Scubysnaps

NEX7 macro examples please

Im curious to see what people have achieved getting macro shots with the NEX 7. Please post them here and comments on your experience on achieving it such as aperture and shutter speed and flash control , lens and settings used etc. it would be much appreciated.

I have been looking at these. Appears 30mm is the way to go in addition to a wet mount diopter.

• Like 2

I have been looking at these. Appears 30mm is the way to go in addition to a wet mount diopter.

http://nauticam.smug...34406&k=qgRHJfT

The 30 mm macro lens focuses so close to the port that adding a wet diopter is not going to do much at all, but you can get some nice 1:1 shots with it. I will post some in a bit.

Bill

• Like 1

This link contains text from my review for UWPMAG.com and images from the NEX-7, 30mm macro lens, Nauticam NA-NEX7 housing, Nauticam macro port for Sony 30 and Panasonic 45 macros and the Nauticam 45 degree finder.

Adding a +10 closeup lens only gets you from 1:1 to about 1.1:1 at half the distance to the subject which is almost against the lens glass. A placebo at best and not worth your time.

The continuing problem for NEX underwater is lack of quality lenses in the macro and wide ranges. The 18-55 "kit" lens works well for closeups with or without a closeup lens but is average in image quality at best. If this is the only lens you intend to use you would be better off with the NEX-5n which does not show the flaws in the lens as much.

The Olympus E-M5 with the Panasonic 45 macro or the Olympus 60 macro coming late this year would be a much choice image quality wise.

Phil Rudin

http://www.scubaboar...ml#post6428701

Edited by Phil Rudin

That wide zoom is rumored to be a 16 to 50 F/3.5 to F/5.6 lens. Not much of improvement over the 16mm F/2.8 and 18-55 F/3.5 to F/5.6. While it may have better I.Q. but at 16 on the wide end it is hardly what most will want for underwater W/A.

A 10-17with the E-mount would be more in line with the competition.

by comparison the M43 systems have a choice of an 8mm fisheye, an excellent 7-14 and 12mm F/2 and the 9-18mm zoom. The most narrow of these at the wide end is the 12mm equal to the NEX 16 or 24mm in 35 terms.

The best lens for the Nex-E-mount remains the Sony?Ziess 24mm F/1.8 I reviewed for UWPMAG.com in the current issue.

Phil Rudin

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/category/rumors/page/6/

Thanks for the links, much appprectiated...hmmmm (rubs chin!)

More welcome :)

On a recent trip to Komodo I used the kit lens with an added Inon 165 or a Subsee +10 for super macro.

The 30mm is okay for fish but not very good for small macro.

the 16mm with the dome port is terrific for wide angle

Sorry pretty new to this how do I add in images to my post?

Sorry about newbie question

Thanks Aliens, pics would be great to see, although I'm a little apprehensive to go back to compact wet lens converters......to get photos up, the best way is to create an account on an independant photo site such as www.photobucket.com then upload your photos there, then paste the IMG file into your post here

Thanks Aliens, some nice deopth of field there, cheers :)

At the moment I'm holding my breath for the next DX still, I'm gonna give it to Spetember and if nothings emerged by then I'm gonna go for the D800

....well thats todays decision!

sonyalpharumors has been reporting that three NEX lenses - a 11-18mm pancake, a 16-50mm pancake, and a fast prime - will be introduced in September, as well as a new camera line, NEX-6, with build-in EVF positioned between NEX-7 and NEX-5N/5R. We'll know soon! Edited by A.Y.

I'd suggest a D800 for weekdays and an NEX7 for the weekend...

But what about the holidays! smile.png

edit: why don't the smiley's work for me?

Edited by JimSwims

What about for Christmas!? :)

I'd suggest a D800 for weekdays and an NEX7 for the weekend...

Oh...

... ha, ha, ha, ha...

Tim

Hey Paul,

I use the NEX-7 not for underwater at the moment, but under the follow links you can find a lot of pictures from the NEX-5N with the Sony E 30mm Macro.

Gangga Island 2012

fresh water pictures

Tino

Hey Tino,

What a mammoth superb collection of photos of your trip to Gangga Island, thank you for showing me your examples, very impressed :) Now I might wait for that NEX 6 A.Y. mentions!

Sony's leaked nex lens roadmap. Appears a wide angle zoom is due this year. Would be good to get a 60 or 100 macro but does look like its happening this year

http://2.static.img-...dmap.jpg?v=1548

sonyalpharumors just revealed the Roadmap's 2012 Large Aperture Standard will be a very small 35mm F1.8 (52.5mm equivalent).

NEX lens system should look like this at the end of the year:

10mm Fisheye Converter for 16mm F2.8

11-18mm (2012 release)

12mm Wide Converter for 16mm F2.8

16mm F2.8 Pancake

16-50mm F3.5-5.6 Pancake OSS (2012 release)

18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS

18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS LE

18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS

24mm F1.8 Zeiss

30mm F3.5 Macro

35mm F1.8 (2012 release)

50mm F1.8 OSS

55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS

LA-EA1 Lens Adapter Contrast Detect AF with 18 A-Mount SSM, SAM Lenses

LA-EA2 Lens Adapter Phase Detect AF with 34 A-Mount Lenses

11 E-mount lenses in 2½ years = 4.4 lenses per year so far. E-mount roadmap shows 4 more in 2013.

I've noticed Sony has been duplicating A-Mount lenses in E-Mount so my WILD GUESSES on the 2013 are:

G High Performance Standard Zoom: 16-50mm F2.8 (based on A-Mount APS-C 16-50mm F2.8)

Mid Telephoto: 85mm F1.8 or F2.0 (based on A-Mount 85mm F1.4 Zeiss, 85mm F2.8)

Hey... my WILD GUESS on the 11-18mm seems to be happening! biggrin.png

Edited by A.Y.

Love your photos! Really great shots and good resolution from the 30mm macro. I just purchased a NEX7 system to replace my NA-600D T3i because of the weight and bulk traveling. Mostly I do large prints of macro abstractions and wanted the 24MP sensor for going as large as possible in a compact system. I have read the 30mm macro isn't a good mix for super-macro with a Subsee +10. So I'm focusing on centering it around the 18-55 kit lens using a combination of diopters. Hopefully a longer sharp macro will eventually be released for the Sony E-mount. Your photos look great and certainly give some credence to the 30mm macro set-up. I was wondering if you used a diopter with these shots or are they just 1:1? Again, great photos: good composition and detail. Thanks for sharing.

hey Marsh

im looking in to getting the nex7 now with the nuaticam housing with the 18-55 lens. ive been using a canon g12 now for about 2 years and recently got the subsee 10+ to go with it but now its time to move on to something a bit better ive been looking for a good 3 months now and with just 10 days to go till my next trip i need to buy now and a local shop has the case and all ports ready to go. so would you still Recommend the sony as a lot of people are telling me to buy the olympus em5 over it but i was set on the sony. well any help would be good i just need to know if this setup is going to be good for next 4 odd years as i cant buy a new one every 2 years at that cost.

ps i love macro as well so i well need to crop as well but keeping the detail

thanks for any help you can give Ian

In no way is the Sony NEX7 with the 18-55 zoom a better choice than the Olympus E-M5 with the 12-50 zoom. I am sure you will find at least one owner to tell you the Sony is the better choice. If you read the large number of reviews and posts on this site and others like Scubaboard in regard to the E-M5 you will see that as a system the NA-EM5 system is much better.

Phil Rudin

• Like 1

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply. I've been out today and played around with the Olympus in a shop. I like the feel of it and it was the first time I actually held one. There is going to be a lot to learn for me from the G12!

Do you think that I should save the money and buy the kit with the 12/50 lense and buy the cheaper dome port and then wait and buy the 60 mm macro lense and port as the money for the 12/50 port with the macro function is quite expensive. I will still use the flip holder for the Subsee wet lense with the 12/50 dome until Nauticam produces the new port for the 60 mm.

Thanks,

Ian

Sponsors

Advertisements