit more foreward

- if they have a rather concentrated beam, set them far outside and turn them inwards to point them

to the subject.

Chris

tokina_11-16mm_f2.8.JPG.jpeg

Bingo! Thank You. It turned out so simple I feel bad for asking the question ;)

On this picture we can see the silver ring on the side of the lens.

I had diy arms to test the lights on those two dives and they were fixed in one position producing the same reflections on both dives. Now I know :)

Thank You.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements