loftus

iGills - is this my next dive computer and camera rig

This evolution was bound to happen I like to hear your review soon .-)

I think this shows a couple of interesting trends:

* Smartphone cameras will eventually kill all, but the very top segment of compact cameras.

* As more cameras get a touch screen interface, we will get housings with built in electronics and controls

Can you get wide angle and fisheye adaptors for it? I recently got the iPro Lens kit for my iPhone and it really enhances the usefulness of the phone camera.

Personally I would rather keep my wrist mounted dive computer and regular camera. I don't see the need to potentially trash my phone by taking it underwater.

I never log my dives or transfer data from my dive computer so having my dive data stored on my phone is of little interest. I can't see me pulling out my phone and showing off my dive profile to my friends at the bar.

This seems like a complete gimmick to me that isn't needed and shouldn't be taken seriously. All your phone is doing is displaying data, an iphone is not exactly the cheapest display screen in the world. It's also not as convenient as my current dive computer, but i am sure there will be a wrist strap accessory for sale. Oh and perhaps they will also sell add on filters and lenses. The images and video will more than likely still be less than brilliant with such a tiny lens.

Call me a cynic, but i don't see this as a good idea or a needed product.

The images and video will more than likely still be less than brilliant with such a tiny lens.

Call me a cynic, but i don't see this as a good idea or a needed product.

You have some points there. But with the smaller lens - just look at some of the gopro videos... that's a pretty tiny lens!

Also, I like the idea that if I get lost at sea I can use it to make an emergency call. That's one function I think is really nice (even though admittedly you won't get phone reception at every dive spot, this could be a potential life saver).

Anyone get one?

I had one to try but my wife wouldn't let me use her iPhone in it.

Sponsors

Advertisements