Sign in to follow this  
UWphotoNewbie

Lightroom vs Photoshop CS vs Elements vs Capture

I just bought a D600 which of course (unfortunately) means updating software too if I want access to RAW files.

I've always been a photoshop user although I did use Nikon Capture for a while along with CS1 when there was some sort of integration. I currently use CS5 with my D7000. Now I'm stuck with upgrading to CS6 if I want to open NEF files for the new camera. Adobe released the new version of Camera Raw today with support for the D600.

So what is the difference between Lightroom and photoshop? Should I be using lightroom instead of photoshop? I'm really a beginner to PS and mainly use it for RAW control and things like exposure, WB, color adjustments etc. I do go to black and white and HDR in PS. I don't really ever do any image manipulation so I don't need the "graphic arts" features in PS.

So, which product is better and for what? Which one do I want and if Adobe has Elements, why do they also have Lightroom?

I use photoshop and lightroom. I use LR the vast majority of the time and run some through CS6. However, there is one additional option you may want to look at. You could down load the Adobe's free DNG convertor and then use CS5 with bridge to edit your photos if you don't want to upgade. You can get it here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows

Hope this help. At least you would be able to start to use your D600 RAW images immediately.

Kirk

Why don't you download both and play with them for a month. Then you will know what suits you best.

Bill

• Like 1

I would suggest you start with LightRoom for both image modifications and storage . Then if you want more go with Elements. For the photographer, it has all you need. Full up Photoshop has over 1500 commands, 90% of which you will never use. It was initially developed for publishers.

I use Lightroom for storage of my rather extensive collection of digital photos and for basic editing before uploading them.

For further or in deep editing or corrections - especially backscatter removal - i use Photoshop even if Lightroom has a similar function.

I consider Lightroom as a very useful tool for a low price.

Chris

Thanks, I'll try a free download of lightroom. It sound like lightroom is a better simplified companion to photoshop than is elements.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements