Sign in to follow this  
shawnh

Manta Rays Under Attack – Will CITES Save the Manta

In the past 3 years I have traveled to the corners of the planet, to some of the most remote and inaccessible coastal regions, to document the unchecked and often secret slaughter of one of the most graceful, charismatic, gentle and vulnerable of marine species…the Manta Ray. Several years ago I teamed up with my good friend and uncompromising conservation photographer Paul Hilton, to expose this senseless destruction and to try to put an end to it.

This mission took us on an unforgettable journey, one that exposed us to constant danger, threat of violence, brutal conditions, exhaustion and incredible frustration. But what we were not prepared for, was the extent and brutality of the manta fisheries, and how the shark fin trader network had become the driving force behind this exploitation. What we witnessed tore at our hearts, blackened our souls, and all but crushed what hope remained within us.

MVI_2305c.jpg

ShawnHeinrichs-2011-07-01-at-20-54-31-Version-2.jpg

Read the FULL STORY:

Great article on a subject that needs more exposure. Congratulations

These are the Golden Retrievers of the sea. Hate it! Thanks for doing so much.

Shawn, thank you so much for bringing this to peoples' attention. It must have been so difficult to witness such gruesome slaughter. Let's just hope people pay attention.

-Gina

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements