Sign in to follow this  
chphoto

Question about triple head clamp

Hi all,

I am not 100% new to underwater photography, but since I do it so infrequently I may as well be considered a novice. So finally I decided to add a second strobe to my EP-L1 housing. Since up until now I had the single strobe attached to the coldshoe on the top, I thought that I would replace double clamp with triple and attach second strobe to the additional arm.

My flashes are Olympus UFL1 and UFL2. They are not super heavy, yet I feel that clamp does not do a great job, in fact in the air it fail to support them in extended condition. Is this normal? Would it be fine underwater? Should I go with the different mount system? (keep in mind that I am going for compactness)

Thank you very much,

Eugene

I have a pair of triple-head clamps as well, not sure what brand, bought second hand. Have to admit to mixed feelings about them myself. Seems like they're either too tight (nothing moves) or not tight enough (everything is loosey-goosey). And that's with balls with rubber o-rings in them.

I think Inon now has a couple of 2-ball clamps with extra posts or whatnot for the saddle mount, as an option. I moved to having my focus light on the separate top ball mount (Ike housing) and no longer use my triple balls. I would not expect using a triple ball clamp for two strobes to work very well. You may have to go with a handle/tray for at least one of them.

Thanks for the response. Inon was a great piece of information - i got ordered a three call arm. Will give it a try. I hope not to have to go for the tray at the moment. Thanks!

Hope whatever you select works out.

p.s unless it's intended as a joke, you might want to proofread your "interests" statement...

I suggest you need to put your strobes on arms. Mounting them the way you suggest will not allow much variation in positioning, so the strobes will always be above the lens, giving either harsh shadows from the top lighting or making certain shots such as confined spaces and macro almost impossible.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements