Davide DB

Panasonic GH3 is (almost) here

First leak three days before the official presentation at Photokina.

49dfdc8fe1a0b856ea8a3a43946e13.png

Seems that the lens kit is the new 12-35mm f2.8 water sealed as the GH3 body.

Until now the specs seems to be:

GH3 Rumors specifications (with current probability status):

• Wheather sealed, metal body (99%)
  • Shutter button located similarly to G5 (99%)
  • Focus peaking and zebras (99%)
  • 920k or better capacitive touch screen (98%)
  • Improved EVF (99%)
  • 1080p48/ 1080p50/1080p60 at 28mbps, 50mbps and intraframe 72mbps (99%)
  • 1080p120/1080p100 special modes (limited time usage), 720p120/720p100 unlimited (44%)
  • WiFi direct with Android and iPhone applications with remote video capture (99%)
  • 1/3.5" mic input and headphone output (98%)
  • Supplied with new wheather sealed kit (55%)
  • And optional battery grip, of course, XLR mic input option (98%)

There is also a video from Panasonic USA which confirms some rumours.

72Mbit INTRA codec.

At 2:20 he seems Philip Bloom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiSwGHPJw74

Edited by Davide DB

It appears to have been improved in almost every area over the GH2, and the 72Mbps ALL-I should hopefully mean that hacks aren't required to get the best out of it.

This is going to be a hugely popular camera for filmmakers, and I'm fairly sure I'm going to be buying one of these, at least for topside video and stills, unless Canon comes up with something amazing very soon to replace the 60D/7D. Whether I'll take it underwater remains to be seen. I'm hoping the banding issues have been improved, especially in highlights. Also that a good sharp combo of wide lens and glass port becomes available (something that is apparently lacking with the GH2). Even so I might set it up as my u/w macro machine. I'm also intrigued to see how much quality one would lose by shooting 1080-60p and dropping a frame, compared to shooting 1080-30p (it would be nice to always have the option to slow overcranked 60p down to 30p, but not if the cost in quality for regular-speed footage is too high).

I was hoping it would be the same size as the GH2

Time to sell our setup? :)

Time to sell our setup? smile.png

Depends , if the Nauticam housing is similar price as the recent nauticam OMD E5 housing, $1300, i might upgrade. If the housing is the same price as the GH2 housing was, $2200, i will not upgrade.

Edited by Kevster
  • Like 1

The specs sound good and the camera looks very nice. Seems like Panasonic are finally being smart and giving customers much of what they want. Instead of trying to block the hack (as they did with the last production run of the GH1) they have seriously increased codec performance straight out of the factory...so might not even require hacking. Remains to be seen if the color banding issue has been fixed.

Now if only someone would make a SERIOUS underwater housing for the GH3...with glass dome ports.

Seems like an early Christmas...Nikon D600 and the GH3 both available soon! :)

And now we have one of the uilty:

http://philipbloom.n.../09/15/genesis/

He is under NDA until Monday but the film is on Vimeo and in the article he gave a lot of information:

What I can say is it’s a massive step up from the previous model and has a superb 72mb/s All-I codec which is a world away from the compressed as hell AVCHD codec that we are used to on many cameras and on all their previous G series cameras.

[vimeo]49420579[/vimeo]

Now if only someone would make a SERIOUS underwater housing for the GH3...with glass dome ports.

David at Scubacam will make you a glass port.

Anyone know if this is a "world camera"? i.e. Choice of 25/30/50/60 fps. Really hoping I can buy one here in Thailand (a 50Hz country) that will do 30/60 fps and not have to get one from overseas.

The housing for the GH3 may be a problem?. Check out all the buttons & dials on the top right hand side of the camera and they are all close to the shutter release. Seems like the key controls have moved from the back of the camera (GH2) to the top (GH3).

One good thing for the new housing will be the move away from having dual functionality of the main control dials on the top of the camera like the GH2. I found this to be pain to mount the camera in the housing, on the GH2 housing.

Compare GH2 v GH3

https://docs.google....yb3c/edit?pli=1

Edited by Kevster

I could not imagine a better housing for my GH2 than my Nauticam NA-GH2P.

The only downside, for a Nauticam choice on mirrorless system, is the policarboante ports.

Give me a glass port and I'm set

David at Scubacam will make you a glass port.

I thought Scubacam was a shop selling other manufacturer's gear.

Besides...also need a new housing for the GH3. :)

Grinder Nick...glass grinder ! Glass blowing is for cola bottles LOL

David

GH3 specs now confirmed.

Flash sync is still 1/160.

Anyone care to comment on the new video quality compared to a hacked GH2?( I am new to video)

I assume 60p is useful underwater for slow mo only?

post-595-0-49171900-1347882210_thumb.jpgGH2 housing will not fit the new GH3 from the look of it. Its much bigger so Nauticam and others will need a to develop a new one.This UW imaging lark is getting exhausting with new cameras coming out every few months. Then people expect the housing to be available almost immediately......and then they want to sell their old housing....and so on.Change of topic I am making something for this puppy. For video. It needs a nice tube and nice AF coated glass port.Got one glass port done for Peter but his is a XF canon.Watch this space.CheersD Edited by CheungyDiver
  • Like 1

As usual guys at P-V are a step ahead when dealing with Panny.

They "sent" a couple of guys at Photokina covering the Panasonic event. The reported back the event via twitter and there is a wiki page:

http://www.personal-view.com/photokina/coverage/gh3

Or you can just go on Panasonic Photokina press site:

http://www.panasonic.eu/photokina2012/

Or plain GH3 site:

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh3/

Fro video recording formats here the various features:

vrf_image01.gif

• Like 1

GH3 specs now confirmed.

Flash sync is still 1/160.

Anyone care to comment on the new video quality compared to a hacked GH2?( I am new to video)

I assume 60p is useful underwater for slow mo only?

No one really knows if the GH3 video quality is better than a well hacked GH2. Even the notion of "better" will have a different meaning for different people. I for one am not rushing out and selling my lovely GH2's...in fact just bought a 3rd body.

It's going to be several months before the full capabilities of the GH3 really get sorted out...and as far as I'm concerned I'm not very interested in drawing conclusions until I get one and do some serious comparative tests. The material released so far (particularly the stuff Bloom was DP on) looks promising...particularly the low light scenes...but essentially meaningless for making a comparison with the GH2.

From the specs the GH3 is a good camera...and Panasonic did a good job in breaking from the previous mentality of minimalism when it came to codec quality and bit-rates. The selection of codec alternatives and decent bit-rates is a great start. Depending on what comes out of the HDMI (4:2:2 ?) that could be a bonus for use with a Ninja, etc. No doubt V.K. will eventually hack the GH3. That's really something to look forward to!

I'm glad they have kept Ex-Tele...this is just fantastic for UW "fisheye-macro" type work. If they have solved the horrific color banding issue of the GH2 (when using AVCHD) that's also a big step forward. The different (and higher) frame rates 50p/60p are always good to have, perhaps more for topside work.

Perhaps the biggest let-down is that the new (Sony?) sensor is not multi-aspect (the GH2's was). Still, I can live with that if the new sensor is indeed better in terms of DR and noise.

So...if China and Japan don't do anything stupid in the meanwhile the first GH3's should be available in November. I'm not too worried about a housing...got an old Subal sitting in my workshop ready for conversion. smile.png

Edited by HDVdiver

Anyone know if this is a "world camera"? i.e. Choice of 25/30/50/60 fps. Really hoping I can buy one here in Thailand (a 50Hz country) that will do 30/60 fps and not have to get one from overseas.

According to eoshd, it's world cam. Can do 24/25/30/50/60p. yay!

Edited by escape

From the specs the GH3 is a good camera...and Panasonic did a good job in breaking from the previous mentality of minimalism when it came to codec quality and bit-rates. The selection of codec alternatives and decent bit-rates is a great start. Depending on what comes out of the HDMI (4:2:2 ?) that could be a bonus for use with a Ninja, etc. No doubt V.K. will eventually hack the GH3. That's really something to look forward to!

Yesterday the guys at photokina had the opportunity to shot some video on their sd cards. Video has been sent to PV for analisys already. Good news.

More have to come today.

http://personal-view...6#Comment_86256

It seems that the encoder has two, three times the power/memory of the GH2. So plenty of space for an upcoming hack.

Here a comparative table that will be updated as new info come out:

http://www.personal-view.com/photokina/coverage/gh2-vs-g5-vs-gh3

The different (and higher) frame rates 50p/60p are always good to have, perhaps more for topside work.

Unfortunately the 72Mb ALL-I bitrate works only for 24/25p and at 50/60p you get 50Mb.

Perhaps the biggest let-down is that the new (Sony?) sensor is not multi-aspect (the GH2's was). Still, I can live with that if the new sensor is indeed better in terms of DR and noise.

For what I understand it means that in video mode 16:9 the crop factor rise to 2.4 like the BMC.

The news about the sensor being Sony is yet to be confirmed. If true I don not understand Panny on this move.

Panasonic has a long history making sensors and the GH2 sensor dimonstrated its knowledge.

Outsourcing the core of the camera the risk to repeat the Nikon experience. I do not think Sony will sell the best and latest technology to its competitors.

So...if China and Japan don't do anything stupid in the meanwhile the first GH3's should be available in November. I'm not too worried about a housing...got an old Subal sitting in my workshop ready for conversion. smile.png

Yes.

BTW Seeing the new buttons layout I think would be a nightmare building a housing with ISO and WB button on the top. I mena form the usability point of view.

Edited by Davide DB

So we know nearly everything now about this camera.

I wrote nearly because Panasonic faced the photokina show as a bunch of beginners: two GH3 with a 0.4 firmware, no tech reps. but just marketing people. This resulted in various contradictions among different interviews and specs. sheets. Several no comment or maybe or I don't know on several questions.

Is it a Panasonic sensor? So it is not a Sony sensor? No comment

To me it just means that it is Sony sensor. Same error Nikon made. At first you are happy that you can save money but suddenly you realize that you no longer have people, skills and facilities.

Right now it seems that the HDMI ouput is clean but is 4:2:0. Maybe this is not of concern for uw filming at the moment smile.png

I think we will have to wait for a real GH3 on the shelf to understand what is under the cover for sure.

At P-V organized a donation to send some guys to attend at the presentation and interview a Panasonic manager. They went there with a pre arranged set of questions.

This is the resulting interview:

Or you can find all the Q&A written here:

http://www.personal-...erage/interview

There is also an interview by EOSHD with a Panasonic Senior Planner Engineer Yoshiyuki Inoue:

http://www.eoshd.com...e-panasonic-gh3

Edited by Davide DB

Unfortunately the 72Mb ALL-I bitrate works only for 24/25p and at 50/60p you get 50Mb.

72Mb ALL-I also works at 30p, doesn't it?

Can anyone explain why the 72Mb codec wouldn't work at 50/60p? The higher frame rates is surely where you want the higher bitrate? Being only 50Mb means that if you shoot 50p/60p as your "default" mode, and then want to drop a frame to get 30p for Vimeo or whatever, you're actually going to end up with only 25Mb. i.e. Roughly only a third of what you'd get if you shoot 72Mb @ the lower frame rates.

Some other things that concern me reading here are that it may have no zebras, no focus peaking, and no aperture control in video mode. Anyone have any firmer info about this?

Hi Nick,

Yes 25p/30p Pal/Ntsc have 72Mb ALL-I.

Several sources said that it's a world camera but I think we will have a NTSC and PAL version. Nobody knows even Panny at the moment.

The most requested features were HDMI 4:2:2, Zebra and Peaking. Till now it seems that Panny failed to deliver the most requested features. While pro and consumer divisions are completely separate, probably they feared to cannibalize other products. Actually in these two years after the launch of the GH2 a lot of things are changed. IMHO they should have pushed a little more on features. Anyway given the superficiality of Panasonic at Photokina we have to wait for the end of november to understand exactly what is shipped.

I saw a GH3 video from EOSHD but as usual, this guy cares only to show his ego. He posted a edited video shot at photokina,. He converted and heavily graded it so we haven't further info on the real quality. Just one thing: everybody noticed the heavy moire effect on the guiy shirt at the end.

http://www.eoshd.com...-sample-footage

Yesterday I read a comment on which I 100% agree (Except the released 1.0 firmware will change a lot of things respect the showed 0.4 fw at photokina)

The moirè/aliasing issue is quite evident.

ALl other manufacturers haven't found a way to eliminate it in sub 2k$ products (Althought Sony has much less than Canon).

If they let it in such a big event like Photokina, with official launch, I don't think they are going to solve it with firmware.

Sensor has a big role in this thing, and clearly GH2 sensor was good for pixel binning while GH3 one (Sony?) not.

So, now we have a good mirrorless camera, with lots of features, but it's no more something unique in the market.

With GH2 you could trade sensor's small size and related problems (noise, crop factor) with clean, crisp, almost RED-like detailed image.

Now, we have a DSLR like all the others, it has good dynamic range (I guess like - and no more - Canon, Sony, Olympus and Nikon), it has moirè and aliasing problems, it has the smallest sensor of the bang (together with Olympus).

If I am an APS-C user, I see not so many reasons to change the wagon anymore, while I was clearly tempted by the GH2 and even more by the idea of an improvement of it if without steps backwards.

Edited by Davide DB

Some sample videos are starting to dribble out now, but unfortunately none of them yet have been particularly useful. The video at https://vimeo.com/51245849 has an interesting scene at 01:13 where banding is visible in the highlights on the wall (unfortunately they don't say what codec they recorded in). I'm expecting that the GH3 won't handle highlights such as sunballs very well, but I hope I'm wrong. Other sample GH3 videos have shown increased moire over the GH2, but I don't think this is such a problem underwater where we are surrounded by a natural filter and have little geometry. It may be to our benefit.

Personally I still expect to get a GH3 when it's out, but the PMW200 in a Gates housing is definitely in contention as my next principal u/w camera.

Sponsors

Advertisements