Sign in to follow this  
MDB

Keep Film Setup?

For those of you that have gone from a film SLR to Digital, does anyone still use their film setups? I can't decided if I should keep my film setup or sell it and use the cash to buy a better digital setup.

Thanks

Mike

I think it depends on what your film setup is.

Film SLR housings have really bottomed out it seems. I was just watching on Ebay and a Sea and Sea NX90z in great shape went for $550!!!! Most SLR housings are going for <1,000

So I'd keep it for a backup.

Cheers

James

Seeing full nikonos systems (strobes and lenses included) on ebay for around $700 has made me consider starting with film instead of digital. Haven't commited to either yet.

I thought about selling mine, but the low prices for film rigs make it hardly worthwhile, so it's now a back-up. (I "preplaced" the housing and some other gear on the boat we'll be on in east indonesia next month before it left Bali in January.

Sold mine and wish I hadn't. Didn't get enough to make it worthwhile. Could have used it as a backup or for teaching. Still have lots of Nikonos gear.

If you are switching to a housing that uses the same ports, then it might be wise to keep it. You could travel with the housing unit and camera as the backup, without too much extra packing.

It's hard to beat a NikV w/15mm lens for wide angle in challenging conditions ie: strong currents, free-diving, etc. I'll be trying out a Nikon 10.5 with my Fuji S2 on my next trip and that will probably go a long way towards making up my mind on whether to dump my film housing or not. I would like to use both systems but the logistics of traveling with both just won't work for me but I definitly will be hanging on to the NikV.

Larry

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements