Sign in to follow this  
Paste

300d/d70

That pretty much sums it up, thanks!

I think it very unlikely that Nikon and Fuji "consumer" DSLR's will move away from the 1.5x DX sensor format.

Cheers

James

Nikon lenses I have/use underwater:

12-24mm

16mm fisheye

17-35mm (my favorite still)

60mm macro

105mm macro

200mm macro

Others used, but not by me, at least not yet:

10.5mm fisheye

18-36mm (cheaper alternative to the 17-35mm)

70-180mm macro

Topside, some would say Canon has an advantage with a better selection of L and IS glass. I would agree with them. Nikon has been catching up, but Canon still has an edge.

The underwater world tends to favor very wide angle and macro.

I'm pretty familiar with the commonly used Nikon lenses...What do the Canon folks do? Reading this thread makes it sound like there's nothing usefull in the Canon lineup, but I know there are plenty of people using Canon glass UW. Are they really just making do with an inferior selection?

(Paste - If this is deviating from the intention of your original post too much, let me know and I'll start a dedicated thread)

luminary - this is certainly one of the things I want to know; the UW useability of Canon lenses. No need for a new thread.

Underwater, I mostly use either the Canon 100 mm macro or the Sigma 50 mm macro (on a 10D) since the Sigma goes 1:1. As for wide angle, I use the 16-35 L glass and it is quite spectacular. I haven't gone to the Sigma 12-24 but for 95% of what I want one of the three lenses above serves well. I like the 50 mm a lot since it is good for 1:1 macro and for fish portraits, the 100 mm macro is good for really tiny stuff.

Canon 17-40 L is an AWESOME lens underwater. It's not really wide, but it spent a ton of time on my camera on my last trip. Substitute the 16-35L here as well, it's comparable. The Canon 100mm macro is also pretty darn good, very sharp, reasonably good AF, I just haven't had enough time to use it yet. I also managed to get a Canon 28-135IS housed, although the useable range was limited to 28-80mm. Nice lens though. I may put some more effort into getting it to work through the full range. I own other lenses, but these are the primary one's I use UW.

My next lens for UW use will likely be a Canon 15mm fisheye. I might try to get a Sigma 12-24 as well, but that's a ways out really.

What about that thing I don't understand, the flash sync speed? What will it do for me UW?

Not much use underwater. If you are shooting fast moving subjects beyond strobe distance, then you need a faster shutter speed to eliminate motion blur. The only problem I've had is sea lions zipping around in the background.

I strongly disagree with this. Eliminating motion blur is only one function of a faster shutter. The shutter speed determines the ratio of natural light to strobe light since the strobe exposure is independent of it. That's an important degree of freedom. Increasing the flash sync speed increases your exposure range and can make a big difference on shots with bright sunny background. IMHO, it is the most important difference between the D100 and the D70.

Canon glass I've used underwater so far:

17-40L - I've been really pleased with this lens. I think it's a great all-round underwater lens. I've used this about 85% of the time.

Tamron 90mm macro - does 1:1, is quite cheap and optically brilliant. AF is crap. I think I'd buy the Canon 100mm though for underwater use.

I think a 12-24 that can be easily housed would be the main thing on my canon wish list - I haven't heard of anyone actually using the fat sigma 12-24 underwater yet.

Do you really need a 10.5 fisheye? I can live without it, it wouldn't determine my choice of system.

I'm tending towards downgrading to a 300D for underwater use due to the availability of cheapish housings and the tantalising posibility of TTL strobe. I'd go the 1DMkII if someone would build an affordable housing and promise me eTTL2 support!

But there's a Sigma 12-24 for Canon, right?

Hejsan Paste,

I bought the 300d with the intention of using the Sigma 12-24mm housed in Ikelite. (Ikelite because of their supposedly superior service, as opposed to Aquatica, which some of my buddies have had trouble with, and also because of the availability of housing right now). However, I only just was made aware that Ike does not at least yet have ports that will house the sigma 12-24mm. So if the 12-24 lens is really important to you, the you'll be better off with the Nikon... but you willhave to wait for the housing a while. Topside, I am really happy with the dREBEL. I find it a bit sad that it gets the "Cheap treat" because it is a truly great camera. The proof is in the pics, not in the tag. Another thing to keep in mind is that soon we will look back at the 6.3 m cameras and wonder why we paid all this $$$... All the best from a former vasteras roedeers fan...

Only in Asia...:-)

I agree the D-Rebel takes EXCELLENT photos - as do the photographers I know here who use it.

Cheers

James

All the best from a former vasteras roedeers fan...

What are the odds? A Vasteras Roedeers fan at a UW photo forum!!! :)

I must say right now I'm leaning towards the 300d, even though I might change my mind tomorrow. The TTL is mighty tempting, especially since I don't get to dive very often. Of course, I could do an insane amount of pool diving taking pictures of rubber ducks and dead sea shells on the pool floor, or aim to master the art of shooting perch and pike in <1m viz...

I just might end up flipping a coin to decide!

So because Ike does not house the 12-24 you suggest that they get a completely different camera?

I have never had anything but great Aquatica service. Actually outstanding service. Now I live in Canada where they are located so I am unsure if that has part to do with it. If you like the 300D then either wait for Ike or look at the Aquatica again. I was told it will fit the housing and ports they have and judging by the photos they should be out and ready to go very soon.

You could also check digideep for listings of other housings available. I believe the UK is out.

I've got to agree with Todd, I wouldn't switch camera systems simply because one housing manufacturer doesn't make a housing for a given lens. Conventional UW wisdom says look at the available housings for a camera before buying it, but the 300d looks to be one of the better supported bodies out there, especially as compared to other Canon's like the D60 and 10D.

In the case of the Ikelite housing, it's not likely that you will be able to house the 12-24 in the near future, as increasing the maximum diameter of their ports would be a major retooling effort. Other manufacturers do provide larger diameter ports, although you may need a custom zoom gear to handle the Sigma 12-24 for some period of time.

Just a few thoughts...

Tom

jonah will house the sigma 12-24 for the 10D, so i assume they would do it for their 300D housing as well.

/paul

Nope, I am not saying that at all if you read my post. I am saying to be aware of the fact that drebel+ike is not compatible with the wide 12-24mm. Anyhow, Nikon has a better selection of super wide angle lenses than Canon. Selection of camera and housing is of cousrse dependant on what kind of shooting yo are planning to do.. and for some of us, also... belive it or not... the price of the complete package. The drebel and the ike housing, as well as Sigma lenses are appealing to those of us who want to land withing a certain budget. However, if money is no object whatsoever, the the selection of housing etc is of course wider.

Will find a lens to see if we can get the 12-24mm Sigma done. We can machine ports to accommodate its 3.4" diameter............

ike is fantastic! PAste, maybe we will get your "abborrar' and "gaddor" in a wa shot after all! :wink:

I shoot Canon UW and have used the following lenses:

EF 15mm FE (works great behind a 6" dome...no need for a bigger, more expensive dome) Check out www.naturescapes.net for a shot taken with this lens.

EF 16-35L

EF 28-105 (full zoom range behind a flat port) used in conjunction with Woody Mayhew's push on diopter

EF 50mm F2.5 Macro

Tamron SP90mm F2.8 Macro (I have no issues with AF, much slower than an EF but what lenses aren't when compared to a ring USM?)

Don't feel the need for a 12-24 really as the 15mmFE is wide enough....besides, I'm still holding out for a cheap full frame DSLR from Canon...yeah right!

Stu

I am a full newbie to Digital Underwater photography. However, I have been taking pictures with my Nikonos V for the last 5 years.

99% of my underwater photography is Macro and I use a 35mm with extention tubes with a sub-strobe 50.

I would like to continue to take Macro photography, increase my lens selections, and move into the digital arena.

However, I am confused on a couple of issues.

1. Is the Flash-Sync on digital cameras needed for macro uw photography?

2. Will I be using a strobe or a different type of flash unit with my digital camera?

3. Is TTL needed for digital macro uw photography?

I am leaning towards the Nikon D70, since I already have 2 Nikon SLR (film Cameras) and several lens.

Will the D70 meet the needs of UW MACRO Digital Photography and what kind of flash or stobe unit do you recommend?

Regards,

Jamene

So because Ike does not house the 12-24 you suggest that they get a completely different camera?

Absolutely!!!! I do think that the DX fisheye and 12-24 DX should be major considerations for anyone investing in a dSLR right now. Short of the 1Ds, these F mount lenses are arguably our best options for superwide angle digital. We aren't talking about switching systems here - we are talking about choosing a system for those that don't have much invested in either mount.

A year ago I was shooting my D100 with a 16mm fisheye, the 12-24 is soooo much nicer and the 10.5 is dreamy.

The quality of image capture is very similar between DSLRs, and I feel that we are finally getting beyond megapixels and bits back to picking a system that offers you lenses and accessories that suit your needs best. Since I love super WA photography, that leaves me between the 1Ds, and Nikon's DX format. If your interest is in macro photography and you prefer TTL - the aquatica housing might sway you the other way (although don't you need extensions to increase Canon's macro lenses to 1:1?).

As far as the TTL advantage - remember that this is no feat of Canon. It is equally likely that Nikon's iTTL will be figured out and applied by a housing mfr. Frankly, I would wait to see this in action. Remember how much trouble the early Ike TTL systems had....

Personally, the 1Ds is calling my name - but I have way too much invested to switch systems. I've persuaded 3 different people to purchase the 300D and Ike housing since it came out - at the time it was the best buget system out there. Right now, however, I've changed my tune to the D70.

1. Is the Flash-Sync on digital cameras needed for macro uw photography?

All cameras have some type of flash sync. Current DSLR have a max sync speed of 1/125 to 1/250. This sync speed will not matter for macro photography. The flash will be the light source for the scene. The duration of the flash is far less than the shutter speed. Changing shutter speed will not effect the exposure.

2. Will I be using a strobe or a different type of flash unit with my digital camera?

Strobe

3. Is TTL needed for digital macro uw photography?  

It is not needed, but sure comes in handy. I miss it.

Will the D70 meet the needs of UW MACRO Digital Photography and what kind of flash or stobe unit do you recommend?

Absolutely. I would recommend any of the following: Ikelite DS125, Sea & Sea YS90DX or INON 220.

While it is physically possible to use your SS50, you will only get a full dump in manual mode, since you cannot use TTL. It is possible to use it as a slaved second strobe.

The Nikon SB800 and older SB's take 4 AA batteries, so they are about as powerful as a DS50 or a Sea and Sea YS90

Hope that helps,

James Wiseman

The SB80DX is quoted as having a guide number of 38m at 100ASA for a 35mm lens. Using the old "divide by about 3" this would give a GN of approximately 12m underwater.

This compares to an SB105 which gives me a GN of about 8 from experience (ie f8 at 1m for a M Full exposure).

So there might be one F stop in it.

One advantage of the SB80DX for macro is that the zoom lens is that the flash head zooms with your lens (if it is a zoom lens) or sets itself to the focal length of the lens you arte using.

The not only increases the effective GN at longer focal lengths, but more usefully for me, it means that when shooting on DTTL I use much less battery power (because flash is not wasted on a wide beam - that isn't needed for macro. I use Energiser Lithiums in the SB80DX and they last for nearly a week of diving. Very impressive.

Alex

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements