Sign in to follow this  
magicfx

Nudibranch? North Ari Atoll, Maldives

black, as long as a finger nail,

can be seen on sandy slope of Constance Halaveli Resort lagoon.

(I dove in North Ari Atoll for almost 1 year, I have never seen this species anywhere else)

What's the scientific name of this species??

We need better images to identify. Know anyone with a macro set up?

Looks like some type of headshield slug...

While it certainly looks the same as Aglaja felis it would take specimen examination & possibly DNA analysis to confirm if the same species occurs in both the Maldives & the Caribbean. A simpler explanation is that its another all black aglajid species.

While it certainly looks the same as Aglaja felis it would take specimen examination & possibly DNA analysis to confirm if the same species occurs in both the Maldives & the Caribbean. A simpler explanation is that its another all black aglajid species.

Dear Lesile

Are you working in Natural History Museum of Los Angels?

If you are interested, I can help you collect some samples and send them to LA.

Thanks for the offer but we don't have anyone currently on staff who works on branchs (my own speciality is polychaete worms). If you really want an id why don't you contact Dr. Terry Gosliner at the California Academy of Sciences? He's one of the top experts for the Indo Pacific, the lead author on a recent big book on IP branchs, and a really nice guy.

His book is at http://www.amazon.com/Indo-Pacific-Nudibranchs-Sea-Slugs/dp/0970057431.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements